View Single Post
Old 14-08-2017, 12:55 PM #21
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
Art can be both.

I'm not talking about a child's paint splodges but art with actual history and historical significance.

I suppose whether you agree with statues and regard them as "effigies" is by the by when I think we need to consider why these things are being destroyed /removed now in the first place. An attempt to remove their meaning from public consciousness most likely. Whatever next, close the museums and the history books in libraries put in a restricted area?

Also, in regard to what influences our "personal era" I find to be a slippery slope. There are a vast number of things from history that no longer have relevance to modern life or the way the world is today but still hold historical importance. That's no excuse to forget (or in this case attempt to remove all reminders from public consciousness).
They are an effigy.. that's a given an effigy is an artistic representation of something/one.
I haven't advocated moving anything from a museum have I? :/

Yes I agree they are still historically relevant I haven't disputed that at all, whether these are removed from public consciousness is subjective. Should nations have to live in the shadow of past dictators as their tyranny dominated a shared past?