Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB19 Posts about Big Brother 19 UK. Discuss the housemates and series - which was won by Cameron - here.

-----

Old 07-06-2018, 03:20 PM #1

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Keith Chegwin
BB15: Mark

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Keith Chegwin
BB15: Mark
Default Sad about Big Brother

I was watching Ultimate Big Brother back recently and although Channel 4 made it known they wanted to try something new and risk changing their programming in the summer months to accommodate new ideas, at least they gave it a good send-off.

I enjoyed the finale when they had the show with George Lamb when Davina was able to speak about her memories about the last 10 years and when Dermot hosted a last supper. It was as if the end was dignified and it celebrated the show and how it made an impact on TV as we know it.

When Channel 5 bought the rights to the show I had slight reservations given their track record with recommissioning old favourites. My fears were realised when they turned the show into a characture of its former self.

Having loud countdowns and klaxons when housemates were interviewed was bad enough, then having Marcus Bentley seemingly on something when he enunciates housemates names. His ridiculous Summer CBB 2012 is still parodied by my friend and I when he said: "whooooooooooo will it be?"

I felt Brian Dowling was treated appallingly and was sacked without any warning and then replaced by Emma Willis. I felt from the outset Brian could have suited BOTS and Emma should have presented the main show. Dropping him completely was very wrong and for me was when things turned sour. Jamie East was a good addition to BOTS but he suddenly left.

From 2015 onwards, I felt the show began to stagnate and we had the same housemates in the main one, good looking young people with the odd older person but people have grown tired of this. There is no invention, no deviation in thinking at all. It seemed as if Big Brother is following a same rule, a same path every series and it is becoming tiresome.

I was sad when Big Brother ended in 2010 because I grew up watching the show from the age of 16 to then when I was 26 and it was the thing to talk about. As someone who is interested in media I loved how it was covered, the press launches, seeing the countdown adverts and speculating who was going in.

Now I think 5 have just given up and if I was Channel 4 I would at least take back Celebrity Big Brother.

For me 5 is just a temporary home and Celebrity and Civilian Big Brother acts as a money spinner for it.
thediaryroomchair is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:23 PM #2
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

"Sad About Big Brother" would make a good alternate name for this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:48 PM #3

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BBCanada 7: Dane

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BBCanada 7: Dane

Yeah hope C4 or some other channel take BB and actually CARE for it. Smh.
Eddie. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:25 PM #4
♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
BBUSA22: Janelle

♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
BBUSA22: Janelle

Tbf times have changed, if C4 took it over now it'd probably still be a tacky mess of some form (see - how they've changed Coach Trip)

Spoiler:

reece(: is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:52 PM #5
Canadian Royalty

Canadian Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by thediaryroomchair View Post
I felt from the outset Brian could have suited BOTS and Emma should have presented the main show.
Apparently Brian didn’t want to host BBOTS.... When he agreed to be a part of the revivial it was an all or nothing deal... So with that said I feel no sympathy for him... He could have easily hosted BBOTS and let Emma take the spotlight but let his ego get the best of him.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:57 PM #6
Canadian Royalty

Canadian Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
"Sad About Big Brother" would make a good alternate name for this forum
More like longing for days that have long since past... The C4 era came to an end for a reason...
Old 07-06-2018, 04:59 PM #7

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB15: Katie Price

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB15: Katie Price

It's very sad that we've gotten to June and heard nothing. And worse still, nobody really cares. Who'd have thought it would come to this?
TomC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:01 PM #8

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Amanda Barrie
BB18: Chanelle

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Amanda Barrie
BB18: Chanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by thediaryroomchair View Post
I was watching Ultimate Big Brother back recently and although Channel 4 made it known they wanted to try something new and risk changing their programming in the summer months to accommodate new ideas, at least they gave it a good send-off.

I enjoyed the finale when they had the show with George Lamb when Davina was able to speak about her memories about the last 10 years and when Dermot hosted a last supper. It was as if the end was dignified and it celebrated the show and how it made an impact on TV as we know it.

When Channel 5 bought the rights to the show I had slight reservations given their track record with recommissioning old favourites. My fears were realised when they turned the show into a characture of its former self.

Having loud countdowns and klaxons when housemates were interviewed was bad enough, then having Marcus Bentley seemingly on something when he enunciates housemates names. His ridiculous Summer CBB 2012 is still parodied by my friend and I when he said: "whooooooooooo will it be?"

I felt Brian Dowling was treated appallingly and was sacked without any warning and then replaced by Emma Willis. I felt from the outset Brian could have suited BOTS and Emma should have presented the main show. Dropping him completely was very wrong and for me was when things turned sour. Jamie East was a good addition to BOTS but he suddenly left.

From 2015 onwards, I felt the show began to stagnate and we had the same housemates in the main one, good looking young people with the odd older person but people have grown tired of this. There is no invention, no deviation in thinking at all. It seemed as if Big Brother is following a same rule, a same path every series and it is becoming tiresome.

I was sad when Big Brother ended in 2010 because I grew up watching the show from the age of 16 to then when I was 26 and it was the thing to talk about. As someone who is interested in media I loved how it was covered, the press launches, seeing the countdown adverts and speculating who was going in.

Now I think 5 have just given up and if I was Channel 4 I would at least take back Celebrity Big Brother.

For me 5 is just a temporary home and Celebrity and Civilian Big Brother acts as a money spinner for it.
Although you do make some really good points and I resonate with your feelings of nostalgia and BB being a part of your life growing up as I'm the same age....probably a few months younger but still lol channel 4 made BB the tacky mess it is today as Channel 5 bought the show on the success and apparent positive feedback of BB11 which to me is when the whole show turned into a farce.

Outside contact.
Housemates leaving the house to do magic shows or stand up comedy.
Music montages.
The list goes on.

Channel 5 took that as their vision and ran with it then milked it to death.

Even though Channel 4 dedicated a whole evening to BB it was packed full of montages miming to "time to say goodbye"...AWFUL, then a funeral procession.

In regards to Brian Dowling I agree he would have been the perfect BOTS host but Channel 5 it seems forced him into a stereotypical male presenter role by making him wear a suit and giving him awful teleprompted lines which came across stiff as we we all know Brian is funny as fook when hes left to just do his own thing.

I think as its approaching 10 years since BB left Channel 4 I would hope they would reconsider taking it back in 2020 to celebrate its 20th anniversary and hopefully get Davina back and take it back to the original unique reality show everyone used to love and hate but had an opinion on instead of Channel 5 getting to celebrate a faux 20 years and their millionth milked series.

Last edited by pontyboi; 07-06-2018 at 05:04 PM.
pontyboi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:10 AM #9

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith
Love Island 6: Sophie

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith
Love Island 6: Sophie

Im usually excitedly waiting for it but I actually dont really care much since Love Island is on. If it comes back great but I am kinda losing the huge interest I used to have in it
rionablue is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:02 PM #10
-

Favourites (more):
BB19: Tomasz
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

-

Favourites (more):
BB19: Tomasz
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece(: View Post
Tbf times have changed, if C4 took it over now it'd probably still be a tacky mess of some form (see - how they've changed Coach Trip)
As much as I’d love C4 to take it back and have a really weird feeling lately they might (don’t ask) I think they’d go the opposite direction and take it almost too seriously? like it’d be genderquake in the BB house
T* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:10 PM #11
Canadian Royalty

Canadian Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontyboi View Post
hopefully get Davina back
Davina would NEVER return to hosting BB full-time for all the money in the world... I'm sure she'd make an appearance or two for a special series but she's made it extremely clear that's she's very happily moved on...

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
big brother, sad