View Single Post
Old 29-06-2016, 02:40 PM #261
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Two incidents I heard about directly, today, from the source:

1) A friend of my wife lives in London, her mother is Greek and recently moved over here after her husband died, to live near her daughter and grandchild. Yesterday they were on the bus in the center of London - with her 6-year-old granddaughter I have to add - and a man went on an aggressive 10 minute long rant at her about how "the nation has voted and she needs to **** off back home" after he heard her accent. The bus was packed. Not one person said a word to help.

2) This one absolutely stunned me TBH. A Canadian guy we know - who is actually British - British parents born and raised, he was born in Canada and lived there until his teens (now in his 20's) and he still has a Canadian accent. He was out doing his shopping, was heading back to his car, someone behind him shouted "Go back to America we don't want you here" and when he turned around they punched him square in the jaw.

I'll also point out that I don't actually know that many people from outside the UK (most of my non-UK University friends "went home" happily after Uni) so it's not like I'm drawing from a huge sample size here. These are not isolated incidents, and they are not coincidences. England currently has a MAJOR problem with hate crime. The vote hasn't "changed anyone" of course and this isn't the majority of Leave voters or anything like that - bot those who DO hold these opinions are currently feeling bolstered and driven by an idea that "the country is behind them".

Oh and apparently it extends to Canadians and Americans, too?? It seems like anyone who doesn't have an English accent is fair game right now. To be honest, I don't imagine it's much fun having a Scottish or Irish accent and living in England right now, either.
It's only going to get worse, these people have think they've won and that their actions are now perfectly acceptable and they're only going to get louder and more violent because times are going to get harder and anyone that doesn't fit the mould will bare the brunt of the blame even though it's squarely down to Brexit for ****ing everything up.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote