View Single Post
Old 23-08-2017, 10:25 AM #24
-

-

On the thread topic, though, everyone has rights but there has to be a line and it has to be a sensible line. Do you think a non-white person living a few doors down from someone flying this flag feels safe?

People do have the right to express themselves and their beliefs but people also have the right to feel safe on their own street and in their own home. In cases like this, surely the latter trumps the former? Even if you believe that white supremacists "have the right to express themselves", attending rallies and soap-boxing and whatever - surely this shouldn't extend to intimidating people on suburban streets when they are just trying to get on with their day-to-day life?

I'll go back to my neighbours as an example, who like to throw parties every weekend and blast music until 4am. Do these scumbags have the right to party in their own home? To play the music they want to, when they want to, on their own property? Arguably, sure they do, I get that it's how they de-stress and have fun, and everyone is entitled to have fun and remove stress. HOWEVER - my autistic 5 year old daughter also has the right to be able to sleep peacefully in her own bed, so that she doesn't become exhausted and distressed. Me and the rest of my family have the right to get a good night's sleep before getting up for work at 7am on a Sunday morning.

And this is where there has to be a line; where something being legal doesn't mean it is acceptable or that it should be tolerated.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote