Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I've highlighted the operative phrase. It's a backward thinking religion that treats women like second class citizens, sell off female children as brides, kill women they think offend the family etc. etc. etc...... and I don't want it spreading until they can address that.

Lumping Islam in with other religions that have evolved to be inclusive of women... even if that inclusion isn't perfect yet... is offensive. But then. religious people are allowed to be targeted because people who don't believe can't understand them.
I think for me the problem is more about religion creating rules for people to live by, often rules that include what amounts to child trafficking, cruelty, abuse, leaving women stuck in miserable lives with no recourse to escape, as you mention in your first para. Many religions seem to think that we have not progressed a thousand years and do not belong in the modern world.

Where religion doesn't interfere and gives comfort and attempts to modernise then it isn't an issue though I agree I do not particularly understand faith.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 20-05-2017 at 10:05 AM.
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote