Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie89 View Post
I agree that it's fine to take the 'innocent until proven guilty' route and I generally agree with what you're saying about what probably led to his abuse (if it happened), but I think Marsh is right about The Truth's intention with his post.

This is victim blaming

Claiming to know the facts of the case and that the accusers are in the wrong, without the court process being followed first... this doesn't fit in with 'innocent until proven guilty' at all.

More victim blaming (and in doing so also answers the very question he's asking)

There's also a hell of a lot of men who sexually assault women and men in power who abuse their positions, so if this ^ is an argument for why women should be discredited, then the counter argument of why they should be believed is just as valid.

The Truth isn't simply saying 'let's not judge until we know the facts', he's trying to discredit the women coming forward and he's making generic statements that put fault on women who find themselves in these situations. He's assuming the women are in the wrong without knowing the full facts and then in the next breath saying we shouldn't be judging the man involved because we don't know the full facts.
Yes he's also saying that the court process should be followed which is true and 'innocent until proven guilty' is valid, but it's very hypocritical to say that and then position the women as either liars or partly to blame - that's taking a side, so you can't do that and then complain that you feel other people are taking a side too.
He’s not victim blaming he’s using sarcasm to throw doubt that these women weren’t complicit in any sexual activity and it’s his OPINION that they knew what they were getting into.
You can’t victim blame if you don’t think there are victims in the first place.
He can have the opinion that the guy is innocent until proven guilty which is a legal fact and have the opinion that the women are lying to stitch Weinstein up.The two don’t necessarily clash.He can think both these things at the same time.I bet many of these celebrities on Twitter believe in innocent until proven guilty too but still have opinions on what a monster Weinstein is.It’s ok to take a side and believe in due process apparently.
But none of this warrants someone being banned for their opinions.Imo.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote