View Single Post
Old 09-08-2016, 09:35 PM #501
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie89 View Post
I don't think it's overt racism btw, but I definitely think race has played a part in the popularity/unpopularity of the vast majority of housemates from ethnically diverse backgrounds.

The sad fact is that some of the public are racist, that can't be disputed, and yes some housemates can overcome that (Brian Belo/Shilpa etc) but that doesn't change the fact that for the most part, black/asian/indian etc housemates will always start off at a disadvantage that others don't face and will have to do more to be accepted.
I think it's pretty telling that the first and only ethnic winners we've had on this show both happened to win in 2007 - the year of racial misconduct in BBUK.

I think it's pretty telling that Danielle and Jack walked out of the house in CBB5 to cheers whilst Shabnam, Nicky and Charley all left to deafening boos just a few months later.

I also think it's telling that Conor walked out of the house with £50k in his pocket to a winner's reception whilst Shievonne and Deana were both booed upon leaving. The former he thrashed in the eviction despite being way worse and the latter which he spent the majority of his stay bullying.
Jason. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote