Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

The X Factor 2004-'08 [S1-5] Discussion of previous series (2004-2008) and the contestants. Winners were Steve Brookstein, Shayne Ward, Leona Lewis, Leon Jackson and Alexandra Burke.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28-11-2007, 12:52 PM #1

Default ‘Help me get a Christmas No 1’

Quote:
‘Help me get a Christmas No 1’
X FACTOR’S Rhydian today issued a personal plea to Echo readers: Help me have the Christmas number one!

The 24-year-old – whose family hails from Cardiff – was speaking as hundreds more people in the capital pledged to support him.

He is one of only five acts left on the hit talent show and, if he wins, will secure a multi-million pound record contract and is virtually guaranteed to top the charts at Christmas.

But, the classically-trained bass baritone fears he may be knocked-out on Saturday, as the final decision on who stays in the competition now lies with the public, instead of the judges.

“I am over the moon that people in South Wales are getting behind me,” said Rhydian, as he took a short break before starting rehearsals.

“It means so much to me to have their support and I hope the readers of the South Wales Echo will also get dialling on Saturday night.”

Students at Uwic in Llandaff, workers in St David’s Centre in Cardiff and the British Gas, Ventura and 118 118 call centres in Cardiff have all pledged to vote for Rhydian after he performs two classic songs by British artists in this weekend’s live show.

And in return, he has pledged to thank them in person once the competition is over.

Rhydian has already pledged to serenade the 600 workers at Cardiff’s Zurich Insurance call centre after they backed him at the start of the contest.

Today his uncle, Cardiff businessman Nigel Roberts, said he fears complacency may cost Rhydian the X Factor crown.

“It’s not helpful being the favourite in the show,” he said.

“The worry is that people think he’s so good he’s definitely going to win and then don’t bother to vote for him.

“This is where he’s from and we want the Welsh public to really get behind him, especially this weekend as it’s not up to the judges anymore.”

Nigel said: “Leon has got the people of Scotland right behind him and we want the same here for Rhydian because he’s going to be a tremendous icon for Wales.”

Jo Price, 22, vice-president of the Uwic student union, said: “Everyone here is a big fan of Rhydian and looks forward to seeing him perform every Saturday.
“We will all definitely be voting for him.”

Sandra Busby, managing director of the Welsh Contact Centre Forum, which has also secured support for Rhydian from the Virgin call centre in Swansea and Picture Loans in Newport, said: “It has been great to see how thousands of people employed in one of Wales’ biggest industries have rallied together to get behind someone who has the potential to be one of Wales’ biggest stars.”
Source: icWales
Red Moon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
1’, christmas, ‘help