Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Sport Talk about all the latest events from the world of sport here

Old 15-05-2007, 01:20 PM #1

Default Vaughan reveals Ashes \'exclusion\'

Quote:
Vaughan reveals Ashes 'exclusion'

Michael Vaughan has complained of being excluded from the England dressing room during the winter Ashes series.

Vaughan missed the series with a knee injury but flew to Australia before the first Test in Brisbane with the aim of completing his rehabilitation.

"I wasn't involved at all, I think we could have used me more," said Vaughan, who will miss this week's Test against West Indies with a broken finger.

"I'm an Ashes-winning captain and there are times when I could have helped."

Vaughan intends to be part of the England dressing room at Lord's this week, suggesting he has a closer relationship with new coach Peter Moores than previous incumbent Duncan Fletcher

"Andrew Strauss will take the team out and make the decisions on the pitch, but I have to have a huge say in and around the team because of the fact it's a new regime.

"Peter and I are working together for the first time - and a week later I hope I'll be back as England captain.

"The combination of the captain and coach is going to be such a critical one."

Vaughan says he is confident of returning to the side for the second Test against West Indies, which starts at Headingley on 25 May.

He revealed he came close to starting Thursday's opening Test, saying "I could probably have got through it but I allowed my head to rule my heart."

The 32-year-old has been beset for much of the past 18 months by a succession of injuries, principally to his knee.

He also said the decision to hand Strauss the temporary captaincy over Andrew Flintoff was not based on the all-rounder's indiscretions at the World Cup.

"It is disappointing for Fred - but Andrew did a good job last summer.

"I think it's the best decision for the team. The amount Freddie has to deal with - batting, bowling and fielding at slip - makes it a lot to ask of a guy to captain as well.

"Peter's come in with a clean slate for everyone. What's happened in the past has happened.

"I think that's why everyone is excited about the new regime, because we all are looking forward. Sometimes when you have a regime that's been going on for a long time people look too much in the past."
source:BBC Sport
Red Moon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
'exclusion', ashes, reveals, vaughan