View Single Post
Old 08-02-2018, 10:35 AM #68
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
TS, you are not looking at this from the position of the vulnerable but rather those that would infringe on them, and there in lies the issue.
No I'm just looking from the perspective of realistic outcome, like I said in the last paragraph... if it's an issue of comfort, then I totally understand where people are coming from. With regards to the refuge issue, do I believe that a man could access a women's refuge and actually assault someone? No... nor do I believe that it's likely that anyone would try. A predator isn't going to construct an elaborate scheme to wriggle their way into a situation where they're highly likely to be caught. Literal physical safety, I don't believe would be affected. But like you say - from the perspective of the vulnerable, there is still the FEAR that something might happen to them. They have been victimised by men, therefore having men around trans or otherwise (even if there isn't a literal risk) would still cause upset, fear and anxiety and that absolutely should not be overlooked. "You're not at any risk!" isn't enough... in fact, I am totally on board with the idea that anxiety and fear can actually be far worse than physical injury in many ways.

Same goes for bathrooms. I don't believe assaults are the likely outcome, but women feeling uncomfortable (and potentially, even choosing NOT to use public restrooms at all) is a very possible outcome and that shouldn't be ignored, either.

When it comes right down to it though, on that front... my local shopping mall has a large toilets area, no mens, no womens, no disabled: Just a long row of individual locking rooms that have a toilet, sink, baby change and disabled facilities, in every one. IMO that is the way forward in terms of both safety and inclusion... and in fact just in terms of general privacy for everyone. It's MUCH better. Awesome for families, too.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote