Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

TV Chat Chat about anything else on TV not covered by the other forums in this category.

Old 26-12-2016, 02:55 PM #1
Namaste

Namaste

Default Black Sails

Does anyone on here watch this? I've been getting through it recently and just finished the second season. I liked season one for what it was but it really came into it's own during season two. One of my favourite seasons of TV I've seen and the finale was absolutely brilliant (and that battle sequence was phenomenal, cinematic as ****)

This show definitely deserves more attention. Gonna get season three watched in time for the final season next month.

It's basically a Treasure Island prequel that brings together characters from the novel, actual historical figures and original characters, it's really interesting how it weaves them together.

Last edited by Lostie!; 27-03-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Lostie! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 02:56 PM #2

Favourites (more):
Love Island 6: Shaughna
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle

Favourites (more):
Love Island 6: Shaughna
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle

I keep getting told to watch it but I don't think it'd my cup of tea. What do you think?
Cal. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 03:38 PM #3
Namaste

Namaste

I suppose it depends on what you're into but it became one of my favourite shows during its second season. I know the general response to the show wasn't much to write home about during season one but became really positive from the second onwards and after watching it I can see why. As I say, I did like season one but I wasn't really hooked, whereas during the second I was completely.

If anyone does start watching and isn't feeling it at first, stick around for season two and you'll be rewarded
Old 26-12-2016, 03:39 PM #4
Starf⭐cker

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash

Starf⭐cker

Favourites (more):

Yeah, it's so good! I've been meaning to finish S2 but it's been so long I've forgot what's happened
_Tom_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 03:46 PM #5
Namaste

Namaste

Do you remember how many episodes into it you got?

I hope you remember and love Miranda Barlow!
Old 26-12-2016, 04:03 PM #6
Starf⭐cker

Favourites (more):

Starf⭐cker

Favourites (more):

Miranda <3

I think I only have the last two episodes left actually! I might try and get through them tonight
_Tom_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 04:20 PM #7
Namaste

Namaste

Two of my favourites.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:53 PM #8
Namaste

Namaste

The single tracking shot in episode 8 of season 3 as Vane and Anne are ambushing Woodes' carriage was amazing That and the Charlestown battle from season 2 are some of the most impressive scenes I've seen on a TV show, the production of this show is ridiculously good.

Just two episodes left until I'm caught up. Looking forward to being up to date for the final season but I'll miss binging it too
Old 20-02-2017, 10:47 AM #9
Namaste

Namaste

Got caught up on the current season last night (well, save for last night's newest episode which I'll watch later). It's top notch as usual Part of me is sad about it being the final season but the other part is glad it's getting a proper ending and I've no doubt it'll go out brilliantly.

I always go on about the stunning visuals in this show so I'm glad season 4 is continuing to deliver. The underwater scenes in the premiere, especially the pan up to the shipwreck above
Spoiler:

Not happy the goat drowned though

Spoiler:

Blackbeard's
death was brutal. I didn't even know about keelhauling before but I do now

Last edited by Lostie!; 20-02-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:06 PM #10
Namaste

Namaste

Episode 6 Wish I didn't have the big scene spoiled beforehand but it didn't lessen the impact. Can't believe there's only 4 episodes left until it's all over.

Spoiler:

I really grew to love Eleanor as a character over the course of the show But having her death come about as the result of her own husband's misguided actions rather than at the hands of the pirates is pretty poetic.

He'll either lose the will to keep fighting or do the opposite and go completely off the deep end now. I'm going with the latter.

The shot of Flint standing in front of Miranda's burning home is just yet another example of the wonderful writing on this show.

I don't believe for a second that Madi is dead too since she's been set up to be Silver's wife mentioned in Treasure Island.

Don't think I really need to use tags since nobody else here is watching (bloody heathens ) but just in case any lucky soul who discovers the show in the future happens across this thread

Last edited by Lostie!; 07-03-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:25 PM #11
Mode: Broken

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Sheldon
BBCanada 7: Anthony

Mode: Broken

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Sheldon
BBCanada 7: Anthony

Watched a few (3-6?) episodes of this (Season 2, i think) and thought it was good. Forgot about it later after i lost the stream where the channel that aired the show was showing.
Calderyon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:45 PM #12
Namaste

Namaste

Hopefully you get to see it in full at some point, one of the well-crafted shows I've ever seen.
Old 26-03-2017, 08:58 PM #13
Namaste

Namaste

Just watched 4x08. They're setting up the endgame and lead in to Treasure Island nicely now. Even though I haven't read Treasure Island, I know the gist and one of the (many) aspects I've enjoyed about the show is seeing Flint, Silver and Billy gradually move towards their roles in the book. Silver and Billy in particular seemed nothing like what I understood their book counterparts to be back at the start of the show but four seasons later, they're now nothing like they were in season 1 and much more in-keeping with their literary reputations. It's brilliant pay-off for the writers taking the time to craft a proper origin story over four whole seasons as opposed to trying to cram stuff in earlier seasons.

Idelle mentioning Charlotte is another little thing I love about Black Sails, it doesn't just toss aside and forget about the side characters (like how many of them have continued to play important roles in the story rather than show up for an episode or 2 and then vanish).

Also found out today that Mrs Hudson is married to Toby Stephens in real life (and that she was in the "Dalek" episode of Doctor Who!) As surprising as finding out Berringer is his brother in real life If only his mother could have made an appearance too, Maggie Smith appearing for even one scene would have been too good

Last edited by Lostie!; 27-03-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 27-03-2017, 09:37 PM #14

I love it...
rusticgal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 09:50 PM #15
Namaste

Namaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticgal View Post
I love it...
Finally someone else! One of the most criminally overlooked shows there's been tbh.

Watched the penultimate episode earlier, one more and it's all over

Spoiler:

Billy firing on his former allies was pretty unnerving when you remember who he was when the show started, it just shows how far he's fallen. If it was his bullet that killed De Groot Though with Billy's character arc I love that they're aligning perfectly with his fate in Treasure Island; dying after receiving the Black Spot. He terrorised traitor pirates with the Black Spot last season and now he's turned traitor himself so knowing what will happen to him years down the line is really fitting. The writers have crafted this story to fit in with Treasure Island so well

Really feels like the end of an era seeing the Walrus go up in flames. Fitting for that to usher in the end of the show.

The scene with Madi defying Rogers while he hallucinated Eleanor's ghost sitting in the dark corner of the room was a highlight.

Last edited by Lostie!; 27-03-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Old 27-03-2017, 10:30 PM #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostie! View Post
Finally someone else! One of the most criminally overlooked shows there's been tbh.

Watched the penultimate episode earlier, one more and it's all over

Spoiler:

Billy firing on his former allies was pretty unnerving when you remember who he was when the show started, it just shows how far he's fallen. If it was his bullet that killed De Groot . Funny that he's turned since at the end of last season he was leading the charge against pirates who turned on their own. Knowing he receives Black Spot and dies in Treasure Island is fitting considering he was the one behind threatening traitor pirates with the Black Spot in Nassau. That foreshadowing

Really feels like the end of an era seeing the Walrus go up in flames. Fitting for that to usher in the end of the show.

The scene with Madi defying Rogers while he hallucinated Eleanor's ghost sitting in the dark corner of the room was a highlight.
We have loved watching it....sometimes found it hard to keep up with with the storyline but hasn't stopped us watching. Watched episode 6 tonight...sad it's coming to an end.
Old 27-03-2017, 10:37 PM #17
Namaste

Namaste

Quote:
We have loved watching it....sometimes found it hard to keep up with with the storyline but hasn't stopped us watching. Watched episode 6 tonight...sad it's coming to an end.
I don't blame you, the sides people are on are constantly changing so it can definitely be easy to lose track of at times That unpredictability in regards to characters' allegiances has been another of my favourite aspects though, so much more interesting to watch than a simple story about good vs bad.

And I love how the Urca gold that kicked off the plot way back at the beginning has remained in play throughout the four seasons. It took me a little while to realise it was the show's version of the titular treasure from Treasure Island

Last edited by Lostie!; 27-03-2017 at 10:57 PM.
Old 28-03-2017, 10:16 PM #18

Shamefully never read treasure Island...guess I thought of it as 'boys' reading as it was about pirates etc. However Long John Silver always was a great childhood memory for me and when we started watching it I said to my husband that Silver was obviously that character. Then along came Blackbeard and so the penny started to drop. I love the characters..and the whole demise makes you realise all this stuff really went on.
We have watched a bit of 'Mutiny' and its given my boys the incentive to watch The Bounty...all fascinating stuff.
Old 28-03-2017, 11:11 PM #19
Namaste

Namaste

Quote:
Shamefully never read treasure Island...guess I thought of it as 'boys' reading as it was about pirates etc. However Long John Silver always was a great childhood memory for me and when we started watching it I said to my husband that Silver was obviously that character. Then along came Blackbeard and so the penny started to drop. I love the characters..and the whole demise makes you realise all this stuff really went on.
We have watched a bit of 'Mutiny' and its given my boys the incentive to watch The Bounty...all fascinating stuff.
Neither have I tbh. Although I did love Muppets Treasure Island as a child But yeah, did some reading up on it after getting into Black Sails.

I really like how the show mixes in real historical figures with the fictional characters too, when I first started watching it was interesting to read up and find out how many characters were based on real people from the era that I'd never heard of.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:29 PM #20
Namaste

Namaste

Final ever episode tonight in the US

Last edited by Lostie!; 02-04-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:15 PM #21
Namaste

Namaste

Finished the final episode. I really liked it on the whole.

Spoiler:

Mary Read finally showing up in the very last scene after people have wondered if she'll ever appear since the first season The final shot being of the newly-created Jolly Roger flag was a perfect way to close, and a great nod to history as Jack Rackham really did design it.

Flint and Thomas being reunited was a nice place to leave their stories. There seems to be some debate over whether that really happened or was just a story Silver made up after killing Flint. Interviews with the writers suggest it was real and I like to believe it was too.

The final battle with Rogers was, as always with Black Sails, top class. And the scene with Silver finding the ship's cook hiding was a wonderful callback to himself in the very first episode.

Glad Mrs Hudson, Idelle and Mrs Mapleton all got cameos too, all side characters I've appreciated and just further proves my earlier post about how well Black Sails accommodates the less major characters too.

One thing I would have liked, though, would have been a time jump into Treasure Island right at the very end (or in a post-credits sequence). An older Billy receiving the Black Spot would have been a good one. Also, I'm a sucker for nostalgia so I would have liked some of the dead characters to have made final appearances via flashbacks or something but in fairness there was enough story to be told without shoving stuff like that in too. Still, minor gripes on what I found to be a very satisfying conclusion.

Such a brilliant show, one of my favourites I've ever watched.

Last edited by Lostie!; 09-04-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:22 PM #22

They ****ing hung Charles Vain...gutted. What a great character..

....obviously I'm still catching up..but I'm gutted.

Last edited by rusticgal; 08-04-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:18 PM #23
Namaste

Namaste

I think a lot of people were 100000% done with Eleanor after that
Old 09-04-2017, 09:31 PM #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostie! View Post
I think a lot of people were 100000% done with Eleanor after that
Bitch will pay for that...