View Single Post
Old 12-02-2017, 10:38 AM #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Totally disagree, it depends where you place yourself, I've seen a number of volunteers at my workplace end up getting employed, as long as you place yourself in the area you want to work in, get a qualification while volunteering or if you already have one, when a job comes up you have your foot in the door, management are more likely to employ you over an unknown, this doesn't work for every sector but it can't be dismissed across the board. Doing unpaid volunteering can be a stepping stone, as long as you aren't volunteering 5 days a week 9 to 5 and there is an end goal it can be a useful way of getting employed
If you get a qualification that's a whole other thing. If you prove yourself as a volunteer and that company is genuinely looking to take on a paid member of staff, then a preferred method of in house recruitment is going to probably swing in your favour.

I work for a very large nationwide company and we never accept references for voluntary work, even if that voluntary work was about getting work experience for the position they are applying for. I've never really understood why but I know its not unusual.