View Single Post
Old 07-11-2016, 04:48 AM #37
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
Because there is not disrespecting of the vote going on here,the referendum only asked should we remain or leave being a member of the EU.
The vote was narrowly to leave.

How we leave, when we leave and on what terms played were referenced in no way on the ballot paper.
I voted remain but now want the process done as quickly, easily and fairly for the whole UK as it can be.

The only time a referendum result has been ignored in the UK was as I mentioned earlier, the Conservative govt of Margaret Thatcher dismissing the vote for devolution on a narrow majority in Scotland in the late 1970s.

So I see no reason why, and no major party save the Lib Dems are advocating not executing fully the referendum result to leave the EU as a member.

No one in the UK would want a referendum or any vote of the voters ignored.
Quite frankly that is not even being done here.

It is clear Labour would not vote down triggering article 50, so there is no reason in order to get things moving whereby the govt could not just hold a vote to set things off.
Which could have been done months ago already.
What are you so scared of as to elected MPs voting on very serious constitutional change for the whole of the UK, which actually should be their duty.
Why fear voters again in a general election, which would open up a lot of issues the public would hear as to leaving, and then give a strong new mandate to a party or parties to go ahead with the full process.

What is it you and others fear of that democratic voting process that you would rather it was not permitted at all, for MPs or even the voters.
You call that democracy and restoring powers back to the UK parliament, because it doesn't sound very democratic or restoring anything back to the UK parliament to me, I am sorry to say.
I beg to differ. The vote to leave came as a shock to many and one of the main reasons so many voted to leave was to be able to control our borders. It is a major concern for a Hugh amount of people. It was a crucial factor in the vote. For this to be interfered with and denied as part of the leave package would be a massive betrayal to the vote to leave and would amount to a reversal of the vote, don't kid yourself otherwise.

I don't know why you keep saying people fear a public vote - we have already had a public vote and the will of the majority was very clear. Believe me if the result had gone the other way and the leave camp wanted to interfere and change what was voted for the remainerswould be very unhappy. You can dress it up but that is what the remoaners are trying to do. The vote is complete. Of course how we go about it needs to be discussed but the core wishes of the majority cannot be changed.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote