Favourites (more):
BB17: Andy
BB14: Dan

Favourites (more):
BB17: Andy
BB14: Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
With 100% certainty, yes, some people would be doing exactly that.

For what it's worth, boringly enough, I'm middle ground on this one. Yes the language used goes too far and veers into anti-semitism. But I also think there's (plenty of) scope for criticism of Israel and Zionism, that has nothing at all to do with most Jews, but is very firmly "taken off the table for discussion" as people are afraid of being branded anti-semites.

The same goes for Islam of course; there's plenty of scope for criticising aspects of Islam, not even just the extremism but some of the general cultural attitudes, and those are shot down unfairly. However - as with the above - it would also be false to say that those criticisms never veer into the territory of Islamophobia.

It SHOULD be the case, on all topics, that people can raise any points they want to so long as they don't start generalising too much and answer things thoughtfully and considerately... But I think the world (and this forum along with) is not really "in that place", at least not right now.
I honestly can't think of one person here who would go to the extremes of denial that some Corbyn supporters have. Does May have fanatical followers? People are deserting their principles to defend this man, no matter what he has done or is doing.
Israel and Zionism are not the topic of this thread and were used repeatedly to divert attention away from Labour and antisemitism. I suggested several times to Red who professed great interest in those subjects that he make a dedicated thread as I would like to learn more about them, but this was ignored.
I agree with your last paragraph.

Last edited by jet; 11-04-2018 at 04:40 PM.