View Single Post
Old 30-11-2017, 09:26 AM #7
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I heard on the radio yesterday - and I'm not clear how this all works - but a man had $600,000 worth of bitcoin on his hard drive, lost the hard drive, couldn't find it and consequently lost his money. And now it would have been worth $100,000,000.

He was "unavailable for comment".
Last seen heading towards the local landfill in a JCB digger.

(It's a cryptocurrency, people "mine" it themselves using high powered computers and store the data string which means the currency is stored as data... most of it is stored in secure, backed up online storage these days but it used to be more common for people to store it themselves on their own drives and if the drive then gets lost, damaged or corrupted then the bitcoin is "gone", just like if it was a wad of cash in a fire)

I've heard quite a few stories of people who just "dabbled" when it first became a thing and mined maybe 2 or 3 bitcoin (it gets progressively more complex over time - so it was easy to mine in the early days but now takes a LOT of tech / time / power) which were at the time hardly worth anything so they just got forgotten about, binned with old computers, wiped from the drive in an upgrade, etc. and now people are like " **** those would be worth twenty grand!!".

Also happier stories where people had totally forgotten they had a few of them from years ago then found their old computer in a cupboard and cashed in . I do think now really is the time for anyone in that situation to exchange them for cold hard dollaz though.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 30-11-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote