Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 03-10-2021, 11:42 AM #1
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I’d be more inclined to agree if they had attacked him in the house - but the story quite clearly states that the body was found on the porch. Guard dogs are not, or certainly should not, be trained to maul or kill and there’s a risk (if not an inevitability) of them harming someone in error.

At the very least, they need to be muzzled whilst outside of the house (including the garden) and kept securely in a room at night/when unsupervised.
Intruder is the operative word. They were on the owners' property and shouldn't have been there. It's a learning curve for criminals. As for muzzling and locking them in a room... if they are securely on your property I have no problem. I have two babies in the house. If someone breaks in, I'm going to let the dog deal with them.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:03 PM #2
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Intruder is the operative word. They were on the owners' property and shouldn't have been there. It's a learning curve for criminals. As for muzzling and locking them in a room... if they are securely on your property I have no problem. I have two babies in the house. If someone breaks in, I'm going to let the dog deal with them.
If a group of kids come into your garden to retreive a ball or... heck... even to vandalise your pot plants on a dare and your dog mauls them - your dog will be killed and you will be at risk of a prison sentence. I assume you already know that though.

Also just athought but if your own kids go messing around in a neighbours garden and get mauled or killed by their dog I would expect that you'd be round there to put it in the ground yourself with your bare hands ... I can't imagine for a second that you'd say "Oh well, poor pup, my kids shouldn't have been trespassing so fair do's".
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:13 PM #3
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
If a group of kids come into your garden to retreive a ball or... heck... even to vandalise your pot plants on a dare and your dog mauls them - your dog will be killed and you will be at risk of a prison sentence. I assume you already know that though.

Also just athought but if your own kids go messing around in a neighbours garden and get mauled or killed by their dog I would expect that you'd be round there to put it in the ground yourself with your bare hands ... I can't imagine for a second that you'd say "Oh well, poor pup, my kids shouldn't have been trespassing so fair do's".
Yes, I do already know that... and I haven't got any neighbours. My dog is a family dog first and foremost but he is also very well trained. He is protective of the children and sleeps on the landing between their rooms. If I was having strangers round I would introduce them to the dog and he's fine. But if someone came to break in, well... bad luck for them.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:16 PM #4
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Yes, I do already know that... and I haven't got any neighbours. My dog is a family dog first and foremost but he is also very well trained. He is protective of the children and sleeps on the landing between their rooms. If I was having strangers round I would introduce them to the dog and he's fine. But if someone came to break in, well... bad luck for them.
A genuine question though; what if one of your kids has a friend round, they have a falling out, and the friend punches your child in the face? You say the dog is protective of your children but in that scenario there's very real potential for a horrific outcome. No matter how well trained or intelligent a dog is, they can't be expected to understand the nuance that there's a difference between two teenage boys going a few rounds after a falling out, and someone being genuinely attacked.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:19 PM #5
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
A genuine question though; what if one of your kids has a friend round, they have a falling out, and the friend punches your child in the face? You say the dog is protective of your children but in that scenario there's very real potential for a horrific outcome. No matter how well trained or intelligent a dog is, they can't be expected to understand the nuance that there's a difference between two teenage boys going a few rounds after a falling out, and someone being genuinely attacked.
My children are small, one and two years. Once they're older then I'll have to think about the dog in relationship to the children... I'm not an idiot.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
21, breaking, bulls, death, home, intruder, mauled, pit, usa