View Single Post
Old 23-06-2016, 05:35 PM #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster View Post
I don't know if you have ever read 'Mandingo', 'Drum', or any of the 'Falconhurst' novels by Kyle Onstott, Jamie, but they deal with slavery on a mid 19th century American deep south plantation.

Huge parts of the books deal graphically with the very real practice by the white men and women plantation owners being the ultimate abhorrent hypocrites in using male and female slaves for sexual gratification, whilst belonging to the class which deemed such slaves 'lower than animals'.

Not in the same league of course, but there is something distinctly hypocritical and off-putting in Georgina decreeing - rather sneeringly - that she would never introduce Jackson to her friends whilst coupling with him in the house.
I haven't read it but I love the analogy

I'd be inclined to think that it's a case of 'he's good enough for one thing but not good enough to be introduced to the family' but the thing that stops that from ringing true to me is the fact that they're carrying on on a TV show. So although she's said what she's said about him meeting her family and friends, she knows that those people are seeing her with him, so surely it can't be something that bothers her that much? It makes me think that perhaps it was an off the cuff remark and we're reading more into it than she intended? I'm not sure, I'm sort of on the fence about it. I do think she displays some snobby behaviour and saying what she said hasn't helped her, but she also doesn't strike me as a 'false' person who'd lead someone on. I think I'd give her the benefit of the doubt till we've seen more of her.

BBCAN: Erica | Will | Veronica | Johnny | Alejandra | Ryan | Paras
Jamie89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote