BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
This issue isn't a competition surrounding how many people signed a petition. It's like a silly points-scoring exercise, trying to have a debate in here. If you uphold the right the law allows for state visits, then you're a Trump supporter. I posted the petition supporting his visit as a way of showing that not everyone supports the hysterical opposition to a man who is not, in any way, the worst despot in the world but seems to have attracted the most attention.

If only there was as much passion about other world leaders, sadly there only seems to be a limited amount of bandwagons available at any one time.
Quote:
If this petition supporting Trump's visit had started first, I wonder whether the anti-Trump people would have thought making their views known was a waste of time?

As far as I can see the petition supporting Trump's visit has not been going long but it's climbing up nicely, and the more people see it, the more people will sign it. I think it sends a good message to our biggest export customer, that no everyone in the UK thinks Trump should be singled out from all the other odious, questionable world leaders we entertain.
Quote:
Well, the petition exists and now people who've had to listen to the endless rhetoric and histrionics since Trump was elected, have somewhere they can express their own view. That can only be good. Otherwise, just one side can harp on about how they have 1.5 million signatures and imagine theirs is the only voice. Let's see how this opposing petition goes, THEN we will have context because in the last half an hour it's risen from 89,000 odd signatures to 93,000 odd. It seems there are strong feelings on both sides.
Quote:
Good. Although I don't agree with you I do uphold your right to your opinion and to voice it.

Heading for 110,000 signatures now. Creeping up, isn't it.

I think those opposing Trump and those... (I hesitate to say "supporting him" because I don't actually support him, any more than I supported Putin when he had a State visit... or when Mugabe did... or the Chinese...) and those who believe he should come because he is the president of the USA, is probably on a par numerically. However, as with Brexit, those against make the most noise, the squeaky wheel if you like. Those who find themselves in opposition to the noisy ones use the vote to voice their opinion. They did when the Tories unexpectedly gained a majority at the last general election, they did when we voted to leave Europe and they will now.

A discussion on this is difficult because those who oppose Trump intimate in what they write that if you aren't with them on this, then you're a hard-right, card-carrying, cross-burning fascist.
You were incredibly competative at one point, sure you can change your mind about whether its a competition or not, but you were certainly scoring your way through the 'in favour of Trump' thread, with running totals in nearly every post you made.