Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

My Dad says the media and people have been saying this since the 1980s.

The point is,we have many different Parties now who most have crossover policies of the others in their makeup.
Political times change, as they did when Labour rose in the early 1900s and the old Liberal party started to fall away heavily.

People expect more and different things now,in my view both main parties should reach out more beyond their core support because that core support is now not going to be enough to win comfortably elections in the future.

What would now, in my opinion, wake up all Parties to connect far more with voters is a new electoral system.
Under this one,there remains the simple fact and only fact,and unrepresentative fact as to votes cast,that if people do not want a Conservative govt but do not vote labour, then a Conservative led govt is what they will get.
If they don't want a Labour govt but don't then vote Conservative then they are likely to get a Labour led govt.

Until those main Parties and one of them is the one I am in,are forced to realise neither now have any given right to govern alone and against sections of society,then little will change.
Both main Parties are to blame for losing touch,no longer do the Conservatives pick up disenchanted 'soft',(as to support), Labour voters and likewise Labour does not appeal to the disenchanted 'soft' Conservatives voters so fails to attract them too.

So for me,the problem is bigger than just losing touch,I think Labour would love to and I would like to see it too, really stand up for the people it did represent and get back in touch with them again however they would be pilloried in the media for doing so.

Because, politicians are always now looking at what the media thinks,what the outcry is as to social media now and so,as to both main Parties, we no longer really have politicians standing up for what they really believe anymore but for how the media particularly will respond to what they are saying.

He may well have won 3 elections,one very narrowly as to votes but for me really it was Tony Blair who took Labour away from its grassroots and Labour has a massive task in ever getting back to the full original core support it once had.
However the same too to the Conservatives,they were the Party near always commanding in excess of at least 40% of votes cast,they have not achieved that in near 25 years now in any elections.

Voters change and they are looking now for a lot more than before,if the main Parties sit back and lose more of that core support,the voting system will have to change, in order to satisfy the need that voters votes should be fully representative and inclusive.

Last edited by joeysteele; 24-05-2016 at 03:43 PM.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote