View Single Post
Old 23-02-2018, 09:12 PM #14
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
But they aren't, all organisations have HR, there are sessions on equality and diversity s well as safeguarding.
I work as a security guard 90% of my colleagues are men, 90% of the truck drivers who come through the gatehouse are men... And I have had an issue that warranted intervention once in 2yrs, and it was dealt with swiftly, I was kept informed throughout and felt very supported.

There are still people who say those things like 'you can't say anything' or blame 'banter' but luckily this really does seem to be changing... slowly.

Conversely I agree with you about the courts, where there does seem to be a very regressive vibe, which is really worrying.
The use of sexual history in rape cases and the very different way that high profile offenders are treated are prime examples.

I would go as far as to say the differentials are classist.
I would say you were 'lucky'. Obviously not that the situation needed intervention, but that you were taken seriously.

And I didn't necessarily mean at work (though have had my fair share of sexual assaults being minimized at work..had one boss trying to persuade me not to make a complaint as the guy could lose his job and that was 'too much' when all he did was grope me for a few seconds. No, I did not work for Brock Turners dad) but just..in general. No matter what a woman does (when the victim of sexual assault or rape), she is in the wrong. Especially, if there are enough complaints about the same person for it to make the press, or the story is 'interesting' enough for it to make the press. The victim blaming, the 'shes just being vindictive' the 'she is overreacting', 'she asked him out and he said no so this is revenge' and such come in force then.

Meanwhile, when a guy is raped and it hits the press, you see none of that. There is no speculation about if he was showing too much skin, no insinuations that he is to blame in some way, no disbelief by default. There shouldn't be either, incase someone reads this wrong. I am definitely not wanting male victims to be assumed to be lying. I am just pointing out the difference in treatment between the sexes in cases like this.

If he is sexually asaulted by a woman though..and especially if she was young and attractive, you do get some idiots (almost exclusively guys) saying he is actually lucky. That they would love to be assaulted by her, and such

Obviously maybe not every single case ever in the history of press has been like that^ Before someone goes and finds one comment of how a guy brought on his own rape, or something. But this is overwhelmingly the general tone, including in the 'justice system' rather than just the press/public opinion
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.

Last edited by Vicky.; 23-02-2018 at 09:19 PM.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote