Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
Brexit cannot be stopped because the public voted in a referendum to cease our membership of the EU,
That is the only concrete decision made there is anywhere at present.

How that is done has in fact many paths to the exiting process however.

Forgive me if I have this wrong, jaxie it appears wants a hard brexit if possible, that is fine and is what they want and see the as the best way for the UK.
Jaxie could well be right that it is and will be proven to be.
I always admire conviction to any cause when it is handled as enthusiastically as for instance Jaxie has.

For someone like myself and may I add Kizzy, we would prefer a more moderated brexit,one that retains some of what we see, (not what anyone else may think is not there),of the things that have been of benefit to the UK.
This could also possiblybe right and the best thing for the UK overall.

This is why I would in the light of the referendum narrow result,( Nigel Farage stated when it looked like a 52/48 result for remain, that remain had just 'scraped a win' and he'd have been right),I would now prefer to see a general election where the same people who decided the referendum, now also get to choose what exit process they really want and who to do it.

I said on another thread, you would have David Davis and Theresa May for the Conservatives likely advocating that harder exit line.
Fine again if that is their position and plan.

Labour would probably be advocating a lesser kind of brexit, such as remaining in the single market and maybe even a lesser action again as to the free movement of EU citizens.
again fine, if that is the position they take.

The Lib Dems would likely make it about seeking to remain in the EU, which in my opinion would fly in the face of the vote in the referendum.

UKIP we know would be in line with a harder brexit, they always have been consistent in that and at least we know where we truly are with them as tot his issue.

Just those very broad outlines however is a choice in itself.
Now it may well be that those who voted remain would get behind parties on the less harder brexit plans.
I would doubt many would actually go for the harder brexit of those who voted remain.

Then the same general election with those very basic guidelines and choices presented,would enable all those who voted leave to demonstrate clearly what exit strategy they really want and voted for too.
If they all wanted a harder brexit like say jaxie, fine they will vote for that and the result will come back loud and clear on that.
However maybe some wo voted leave do not want the harder exit strategy so may file off to a lesser exit strategy on offer.

The one thing that is certain from a general election, will be that the voters will not only have decided the UK must leave as a member of the EU but they will in that election too, choose the type of leaving they really want along with who and what party or parties they want to negotiate it.

I fear nothing at all from such a election,the voters will get their choice totally,they will also be voting with the hindsight of all that has gone on since the June referendum too.

The only people who need to fear voting are those who think they may likely lose.
In a democracy voting is the way forward on all things,I was one who lost the argument in the EU referendum as I was for remain, however now I want to see the exiting done.

I would prefer it done however with authority of how it is to be done, by at least all the elected MPs voting as to it in Westminster but preferably via a general election, where the real choice of how and when we leave of both the remain and leave voters across the whole of the UK, can then be made and known for certain.

Whatever the outcome of the then done negotiations and final deal cannot be moaned at by anyone, as full consultation, as much as there could be,would have been done for the process.
After that narrow majority of only 3.8% out of a total of over 33 million voters.

No micro management at all, just a broad set of guidelines to hopefully achieve.
It is surprising this is not the present govts; aim too to be honest.
Yes that's right Joey, I'd like to see a hard brexit which means leaving the EU with no concessions, even if that means no deals. The reason this appeals to me is that I want to leave with no restrictions and it seems clear there would be restrictions on a soft brexit. I think we would do far better to forge our own deals rather than to still be restricted by dregs or the EU. I think it would be in our best interests rather than having to make compromises we don't want to make.

But this is my personal view. I also accept other people want other things so there may have to be some compromise.

And thank you for actually reading what I've said rather than just dismissing it like others with a different view do. I admire you for that.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 07-11-2016 at 10:35 AM.
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote