View Single Post
Old 20-04-2016, 12:27 AM #1017

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBB View Post
I am one in the minority probably who would really like us to maintain the freedom of movement, but if we're going to do it, then we may as well do it from within the European Union where we have a say in what laws govern us.
Can I join your minority, as I can see the positive benefits of being allowed to move freely around Europe and be able to work in member states as well as have people working here from the EU.

It has certainly help Britain solve problems with skills shortages in the past. You just have to think back to newspaper reports talking about the growing number of European plumbers, and a like, coming to the UK because we had a shortage of tradesmen. How many cleaners, nurses and other health workers in the NHS are European? It also helps people born here to take their skills and work outside the UK where they might be a demand where there isn't in the UK. It works both ways.

The free movement of people part of the debate is just a smoke screen to cover up successive government failures to plan for migration into the county.

The government for years have known that we have had net migration into the county but they have failed to spend the money on the basic infrastructure needed to provide the services the influx requires and to maintain same level of service over the years. Because of this now we don't have the school places, houses, doctors, etc that we need. Then you add the cuts of the last five years because the banks made a mess of it and we are were we are. It is not freedom of movement policy that is at fault, but bad planning.

It is easy to blame the EU and the freedom of movement than for the politicians to hold their hands up and say "we messed up", because that is what happened. That is what UKIP are doing and now the far right of the conservatives have joined them together with a lot of the national newspapers to attack people that pay money in taxes and add to the wealth of the country.