Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

The X Factor 2004-'08 [S1-5] Discussion of previous series (2004-2008) and the contestants. Winners were Steve Brookstein, Shayne Ward, Leona Lewis, Leon Jackson and Alexandra Burke.

Old 24-12-2006, 09:00 PM #1
can't nobody hold us down

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Joe McElderry

can't nobody hold us down

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Joe McElderry

Default Wow...

Did you just see the credits for The X Factor: The Winner's story? They said so far Leona has sold over half a million copies, outselling the whole of the top 40 together.

That's just WOW.
MarkWaldorf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-12-2006, 09:02 PM #2

Just what i was thinking Mark!
I was like 'OMG'
Chrizzle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-12-2006, 09:02 PM #3

I bought her CD!
And I'm really pleased for her, that's just amazing.
Bells is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-12-2006, 09:19 PM #4

Not the biggest selling single of 2006, shockingly!
Lance is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-12-2006, 09:36 PM #5

They said it was 541,000 on the radio. Not bad for a rehash of an old song.

Listening to it on the radio tonight I thought it wasn't that great. It was good, but not number 1 material. She could have done better with the song and in the interview I heard she had no personality.

She was a bit of a yawn.
Red Moon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-12-2006, 09:41 PM #6

She's got about as much personality as my shoelace.

People can say she has a better voice etc. than most but she was one of the dullest contestants this year.
Old 24-12-2006, 09:42 PM #7

Quote:
Originally posted by Lance
She's got about as much personality as my shoelace.

People can say she has a better voice etc. than most but she was one of the dullest contestants this year.
Makes you think what is X-factor!
Old 24-12-2006, 10:00 PM #8

I think she has a lovely personality – she’s really nice, lovely, down-to-earth, modest and has a really refreshing, likeable air about her. And to top all that off, she’s extremely talented.

To be quite honest, I’d much rather she be like that than arrogant, full of attitude, etc. despite the fact that she may have a great voice. If you think she’s ‘boring’ that’s perhaps because she’s not so bold yet; certainly I think her self-assurance will grow in time as she’s been through so much, but I doubt she’ll ever become arrogant, or any of the other qualities I mentioned before.

Plus, if she ever does, or if she were, I can confidently say I wouldn’t be such a big fan.
Old 24-12-2006, 10:00 PM #9
Team Flack

Team Flack

Wow just WOW.
Princess is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-12-2006, 07:47 AM #10

More people putting her down, when will you get bored?
Old 25-12-2006, 07:56 AM #11

Favourites:
Strictly 2009: Chris & Ola
I'm a Celeb 2009: Gino D'Acampo

Favourites:
Strictly 2009: Chris & Ola
I'm a Celeb 2009: Gino D'Acampo

Really
Has she beat the Shayne Ward sales from last year?
Sophii3x is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-12-2006, 08:44 AM #12

Quote:
Originally posted by Chrizzle
More people putting her down, when will you get bored?
That's the problem with being a celebrity, people don't get bored at having a go at you. Especially when they find you dull and boring.

I would have like her to sing something new, not a rehash of an old song. How can we tell how good she really is when she spends all her time copying other people. I know she has a fine voice but does she have talent? Does she have the x-factor to make her a star or is she going to be a cover singer forever?

Until she shows that she can sing original material and show a bit of character people are going to keep having a go at her.
Old 25-12-2006, 10:11 AM #13

But she has shown character, yesterday on Winners Story she was fantastic.
The single wasn't her fault, it was something which she was given.

I can't believe you get slated for being shy and nice! Theres NOTHING wrong with not being loud etc

Its not her fault shes a 'cover singer', because it was the winners single, and no matter who won they were dumped with that song!
Old 25-12-2006, 10:50 AM #14

Quote:
But she has shown character, yesterday on Winners Story she was fantastic.
The single wasn't her fault, it was something which she was given.

I can't believe you get slated for being shy and nice! Theres NOTHING wrong with not being loud etc
Well yesterday on the radio she did an interview and she didn't even seem excited about having the christmas number one. The interviewer was more excited. The problem for her is going to be going into an industry where you need a strong character to survive. You can see her turning to drugs to deal with the pressure like many a pop star before her. She needs to develop a bit of back bone and have management with integrity otherwise she will be eaten alive and spat out again. I feel she still needs to grow up and I hope it doesn't happen because she has been eaten by the pop sharks.

Quote:
Its not her fault shes a 'cover singer', because it was the winners single, and no matter who won they were dumped with that song!
Well lets hope they give her some of her own material to sing when she makes an album but I fear in an attempt to get an album out fast we might end up with a disc of other peoples greatest hits.

Now that would be really boring.
Old 25-12-2006, 02:09 PM #15

I've already justified what I think of Leona's character, so to me her personality seems fine.

As for her being a cover artist, why would she be? She's more talented IMO than a lot of those solo artists out there at the moment who have their own songs, not to mention that she has Simon Cowell behind her. I think she'll do really well as an artist herself, both here and even abroad.

The only reason she's been singing cover songs is because she was on the X Factor - now she's won it that's all set to change.
Old 25-12-2006, 03:20 PM #16

Quote:
Originally posted by ice_maiden02
As for her being a cover artist, why would she be? She's more talented IMO than a lot of those solo artists out there at the moment who have their own songs, not to mention that she has Simon Cowell behind her. I think she'll do really well as an artist herself, both here and even abroad.

The only reason she's been singing cover songs is because she was on the X Factor - now she's won it that's all set to change.
Well let us hope it does. You would have thought with the number of weeks the show ran the producers of the x-factor could get a couple of new songs written for the two finalists. It can't be hard. They have done it before so why not again his year? But instead we get a rehashed ex-hit sung by miss dull.

There were better songs in the chart, than some old rehashed tune. But I guess that is the power of TV. It allows you to fix the christmas chart. I bet Simon Cowell is laughing all the way to his piggy bank. I wonder what he got for christmas, a nice new shinny sports car on the back of the number one.
Old 25-12-2006, 10:43 PM #17

Good on him!

I dont think Simon should care- if hes got money spend it.

And her name is Leona, not 'miss dull'
People like that song therefore it deserved to get to no1
The fact that all the people saying this are bitter because there favourite didn't win, is hilarious.
Old 26-12-2006, 12:47 AM #18

Quote:
Good on him!

I dont think Simon should care- if hes got money spend it.
I believe it's called greed. It's a sad state of modern society. People are greedy and they don't care about other people any more. I'm sure Simon doesn't care about Miss Dull. Just the money he can put in the bank. He might say different, but wouldn't you if you were him with his values.

Quote:
And her name is Leona, not 'miss dull'
If the cap hits wear it.

If you can't be excited about having a christmas number one you deserve the name. When she grows up and gets a back bone, then I acknowledge her right to be a star. At the moment she is cover artist with a good voice but that is all. We won't be able to judge her true talent until she has her own hit and not someone else's rehash.

I was glad in the x-factor that she stopped hiding behind the dancers. But now it's time to stop hiding behind other peoples songs.

May be she could copy someone else's personality - after all she is good at doing copies. She got a number one that way.

Quote:
People like that song therefore it deserved to get to no1
The fact that all the people saying this are bitter because there favourite didn't win, is hilarious.
No people paid there money for it because it made a good stocking filler and they where told to do it by TV. There is no more effective TV advertising than the x-factor and show like big brother. It's the power of the medium.
Old 26-12-2006, 12:58 AM #19

I think people can just see through the actual game now, It isn't as real as it use to be when real raw talent was found. The show is far away from being raw talent which is what they say the x factor is.

I don't think anyone at all is "bitter", we all know Leona has an excellent voice but we can see that the only pockets being lined is Simon Cowells. Lets be honest if I said would you rather Leona hitting number one with a brand new song she had written herself or doing a cover version I think you would want new media aswell. I think the person who is actually being cheated is Leona herself...her video for the song was a match of someone elses. She needs to get out of that shadow of other artists and show her fans who she really is. Now i am not saying this is Leonas fault but Simon or whoever is in charge has really cut her short with this cover version and a very similar video.

The fact that whoever won there were 100,000 copies pre ordered of the x factor single shows how much it is about the x factor. Before the show even started it was predicted that whoever won would be xmas #1 which is really devaluing what the xmas #1 is really about and other artists who produce new and real material are loosing out big time to a reality tv show. The magic of the christmas number # race has been lost due to shows like x factor.

I like her music here much better than when she sounds like Mariah/Whitney etc and that is what Leona should be doing asap if she wants to last. The second part of that is here

Also during those clips she doesn't have her "little girl lost" routine she comes across as being confident about her music which makes Simons theories of her not knowing herself that she is good blow out of the water.
GlitterEyes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-12-2006, 11:45 AM #20

Quote:
Originally posted by GlitterEyes
I think people can just see through the actual game now, It isn't as real as it use to be when real raw talent was found. The show is far away from being raw talent which is what they say the x factor is.
That is so true, I wasn't a great X-factor fan until I met kiz, but I did watch some of the early shows, and it has changed over the years. It's far more showy now than it was when it started and the judges milk the show for all they can get out of it. Over the years it's been modified by the producers who feel they have be more and more flashy, until they ruin the basic format of the show and lose the shows original appeal. The producers main aim is to sell the show to ITV, ITV remit is to bring in the advertisers to fund the station by increasing audience share, they care little for the people on the show.

At the moment I think many people who watch the show still feel it's a talent show and not a game show as such. You have to remember a lot of people that watch TV are very gullible and believe what they see without question. That is the power of television and one the advertisers love to exploit. When the viewers see it for what it is then you will see the audience numbers falling and the show dropped by ITV1.

Quote:
I don't think anyone at all is "bitter", we all know Leona has an excellent voice but we can see that the only pockets being lined is Simon Cowells. Lets be honest if I said would you rather Leona hitting number one with a brand new song she had written herself or doing a cover version I think you would want new media aswell. I think the person who is actually being cheated is Leona herself...her video for the song was a match of someone elses. She needs to get out of that shadow of other artists and show her fans who she really is. Now i am not saying this is Leonas fault but Simon or whoever is in charge has really cut her short with this cover version and a very similar video.
We won't know if Leona is being manufactured, cheated or just plan used by the pop industry until we can see what she can do in a few albums time. Nobody in the music industry will take her seriously until she has a hit of her own. Until then she will be just another X-factor winner who had a number one on the back of the success of the TV show. We will never see if she has real talent until people like Simon Cowell stop manufacturing hits for her and she discovers the artist within herself if there is one.

but then, I question if is she an artist in the true sense of the word, she might be talented and have a good voice but I think that's all she is. I don't think she is a complete performer that will turn her into a real star because she doesn't have the drive, the belief in herself and the personality to pull it off. I don't think there is one artistic bone in her body. That will all have to manufactured for her by people like Simon Cowell. She simply doesn't have the X-factor. Without the show she would have remained a good covers singer touring the Working Mens Clubs of the UK because that is all she can do on her own.

Quote:
The fact that whoever won there were 100,000 copies pre ordered of the x factor single shows how much it is about the x factor. Before the show even started it was predicted that whoever won would be xmas #1 which is really devaluing what the xmas #1 is really about and other artists who produce new and real material are loosing out big time to a reality tv show. The magic of the christmas number # race has been lost due to shows like x factor.
It just goes to show the state of the charts these days or is it the pop industry? People that manufacture bands and singers like Leona make a nonsense of the chats. While the real talent and artistry remains buried to those that look past the hit machine that is the pop industry. No wonder so many classical records make it into the album chart, who wants a album of manufacture hits.

You are so right that now the the race to the christmas number one means nothing especially when a rehashed cover makes number one. I use to care who was number one at christmas. I use looked forward to the christmas songs to put me in the mood for the festive period. I use to enjoy the fight of the pop stars. But now I don't care. It is meaning less rubbish. Manufactured tripe for boring people stuck in the consumer society who can't see past there own noses.

Quote:
I like her music here much better than when she sounds like Mariah/Whitney etc and that is what Leona should be doing asap if she wants to last. The second part of that is here

Also during those clips she doesn't have her "little girl lost" routine she comes across as being confident about her music which makes Simons theories of her not knowing herself that she is good blow out of the water.
I'm glad to her she does have some personality after all. I hope that isn't manufactured by some publicity people that Simon Cowell has found for her.
Old 26-12-2006, 05:06 PM #21

Quote:
Originally posted by Sophii3x
Really
Has she beat the Shayne Ward sales from last year?
No, she sold about 200,000 less copies.

571,000 were last week's sales, I believe.
Old 26-12-2006, 08:02 PM #22

Top selling singles of 2006...

1 Gnarls Barkley - Crazy 815,555
2 Leona Lewis - A Moment Like This 571,000
3 Shakira - Hips Don’t Lie 487,246
4 Scissor Sisters - I Don’t Feel Like Dancin' 338,978
5 Sandi Thom - I Wish I Was a Punk Rocker 325,077
6 Infernal - From Paris to Berlin 306,728
7 Nelly Furtado - Maneater 292,765
8 Rihanna - SOS 242,318
9 Justin Timberlake - SexyBack 233,213
10 Orson - No Tomorrow 225,111
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-12-2006, 08:04 PM #23

Just goes to show you the power of TV and of the X-Factor (see long post above). Thanks for that information James.
Old 27-12-2006, 03:24 AM #24

Where did you find that info James? I had been searching high and low the other day for the exact figures but all I found was newspaper hype and reports that Leona will hit a million sales lol.
GlitterEyes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 05:58 AM #25

It was on the Digital Spy forum. I don't know where the poster there got it but I Googled some of the numbers there and found this...

http://www.chartsinfrance.net/commun...ew=getlastpost

SINGLES :

1 1 Gnarls Barkley Crazy 815555
2 2 Shakira Hips don’t lie 487246
3 3 Scissor Sisters I don’t feel like dancin' 338978
4 4 Sandi Thom I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair 325077
5 5 Infernal From Paris to berlin 306728
6 6 Nelly Furtado Maneater 292765
7 7 Rihanna SOS 242318
8 8 Justin Timberlake Sexyback 233213
9 9 Orson No tomorrow 225111
10 10 Lily Allen Smile 225024