TV Chat Chat about anything else on TV not covered by the other forums in this category.

Register to reply Log in to reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-11-2008, 03:26 PM #38
Matt's Avatar
Matt Matt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 17,871

Favourites (more):
X Factor 2013: Tamera Foster
I'maCeleb2013: Matthew Wright


Matt Matt is offline
Senior Member
Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 17,871

Favourites (more):
X Factor 2013: Tamera Foster
I'maCeleb2013: Matthew Wright


Default

Quote:
Jonathan Ross's £18m BBC deal caused Sachsgate backlash, says Terry Wogan

Sir Terry Wogan has defended the amount Jonathan Ross is paid by the BBC, but said the suspended presenter's £18m three-year deal was the reason the backlash against the Andrew Sachs prank calls incident became so fierce.

The Radio 2 breakfast presenter described the prank calls to Sachs that led to Ross being suspended and Russell Brand resigning from the station as "unforgivable".

Wogan expressed sympathy for Radio 2 controller Lesley Douglas, who also resigned following the furore, saying it was a shame "our brilliant controller" had to leave.

Speaking yesterday at the launch of Bandaged, an album of songs sung by BBC Radio 2 presenters and their friends in aid of Children in Need, Wogan also said he agreed with ITV executive chairman Michael Grade's calls earlier this week to cut bad language in broadcasting.

Wogan added that there was a problem in broadcasting of "trying to appeal to an audience that is not there".

"Most of the resentment seemed to focus at the end, not on Russell Brand, not on this judgment they made, but on Jonathan Ross's salary," Wogan said.

"Come on - if your agent negotiates £18m ... are you going to turn round and say: 'I'm not going to take that?'" he added.

"It's not his fault he's paid that money. Don't criticise him for taking the money, because all of us would."

Ross was been suspended for 12 weeks without pay last week following the broadcast of pre-recorded lewd messages he and Brand left on Sachs' answerphone about the actor's granddaughter, Georgina Baillie. The messages went out on Brand's Radio 2 show on Saturday October 18.

The BBC TV and radio presenter is reported to have signed an £18m three-year deal with the BBC, meaning he could lose around £1.5m during the suspension.

Wogan said he hope the incident would not affect the public's attitude to Radio 2 and went on to say he backed Grade's calls to cut bad language in broadcasting.

"Absolutely I agree. I'm an old geezer and I'm like Michael Grade," he added.

"I don't think it's ever acceptable and I think there will be a backlash against it. There is already a backlash and I think it's not right," Wogan said.

"The F-word is bad enough, it's just an example of people who are inarticulate. You can bleep it out.

"I think it's unprofessional. I think some people think they will have more street cred with the youth if they eff and blind."

Source: MediaGuardian.co.uk
Matt is offline  
Register to reply Log in to reply

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
added, baillie, georgina, granddaughter, rossbrand, row, sachs, speak, stories, thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 

About Us ThisisBigBrother.com

"Big Brother and UK Television Forum. Est. 2001"

 

© 2023
no new posts