View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 11:39 AM #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
The thing is, the fact that you have to ask is what makes it a bad idea to go into shared ownership of a property together in the first place. If both of you are so intent on having legal protections over owning it 50/50 then you're not really at the point in your relationship, I would say, where you are even ready to live together full term let alone share ownership. Have you been in a long term / committed relationship before? I don't know what to tell you other than that having to take out legal documents in order to trust each other is simply not normal, at all.
I think its a good idea to have a pre-purchase agreement. There was a couple on a boat yard we were once on who lived in his Dutch barge that still had a mortgage on it. They had no such agreement but she was his life partner so she shared the bills, including money towards the mortgage. He died suddenly and his greedy family descended on the boat and took everything. There was nothing put in place to protect her and so she lost her man, lost her home and got nothing.