Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:33 AM #1

Default 3 more die in Isle of Man TT Races. 08.06.07

Every year The Isle of Man hosts the TT (Tourist Trophy) races. These are motorcycle races around an incredibly dangerous road circuit. They are truly exciting races but each year a new debate opens about the number of deaths involving both riders and spectators. I would guess that the average number of deaths each year is about 3-5 people during the two weeks with 3 just yesterday. A couple of decades ago the famous world champion Agostini vowed never to race there again because of the it's danger.
Most of my family live on this beautiful Island and when I return in a few weeks I know that this will all be debated again. There are so many angles to argue and usually I end up thinking that it isn't worth these spectator deaths, but am always reminded that it brings in a massive tourist trade.
I am interested to know what members think about a sport that involves such incredibly high danger. Is it a risk too far?

Edit; I just found an article from Telegraph.co.uk

Three killed in Isle of Man TT accident

By David Fern
Last Updated: 2:16am BST 09/06/2007

A motorcyclist and two spectators died in a horrific crash yesterday during the closing stages of the final race in the Isle of Man TT Centenary Racing Festival.
The incident happened on the Snaefell section of the 37.73-mile Mountain Course at a point known as the 26th milestone, locally called Joey's.
It is understood that the rider lost control of his machine, which ploughed into a group of people who were watching the Senior race.
The rider was named last night as Mark Ramsbotham, 24, from Norfolk. He died at the scene, becoming the 224th competitor to be killed in the history of the event. A spectator died at the scene and another died later in hospital.
Race officials scrambled two rescue helicopters to the event. The first took two casualties to Nobles Hospital in Douglas and this was followed by a second, which transferred another person. Race organisers have not named the spectators who were killed while they contact next of kin.
The organisers, the Manx Motorcycle Club Ltd, have launched an investigation into the crash together with the coroner of inquests.
They issued a statement saying: "We wish to extend our sympathy to the families and friends involved."
The incident led to the delay of the Parade of Champions, which went ahead later in the afternoon, but, as the news reached the paddock, celebrations of the victory by John McGuinness, at race and lap record speeds, was muted.
He had already received his trophy and enjoyed the spoils of victory, his 13th on the island, before news reached the competitors.
J.C. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:04 AM #2

its so sad that more people have died during this race, however I feel particularly sorry for the spectators who died, they were merely watching.
Sunny_01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:21 AM #3

224 deaths of competitors over the years is probably higher than any other sporting event I can think of, but at least they are fully aware of the risks. However, as you say Sunny_01, the deaths of spectators makes it even worse. Over recent years there have been many spectator deaths which is why I feel so strongly about it. The Island depends on these races for their tourist trade but seem blind to the risks to the public.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:49 AM #4

I know whith statistics like that surely a full safety review is overdue! if they have to race maybe spectators can be further back rather than simply on the road side.
Sunny_01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:11 PM #5

Quote:
Originally posted by Sunny_01
I know whith statistics like that surely a full safety review is overdue! if they have to race maybe spectators can be further back rather than simply on the road side.
I have been a few times. Love it. The simple fact is that on a lot of the circuit the only places where you can see is sitting on a dry stone wall or the like very close to the action, and yes it is a buzz having someone fly by you at 180mph 3 or 4 feet away.

What you must remember is that in the death stats I believe all deaths that can be attributed to the TT are. The bloke who fell from the clock tower in Douglas one year whilst partying. The Germans who get drunk, get on their bikes and drive on the wrong side of the road at night as the forget we drive on the left.

It should not be banned.
Dr43%er is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:35 PM #6

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr43%er
Quote:
Originally posted by Sunny_01
I have been a few times. Love it. The simple fact is that on a lot of the circuit the only places where you can see is sitting on a dry stone wall or the like very close to the action, and yes it is a buzz having someone fly by you at 180mph 3 or 4 feet away.

What you must remember is that in the death stats I believe all deaths that can be attributed to the TT are. The bloke who fell from the clock tower in Douglas one year whilst partying. The Germans who get drunk, get on their bikes and drive on the wrong side of the road at night as the forget we drive on the left.

It should not be banned.
Very glad to hear you have been over to watch it Dr43%er, it certainly is one of the most exciting races and I certainly don't want it banned or anything, but there have been too many accidents involving the spectators.
When I watch it I always see spectators standing in very dangerous positions and often with their children. I would just like a proper safety review as these have happened before many times and nothing ever changes. One of the stewards does some work with my brother and his mind is set on the fact that the more deaths there are the more people will come to watch, and that annoys me, as it shouldn't really be like that.
May be this time things will change.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:21 PM #7

I can never understand people who would put their children in danger. I have been 4 times but not for a number of years. Had a mate who lived in Kirk Michael and we used to stay on a camp site (farm) inbetween there and Douglas. His other half is a nurse. She has to deal with the aftermath of the crashes. Must be hard on her as her dad was killed in a classic race many moons ago. I also had a mate (the first person i ever went on the back of a bike with) who was killed in the Manx GP along with a couple of others. He knew the risks and died doing what he lived for.
Dr43%er is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
die, isle, man, races, tt