CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
EU referendum and Brexit
Brexiters are missing the point of Australian-style immigration
It is bizarre that Conservative leave campaigners want a system that would actually double immigration to Britain

It is wrong to say that Britain has no control over its border with the rest of the EU - more than 6,000 undesirable EU nationals have been turned back since 2010. Photograph: Oli Scarff/Getty Images
Alan Travis Home affairs editor
Wednesday 1 June 2016 13.26 BST Last modified on Tuesday 19 July 2016 13.04 BST

Share on LinkedIn Share on Google+ This article is 3 months old
Shares
Save for later
It has always been a bit of a mystery why the British Tory leave campaigners want to introduce an Australian-style immigration system that is designed to increase that country’s population and which even Migration Watch has said would be a disaster if copied in Britain.
I think and I'm not an expert on this by any means, that people confuse the points system with being why Australia has large immigration. Australia is a huge country and needs more immigration it's not the actual system they have that causes the size but because they want those people to come. I don't know why May doesn't like that system but I am sure there is some documentation about them already having tried it and why it wasn't liked.

I don't care what system we adopt but I do think we need some control over our borders, I think everyone does in the current world climate. Plus the free movement of people is an impossible and ridiculous system which will always be unfair because people want to go to wealthy countries so countries like UK get an imbalanced share of migration than other places which then puts strains on services.

Having said all that I didn't want to leave the EU over movement of people and the leave campaign meant diddle squat to me as my mind was already made up prior to their being a referemdum.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 06-09-2016 at 10:53 AM.
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote