View Single Post
Old 11-04-2018, 09:07 PM #610

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
With 100% certainty, yes, some people would be doing exactly that.

For what it's worth, boringly enough, I'm middle ground on this one. Yes the language used goes too far and veers into anti-semitism. But I also think there's (plenty of) scope for criticism of Israel and Zionism, that has nothing at all to do with most Jews, but is very firmly "taken off the table for discussion" as people are afraid of being branded anti-semites.

The same goes for Islam of course; there's plenty of scope for criticising aspects of Islam, not even just the extremism but some of the general cultural attitudes, and those are shot down unfairly. However - as with the above - it would also be false to say that those criticisms never veer into the territory of Islamophobia.

It SHOULD be the case, on all topics, that people can raise any points they want to so long as they don't start generalising too much and answer things thoughtfully and considerately... But I think the world (and this forum along with) is not really "in that place", at least not right now.
Anti-Semitism in the UK is far more WIDESPREAD than Islamaphobia and HAS been for many decades.

EVERY single day, incidents by antiSemitic bullies against innocent Jewish people go virtually unreported - or if reported go virtually unnoticed.

Whereas supporting Islam and railing loudly against Islamaphobics is fashionable and Politically Correct, anti-Semitism is not such a big deal to so-called liberals and progressives - which is WHY Corbyn and his Labour Party have been TEFLON-COATED for so extraordinary a long time given the facts of THEIR antiSemitism.

Here's a snippet about Anti-Semitism which WAS 'picked up' by some 'National Newspapers':
Student is suspended at £35,000-a-year boarding school for 'trying to force-feed Jewish schoolboy HAM pizza'

Clifton College student was suspended after he tried to feed a Jewish pupil ham.

The boy 'suffered psychologically' after the incident at the £35k-a-year school
The prestigious school in Bristol said anti-Semitism is 'abhorrent and 'pernicious'.

The Jewish teenager remained at the prestigious school alongside his alleged attacker, who was allowed back into classes after a short suspension.

Insiders said the suspended boy was on the periphery of another incident at the school a few years ago where a pupil - who was later expelled - wore a Nazi costume.

The Jewish student was at the prestigious Clifton College in Bristol (pictured) and was almost forced to eat a pizza with ham toppings

Religious community leaders and parents have voiced concerns about the incident, which happened in December.

The school has its own synagogue and had a schoolhouse dedicated to Jewish students until 2005.

A high profile member of Bristol's Jewish community, who wished to remain anonymous, said: 'I would like to express disappointment felt by the local Jewish community at the school's lack of response.

'It isn't the first case of anti-Semitism at Clifton College.

'The fact it happened in the first place is awful but the way in which Clifton College has brushed it under the carpet is much worse.