Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

CBB14 Celebrity Big Brother 2014 (CBB14) was shown in August and September 2014, and was won by Gary Busey. Discuss the series and housemates here.

- - - - - - - - - -

Old 08-09-2014, 12:12 AM #1

Default Why is it Gary shoiuts out aggressively and punches when he tells us how loving he is

Gary in the call cenbtre task told us how much he loves the others and wants to do more for them but for some reason finished off telling us by shouting out aggressively then thumping his clenched fist quite hard on the table.

Why does Gary do that when he tells us how loving he is ? It's not the first time.
I've seen him finsih off saying how loving he is a few other times before shoiuting out aggressively and punching the air aggressively

It's not a sign of being loving that I know.All the genuine loving people I've known have never finished off shouting aggressively or punching anything with a clenched fist
cfromhx02 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:21 AM #2

Are you confusing passion for aggression?
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:23 AM #3
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
Are you confusing passion for aggression?
this
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:22 AM #4

The part of Garys brain that is affected is the section that controls outbursts and the result is the random shouts and noises every now and then.
Josy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:28 AM #5
Platinum Member

Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josy View Post
The part of Garys brain that is affected is the section that controls outbursts and the result is the random shouts and noises every now and then.
Yes. He has "no filters" according to his own psychiatrist and is on medication to counteract this.

But I guess his med levels drop sometimes and the real, rather scary, Gary shows through.

I'm betting this happens more often than the highlights indicate.
CaudleHalbard is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:14 AM #6
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaudleHalbard View Post
Yes. He has "no filters" according to his own psychiatrist and is on medication to counteract this.

But I guess his med levels drop sometimes and the real, rather scary, Gary shows through.

I'm betting this happens more often than the highlights indicate.

..yeah I was thinking this when I watched it, it's something I don't think he can help and not actual aggression as such but maybe it does happen a lot and could be one of the reasons why most housemates have criticised him and felt awkward being around him, which is what a lot have said..?..
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:53 AM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfromhx02 View Post
Gary in the call cenbtre task told us how much he loves the others and wants to do more for them but for some reason finished off telling us by shouting out aggressively then thumping his clenched fist quite hard on the table.

Why does Gary do that when he tells us how loving he is ? It's not the first time.
I've seen him finsih off saying how loving he is a few other times before shoiuting out aggressively and punching the air aggressively

It's not a sign of being loving that I know.All the genuine loving people I've known have never finished off shouting aggressively or punching anything with a clenched fist
What show are you watching? Gary did not shout in the call centre.
puzzled is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:03 AM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzled View Post
What show are you watching? Gary did not shout in the call centre.
He shouted a bit at the end of his reply to his caller
Old 08-09-2014, 01:11 AM #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josy View Post
He shouted a bit at the end of his reply to his caller
I just rewatched it and I didn't hear him yell. Maybe I need one of his hearing aids?
puzzled is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:13 AM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzled View Post
I just rewatched it and I didn't hear him yell. Maybe I need one of his hearing aids?
Haha possibly

He raises his voice at the end of the call and bangs his fist On the desk.

Not that I think there was any anger there btw it's just the way Gary is.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:23 AM #11
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Ah, yes, I hadn't connected it with a brain function, I thought it was enthusiasm, like he had discovered a good point and was excited about it.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:00 AM #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfromhx02 View Post

Wow. You must have hated Pete Bennett in BB7.
ThriceShy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:15 AM #13
fur sure

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Alicia Douvall
CBB14: Gary

fur sure

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Alicia Douvall

"When my mother yells like this it's because she loves me..."

Never forget.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:26 AM #14

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan. View Post

"When my mother yells like this it's because she loves me..."

Never forget.
Brilliant! I remember this.
kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:51 AM #15

Favourites:
BB10: Marcus

Favourites:
BB10: Marcus

It's just his personality, he always randomly yells out
JayBlaze is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:39 AM #16

I hate it when people go on about how loving they are. At least when Gary does it it's got some punch to it.

"Thank you British public for taking me into your hearts" (I want your votes and I want to win)

Last edited by Tip; 08-09-2014 at 05:41 AM.
Tip is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:47 AM #17
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tip View Post
I hate it when people go on about how loving they are. At least when Gary does it it's got some punch to it.

"Thank you British public for taking me into your hearts" (I want your votes and I want to win)

..yeah I agree, he made it obvious he was going to take it on board and make some changes and didn't just try to subtly do it or criticise the caller for saying it...I love that...I just wondered though for the first time if that's one of the reasons the housemates haven't taken to him because he can seem very aggressive but it isn't meant that way....
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:48 AM #18
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Quote:

It's a better game plan than saying some people are no better than **** on your shoe
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:54 AM #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
It's a better game plan than saying some people are no better than **** on your shoe
ROFL - very true!

I know the public say they like honesty but that's stretching things a bit.

Last edited by Tip; 08-09-2014 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:14 PM #20

Favourites (more):
BB15: Ashleigh

Favourites (more):
BB15: Ashleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
or the "skidmarks" of society.
susie q is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:54 AM #21

Quote:

He was acknowledging the votes which he had already had. Dont forget that he told someone that he was going on Tuesday (possibly Wednesday) because that would be his 21 days and he would have 3 days freedom until the final. I personally do not think it is important for him to win, he has already made his place and popularity in the scene of things. He will get his payment which it may have been about but that is assured.

His DR chat was honest and to the point, he was asked, he didnt offer the information himself, he didnt go on a pity vein, whether or not the HMs were pleased that he stayed. He then told the truth, the truth which we all know is fact, he didnt think so etc.

He then turned the negative into a positive, he could have otherwise sat down and played the violins like some of them do but he didnt. He is a very wise person and this is how he handled all the bitterness in there toward him. He understands why there could be frustration. Do any of the others understand anything about themselves? I think not the only one who comes close is Audley.
Jules2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:16 PM #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules2 View Post
He was acknowledging the votes which he had already had. Dont forget that he told someone that he was going on Tuesday (possibly Wednesday) because that would be his 21 days and he would have 3 days freedom until the final. I personally do not think it is important for him to win, he has already made his place and popularity in the scene of things. He will get his payment which it may have been about but that is assured.

His DR chat was honest and to the point, he was asked, he didnt offer the information himself, he didnt go on a pity vein, whether or not the HMs were pleased that he stayed. He then told the truth, the truth which we all know is fact, he didnt think so etc.

He then turned the negative into a positive, he could have otherwise sat down and played the violins like some of them do but he didnt. He is a very wise person and this is how he handled all the bitterness in there toward him. He understands why there could be frustration. Do any of the others understand anything about themselves? I think not the only one who comes close is Audley.
I'm not attacking him - but he has been inconsistent about wanting to win, and has said different things about whether he thinks he is going or not. He nominated a person who did interact with him a bit - he wasn't interested in that alliance lol.

I mentioned before how I take a lot of his therapy speak, acronyms and evangelism, so I won't repeat it here, it's personal reaction of mine anyway. I don't want people telling me they love me to camera. It doesn't get my vote.

Someone, I think it was Ricci possibly, said that at one point they had a normal conversation with Gary which was good, but it didn't last long as Gary went back to how he normally is. He may have been lying of course, but I think in terms of social interaction Gary probably isn't aware of the effect he has when he goes into monologue mode. It isn't just a Brit/USA thing - he gets that reaction in the US too.

I don't support the nastiness towards Gary, it does illustrate their limitations.

I don't know why Gary is doing these reality shows - it's a shame if he has to.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:29 PM #23

Favourites:
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Quote:
I'm not attacking him - but he has been inconsistent about wanting to win, and has said different things about whether he thinks he is going or not. He nominated a person who did interact with him a bit - he wasn't interested in that alliance lol.

I mentioned before how I take a lot of his therapy speak, acronyms and evangelism, so I won't repeat it here, it's personal reaction of mine anyway. I don't want people telling me they love me to camera. It doesn't get my vote.

Someone, I think it was Ricci possibly, said that at one point they had a normal conversation with Gary which was good, but it didn't last long as Gary went back to how he normally is. He may have been lying of course, but I think in terms of social interaction Gary probably isn't aware of the effect he has when he goes into monologue mode. It isn't just a Brit/USA thing - he gets that reaction in the US too.

I don't support the nastiness towards Gary, it does illustrate their limitations.

I think a lot of it is misunderstanding from the other housemates point of view tbh. I've watched a lot of these interactions and what Gary actually says is misinterpreted a lot in their responses. If they actually had a sliver of patience and listened I don't think it would have been as bad as it has been. I still don't think that excuses behaviour though.

Like the whole booing cheering thing with James when Stephanie was being evicted. James said it was all cheers. Gary observed he heard a lot of boos, James completely overreacted and literally interpreted that Gary said Stephanie deserves boos when he merely made an observation of what he heard. Considering how rude to him Stephanie had been and some of the rude things she had said to him and about him when he was there within hearing (subject to his hearing difficulties of course) he would have been fully entitled to say; 'The little bitch deserved all that booing' but he didn't say that because it isn't his way.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 08-09-2014 at 12:36 PM.
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:08 PM #24

Quote:

B

Naturally we all think differently it wouldnt do for us all to be the same but for me I love the way he thanked the Brits and declared his love, especially after James said he didnt like the Brits. That put that theory to bed.

He may be after the money because of his charity for his child. Who knows eh.

What was your theory on the evangelism bit then, I find it interesting that someone else thought about it other than me but I havent seen your comments. I know a lot of what we say is like eating onions and repeating but I did miss that one. Such a lot of theories eh but at the end of the day he has played a good game whether it is acting or otherwise he has been the talk of the day along with James.

I love a good debate so I appreciate that you are not knocking him, to me that is a good forum, a debate.

Last edited by Jules2; 08-09-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Jules2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:27 PM #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules2 View Post
[/B]
B

Naturally we all think differently it wouldnt do for us all to be the same but for me I love the way he thanked the Brits and declared his love, especially after James said he didnt like the Brits. That put that theory to bed.

He may be after the money because of his charity for his child. Who knows eh.

What was your theory on the evangelism bit then, I find it interesting that someone else thought about it other than me but I havent seen your comments. I know a lot of what we say is like eating onions and repeating but I did miss that one. Such a lot of theories eh but at the end of the day he has played a good game whether it is acting or otherwise he has been the talk of the day along with James.

I love a good debate so I appreciate that you are not knocking him, to me that is a good forum, a debate.
I don't have any well-formed theory, Gary's spirituality appears to be a mix of a lot of different things (as are a lot of people's spiritual inclinations) but in his style of speaking his is sometimes strongly reminiscent of the stereotypical latter day Evangelists or strongly reminiscent of latter day therapists. Both of which can of course have hugely inspirational effects on some people (but not on others).

It feels to me like these are constructions of his that have been built up for him to cope with certain situations (I have my doubts that he needs to perform this kind of speaking performance with close family/friends) and I actually wonder if he is a very shy man who doesn't find more personal interactions very easy at all. That this coping mechanism may actually distance him, which on the one hand can be protective, but on the other hand may alienate him more.

It may not be that he is shy - it may not be a public coping mechanism but actually all he is - but I'm not convinced.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
aggressively, gary, loving, punches, shoiuts, tells