View Single Post
Old 30-04-2016, 01:05 PM #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
These are the very first people to cry foul if the Muslim community is accused of sympathising with terrorists. It's fine though, to insult the Jewish community because they don't agree with Israel. The Left have always been anti-Semitic and it's frankly staggered me that Jews have contributed to their party funds. I hope that's about to end for good.
Its easy to generalize with a sweeping brush-stroke.
If I don't agree with Israel, that doesn't make me anti-Semitic, it just means I disagree against Israel's treatment against the Palestinians. I also disagree with how the Whabbis and Sunni's have treated the Kurds and Shiites in Syria but that doesn't make me Islamophobic and yet strangely enough, I've been outwardly accused on here of supporting terrorism because I don't support the anti-Muslim harder liners.

Quote:
worldwide Anti-Semitism is rife and it has been forever. The venom against Israel is just a convenient excuse for some people to hate Jews. What's more the ignorance and the denial about anti-Semitism is staggering. I've said this before I know, but even on this forum I've been told that people can't be racist about Jews because we own all the banks... and that any racism we might encounter is sufferable because we own Hollywood - and this was told to me by someone moaning about racism! These brain-dead opinions are upheld and encouraged by many on the Left.
Personally I think the terms used are inherently problematic and a large part of the issue. Criticism of Israel should be just that neither anti Semetic nor, perhaps more importantly anti Zionist. I criticise the policies of many countries. I criticise aspects of American policy but I am not anti- Americans. I criticise a lot of British policy but I'm not Anti- British.

Challenging anti-Semitism has been hard because then people do pull out the Palestine card and hide behind that and claim they are just anti-Israel and not anti-Semitic. This is further complicated because some of them are anti-Israel and not anti-Semitic, but some of them are anti-Israel and anti-Semitic and it's become a good disguise to hide behind. Unfortunately, criticism of Israel and anti- Semitism appear to bleed together and therefore, those of us who don't agree with Israeli policy are hugely wary of being misjudged.