View Single Post
Old 19-05-2017, 10:48 AM #16
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Oh no I haven't forgotten that about Christianity believe me but I'm talking about the present, we don't need another religion coming in and trying to drag us back there. Also, I'm certainly not one to defend Christianity ever, Ireland is still dealing with the after effects of what the Catholic church did to people in the not so distant past particularly women and children. The point is, we should be trying to get religions away from having any influence on state and schools not encouraging the state to start funding more religions who are even less forward thinking than the ones we had
The idea that an influx of Muslims is going to drag us backwards is just (unlikely) hypothesis, though. A bit of a distraction when we are currently, obviously and demonstrably, being dragged backwards by an uprising of 50+ year old white people who want to reverse the clock to the mid 20th century when women, to be honest, still weren't being treated particularly well and life was a nightmare for any sort of minority or non-conformist.

It just bewilders me that people are so busy looking to the middle east in absolute horror thinking that an influx of "strange cultures" from thousands of miles away are going to "change our way of life", and our media is so busy reporting on just that, that the very real, current and threatening revival of European fascism much closer to home is going almost completely un-noticed. Subtly in countries like ours (including Ireland and Scotland, sadly) but also quite openly and obviously in Eastern Europe. People are just ignoring it. The "never again" mantra from WWII has been proven to be almost hilarious levels of hot air. No one seems to give a **** that it's happening again.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote