View Single Post
Old 02-02-2018, 10:30 AM #12
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
Changed my mind on this.I went to a C of E school and had a very positive experience.No indoctrination and no religion in the actual education and i was never a Christian even during or after going there.I did think why not just let them exist as they are harmless and the more good schools the better.

However the small amount of Islamic faith schools who peddle extremism have ruined that.
If you take religion out of education then you have to do it accross the board otherwise it’s seen as singling out one religion.

So now i’m in the take religion out of education camp.
I've heard this before, about people going to a C of E school and having a really positive experience. I wonder whether that is because the Church of England is quite progressive and inclusive compared to other faiths? There are C of E churches where vicars will marry you if you're gay, and will definitely bless your union if you're not. I got married in a C of E church, I would not have been allowed to marry I a synagogue because my husband wasn't Jewish. Sadly it's Christians a lot of the time who get the shtick, because there's little or no backlash if you're "calling them out on their archaic beliefs" but totally ignoring the other, less progressive religions for fear of offence. So I agree that some faith schools do a great job, I also agree that sadly, and as usual, we have to take the lead from those who are neither progressive nor inclusive and end faith schools completely.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote