Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Old 17-10-2023, 04:26 PM #51

Favourites:
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
I thought the selling point of the new tellies was more vibrant colours ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Well yeah, modern tech goes with modern tech and all that. But PS2, Mega Drives, Nintendo games from the early 00's and 90's/80's where consoles made with CRT display in mind. So they gel together much better.
Old 17-10-2023, 06:16 PM #52
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
I thought the selling point of the new tellies was more vibrant colours ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
the issue is that the high definition tv's of today have a picture that is too detailed. It makes older low definition video sources look fuzzy. So because older tv's are also low resolution they are a better match to the video source
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-10-2023, 10:00 PM #53
God Save The Rave

God Save The Rave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
Like SB said, they're much better for retro gaming, much bolder colours and much more pleasurable experience.

VHS on CRT is purely for nostalgia, not quality.
Said it TWICE no less - apparently also replied to this thread in January . At least I'm consistent...
Soldier Boy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-10-2023, 11:25 PM #54

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Boy View Post
Said it TWICE no less - apparently also replied to this thread in January . At least I'm consistent...
Yeah, and you can really see the difference. Have you got an old CRT you play retro games on?

Literally, if anyone on TIBB's has some VHS tapes, or VHS Players they wanna sell, DM me. Im deep into collecting VHS tapes atm (mainly big box/ex rental and pre certs). And VHS Players i've been fixing. It's such a chill hobby.
Old 19-10-2023, 11:00 PM #55
God Save The Rave

God Save The Rave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
Yeah, and you can really see the difference. Have you got an old CRT you play retro games on?

Literally, if anyone on TIBB's has some VHS tapes, or VHS Players they wanna sell, DM me. Im deep into collecting VHS tapes atm (mainly big box/ex rental and pre certs). And VHS Players i've been fixing. It's such a chill hobby.
I don't have room for anything like that currently, I don't even have any old consoles set up, just the PC, PS5 and Switch (and a dusty Xbox 360 because we still occasionally bust out Guitar Hero ). Any oldschool gaming is on emulators these days.

I do still own a Master System, Megadrive, SNES, classic "big" PS1, PS2 and GameCube but they're all boxed up waiting for the day when I realise my dream and have a garage conversion for gaming/home cinema . One day, one day.

My sister still has a VHS player and the full VHS box sets of Buffy and Angel. Maybe they'll end up being worth something.

TBF you can tell with those why sourcing the old ones is popular: the "remastered version" of the older series (S1-4 of Buffy and S1 of Angel) are terrible on Disney+. They've been cropped to 16:9 which loses some of the detail in some scenes, and the lighting/colour palette is totally ruined. Some night-time scenes look like bright daylight because they messed up the contrast (Buffy handled dark scenes by having the characters illumated brightly, with the backgrounds dark... the remasters "equalise" the contrast making the backgrounds far brighter. Very weird.)

Anyway... I should probably try to buy a couple of decent CRT's, they're getting rarer and will probably end up stupidly expensive. I live in the sort of little village where well-to-do people with kids who have flown the nest and far too many bedrooms will almost CERTAINLY have a few tucked away, with no idea that they're worth anything. Local Facebook Pages can be a gold mine.

Last edited by Soldier Boy; 19-10-2023 at 11:02 PM.
Old 20-10-2023, 12:53 AM #56

I recorded a lot of programmes off the TV in the 90s on VHS tape. I don't know what is on the tapes because I didn't label most of them lol.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 01:57 AM #57
God Save The Rave

God Save The Rave

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I recorded a lot of programmes off the TV in the 90s on VHS tape. I don't know what is on the tapes because I didn't label most of them lol.
My dad used to rent and... Umm... "back up"... Films from Blockbuster using two VCR's connected together with a SCART cable. There would be very occasional visual blips or sound glitches/wobbles in this process, and as a result, films that I watched repeatedly as a kid had those glitches as standard and they became a normal part of the film...

Best example is, we had Independence day, and there's a scene where Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum are standing together looking at the small alien ship hatching the plan to infiltrate the mother ship. On our version, it glitched and repeated about two seconds: they were looking at each other, both look at the ship, it blipped back to them looking at each other, and repeated the bit where they turn to look at the ship.

Mkst have watched that ccopy dozens of times.

TO THIS DAY if I watch Independence Day on streaming or whatever, I find it weird when that DOESN'T happen .

Another example is, on our copy of Back To The Future there was a bit where the sound went higher pitched for maybe 5 seconds. Again I expect it to happen every time I see the film...

Last edited by Soldier Boy; 20-10-2023 at 01:57 AM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
back, coming, crt, players, tv, vhs