Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

View Poll Results: Discriminated
Race 9 20.00%
Race
9 20.00%
Nationality 7 15.56%
Nationality
7 15.56%
Sex 11 24.44%
Sex
11 24.44%
Gender 11 24.44%
Sexuality 14 31.11%
Sexuality
14 31.11%
Religion 4 8.89%
Religion
4 8.89%
Disability 7 15.56%
Disability
7 15.56%
Physical appearance 10 22.22%
Physical appearance
10 22.22%
Class 6 13.33%
Class
6 13.33%
Occupation 5 11.11%
Occupation
5 11.11%
Other 4 8.89%
Other
4 8.89%
None 9 20.00%
None
9 20.00%
Age 6 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23-07-2018, 11:50 AM #151
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redway View Post
that is an american article in an american magazine and intended for americans

what has it got to do with the UK or this thread?
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 11:53 AM #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
that is an american article in an american magazine and intended for americans

what has it got to do with the UK or this thread?
This comment’s a reason why people make these articles in the first place.

Because black people all over the world have the same experiences on social media. That it was written in another country doesn’t make it invalid.

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude. And don’t hang on to negativity. That’s all.

Last edited by Redway; 23-07-2018 at 11:54 AM.
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 12:00 PM #153
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Closing this, I will reopen it in a while after I clean it up a bit.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 01:25 PM #154
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

OK, I'm going to re open this, just deleted 146 posts though so if it starts going off topic or if people start getting insulting with eachother again then I'm just going to close it for good

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Old 23-07-2018, 01:37 PM #155
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
I didn't ask why you didn't comment on the traveller thread when it was going on, and if you didn't see it at the time I find that quite strange as you might not be on every day but that particular thread was bumped on more than one occasion, I asked why you didn't comment as part of this thread, as I posted it on here as it is relevant to the topic that white people cannot be discriminated against which you are going at some lengths to deny, I also note you didn't comment on my personal experience, but I guess I am the wrong colour for outrage..right?
Cherie, I've just added my own thoughts to the topic and you commented on them. I haven't been reading the entire thread but judging from you confusing white people for being discriminated against based on other forms of discrimination for racism then I can only assume that's what's happened here.

In my eyes, white people in the west do not face anything close to the everyday racism that a black or an arabic person would face. It doesn't mean that white people can't face discrimination on other grounds but I just don't think racism affects us as much as it does the other races.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 01:45 PM #156
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Cherie, I've just added my own thoughts to the topic and you commented on them. I haven't been reading the entire thread but judging from you confusing white people for being discriminated against based on other forms of discrimination for racism then I can only assume that's what's happened here.

In my eyes, white people in the west do not face anything close to the everyday racism that a black or an arabic person would face. It doesn't mean that white people can't face discrimination on other grounds but I just don't think racism affects us as much as it does the other races.
if it happens, it happens, saying it happens more to one group than another doesn't lessen the impact of discrimination

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 01:55 PM #157
Banned

Banned

Quote:
if it happens, it happens, saying it happens more to one group than another doesn't lessen the impact of discrimination
I'm not saying that, I just don't think that we suffer racism at the same level as other races do and we certainly don't suffer it at a systematic level and it's doubtful we ever will and we should be thankful for that.
Old 23-07-2018, 03:13 PM #158
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I'm not saying that, I just don't think that we suffer racism at the same level as other races do and we certainly don't suffer it at a systematic level and it's doubtful we ever will and we should be thankful for that.
What are you saying, that as a white woman if I am discriminated against, I should be thankful I haven't got it worse

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 23-07-2018, 03:14 PM #159
User banned

User banned

Quote:
We likely would if we lived in many countries where whites weren't the norm. Just as blacks have it harder in many countries where non-whites aren't the norm.

I don't know the statistics worldwide but I wouldn't mind betting worldwide whites are in the minority.

Last edited by Brillopad; 23-07-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 03:18 PM #160
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

Like the white farmers in South Africa, they're facing vile racist attacks at the moment. But the "Rainbow Nation" is a long way away from the West, even if apartheid is (apparently) over.

Oliver_W is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 03:25 PM #161
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
What are you saying, that as a white woman if I am discriminated against, I should be thankful I haven't got it worse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
We likely would if we lived in many countries where whites weren't the norm. Just as blacks have it harder in many countries where non-whites aren't the norm.

I don't know the statistics worldwide but I wouldn't mind betting worldwide whites are in the minority.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
Like the white farmers in South Africa, they're facing vile racist attacks at the moment. But the "Rainbow Nation" is a long way away from the West, even if apartheid is (apparently) over.
You're all just fighting for the sake of fighting now literally nobody has said that -blank- type of discrimination doesnt exist. It all exists, and its all tragic.

Some types of discrimination tends to be more common than others, and some types of discrimination tends to be more harsh than others... and fighting that back with what ifs and buts isnt helpful to anybody.

It just looks like your trying to minimise the types of discrimination that you cant personally relate to.. it looks really sad.
Old 23-07-2018, 03:32 PM #162
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withano View Post
You're all just fighting for the sake of fighting now literally nobody has said that -blank- type of discrimination doesnt exist. It all exists, and its all tragic.

Some types of discrimination tends to be more common than others, and some types of discrimination tends to be more harsh than others... and fighting that back with what ifs and buts isnt helpful to anybody.

It just looks like your trying to minimise the types of discrimination that you cant personally relate to.. it looks really sad.
I could just as easily turn that around on you - as it has often seemed to me that is exactly what you are doing - simply focusing on discrimination closer to home. I really think you could say that of most people.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 03:35 PM #163
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
I could just as easily turn that around on you - as it has often seemed to me that is exactly what you are doing - simply focusing on discrimination closer to home. I really think you could say that of most people.
Please quote me where youve think ive done anything remotely similar to the disrespect youve shown in here

Everyones history with discrimination are valid. You are literally trying to invalidate them for some reason. It looks sad.

Last edited by Withano; 23-07-2018 at 03:36 PM.
Withano is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 03:36 PM #164
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Guys I will close this thread permanently if you all start attacking eachother.............just a warning before it gets worse

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 23-07-2018, 03:40 PM #165
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withano View Post

Not saying that, so no its not sad at all, and who is fighting? all I see are responses on a thread

Last edited by Cherie; 23-07-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 24-07-2018, 12:08 PM #166
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Absolutely not but let's be honest here, you already know that's not what I said.

Again, like I mentioned before, you are muddying the issue when I've been more than clear on what I mean.

What you are talking about here is sexism, sexism isn't dependant on the colour of your skin but your gender....obviously. For someone that incorrectly tried to make out that I was making discrimination a competition, you're doing an excellent job of trying to make discrimination a competition.

As white people, we do not experience racism on anywhere near the same level as other races, that is just the fact of the matter and we should be grateful for that.

I've said this a few times but hopefully this time you won't ignore it. White people do not suffer from discrimination based on racism on anywhere near the same level as other ehnicities but this doesn't mean that white people do not face discrimination on other grounds.

Last edited by Tom4784; 24-07-2018 at 12:08 PM.
Old 24-07-2018, 12:55 PM #167
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Absolutely not but let's be honest here, you already know that's not what I said.

Again, like I mentioned before, you are muddying the issue when I've been more than clear on what I mean.

What you are talking about here is sexism, sexism isn't dependant on the colour of your skin but your gender....obviously. For someone that incorrectly tried to make out that I was making discrimination a competition, you're doing an excellent job of trying to make discrimination a competition.

As white people, we do not experience racism on anywhere near the same level as other races, that is just the fact of the matter and we should be grateful for that.

I've said this a few times but hopefully this time you won't ignore it. White people do not suffer from discrimination based on racism on anywhere near the same level as other ehnicities but this doesn't mean that white people do not face discrimination on other grounds.
I am not ignoring anything, you are the one ignoring that not all white people have it easy, firstly it depends whether you live in your own country or not, many whites will experience racism as immigrants, or expats, all travellers suffer racism regularly, are you denying that? so this airy fairy idea that whites do not suffer racism is coming from you a person who has never lived or travelled very much outside of the UK, would you say some white Eastern Europeans are not subject to racism in the UK????

Old 24-07-2018, 12:58 PM #168
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I am not ignoring anything, you are the one ignoring that not all white people have it easy, firstly it depends whether you live in your own country or not, many whites will experience racism as immigrants, or expats, all travellers suffer racism regularly, are you denying that? so this airy fairy idea that whites do not suffer racism is coming from you a person who has never lived or travelled very much outside of the UK, would you say some white Eastern Europeans are not subject to racism in the UK????
The point is Travelers don't experience racism because they're white and eastern Europeans don't experience racism because they're white.........

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 24-07-2018, 01:05 PM #169
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
The point is Travelers don't experience racism because they're white and eastern Europeans don't experience racism because they're white.........
they are still white though, Dezzy is saying whites don't experience racism...

Old 24-07-2018, 01:12 PM #170
0_o

0_o

I am sure white people do suffer racism in places where white people are a minority. Not in the UK though.

I answered sex, sexuality and disability. Sexuality should maybe go, I have had 'looks' and such when out with my ex girlfriend but not been discriminated against as such. Sex for sure, went for a job interview where the (male) interviewer specifically asked me if I plan to have children, as I was maybe 24 or so. I was perfect for that job too, but he gave it to a guy who was useless (and actually got sacked a few months later)..I suspect as he did not believe me when I said I wasn't wanting kids just yet Its terrible really, they aren't meant to ask stuff like that but they do.

As for disability, yes but it was maybe justified. Again for a job. I wouldn't employ me in the state I am in but I had an ESA medical where I was cured in 20 mins, which was amazing given the hospital have been trying to fix me for 5 years now! So had to go on jobseekers for a few weeks(they didn't want to sign me on JSA as they said I was clearly not fit for work) so I applied for a job I was probably overqualified for, but had one of my bad pain attacks while I was there. I guess they saw me as someone who would be off sick most of the time, which is about right. So yeah. I think that was pretty justified and I don't blame them at all for that.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 01:13 PM #171
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
they are still white though, Dezzy is saying whites don't experience racism...
Travelers and eastern Europeans aren't a different race to other white people though is the point, they can be discriminated against based on the fact that they are travelers and are Eastern European but that isn't racism

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 24-07-2018, 01:28 PM #172
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Travelers and eastern Europeans aren't a different race to other white people though is the point, they can be discriminated against based on the fact that they are travelers and are Eastern European but that isn't racism
I don't agree, of course it is racism

Last edited by Cherie; 24-07-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old 24-07-2018, 01:33 PM #173
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I don't agree, of course it is racism
But they're not being discriminated because of their race though, Eastern European isn't a race, Traveler isn't a race

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 24-07-2018, 01:44 PM #174
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
But they're not being discriminated because of their race though, Eastern European isn't a race, Traveler isn't a race
Ethnicity/race you are just splitting hairs now

The recent change in hate crimes say you can no longer all someone an 'Irish' so and so...so make of that what you will

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...lers-prejudice

Last edited by Cherie; 24-07-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 24-07-2018, 01:47 PM #175
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Ethnicity/race you are just splitting hairs now

The recent change in hate crimes say you can no longer all someone an 'Irish' so and so...so make of that what you will
I'm not splitting hairs though they're all white and they're not discriminated against for being white, someone discriminating against an Irish person is xenophobic not racist

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
discriminated