Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Old 28-07-2018, 06:29 PM #1

Favourites (more):
BBUSA18: Da'Vonne
CBB15: Perez Hilton

Favourites (more):
Default Auditioning for Reality shows (conflicting issue)

As someone who's a fan of reality television since they were like 8 years old, and still wants to be on a reality show or reality game show someday, (and being that I'm black and gay and I'm 27 now, and I do have an interesting story, I don't want to say it's a sob story because I guess it kinda is depending on who you talk to, but I do have an interesting story. Anyways.)

I have auditioned for several reality shows, and have gone to casting calls as well, and I follow many reality people on my twitter and we follow each other, which I don't think I can advertise, so I'm not going to. But I wanted to talk about this issue.

I feel that ordinarily, you would assume someone who's a major fan of reality television, and has watched all the seasons of Survivor, Big Brother, The Bachelor, The Real World, The Challenge etc, whatever the hell else etc. They would be the perfect person, and being that they are a super fan of reality tv and know all the rules, they are going to be casted. When that sadly isn't true.

The correct answer is that nobody knows what those casting directors are looking for in that particular show/season. Big Brother is a prime example. If you look at all the seasons (using the UK version even though I'm American). Each cast had a particular theme, and generally a season either had a bunch of crazies (and I say that with respect) like BB10 and 11 which you can't prove your point more than that. With some seasons being more neutral and based on aesthetic and how attractive someone is whether that's physical or mental, like BB12 and I'll say BB18 as well.

Me, I would have a better chance at being casted in one of the crazy seasons, because my ass is crazy lol, as someone else is more mellow with their personality, and it would be different, and that's fine.

You also have to realize the type of show you're audition for, and maybe you should consider something else, or understand your competition. For example (there are exceptions to the rule, maybe you might see this with men, but with girls, no) in Love Island and Ex on the Beach, and Are You The One, you're not going to see an obese, geeky, or oblong person. It's just not going to happen. Their agenda (and it's fine because that's the point of the show) is to cast attractive people that at least look like lower class H&M models, with them preferring better looking people than that lol.

Finally, before getting to my main point, I also believe that reality shows nowadays, mostly consists of actors and people aspiring to get into entertainment, and people the producers picked that they know are going to make good TV. Which is fine and lovely, as some people who are fans that audition, also wish to gain popularity by that, but some people just want the experience, and aren't looking for prestige or to be famous really, so I don't know.

My main point comes from an issue I originally put on the Big Brother reddit, and I was downvoted so badly for which you guys can read here. You guys don't have to read it, I kinda go over the same points here, but still.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BigBrother/...ality_tv_rant/

So Dan from Big Brother US, who won the season he was on, started a podcast to where he gives tips and advice and answers questions from people wanting to get on shows like Big Brother. Most of the tips he gave I agree with, others I don't.

With one particular issue he brought up, where there was this guy who made an audition video, and heard nothing back from the producers. The person who sent him the question under whatever circumstances, revealed that he was invited to a reality television convention or function, and some of the producers from the show he wants to get on will be there. He asked Dan, should he milk his presence and kinda primp them so they "pull some strings" you know to make his chances better etc, or should he just play it cool and not say anything.

Dan gave what I thought was terrible advice, and told the guy not to say anything, as that's going to make his chances on getting on the show lower.

In the same video, Dan gave more incorrect advice in my opinion, to another listener, that said should he send in an audition video,or go to a casting call. To where Dan tells him not bother going to a casting call, and to stick with sending in audition videos.

Here's the video.

When all of that is complete bullcrap. Reality television, is still television. It's in the title lol. With the question where the guy asked should he make a fool of himself at an event with producers of the show, the answer in my book is yes. In television, and in show business, flattery will get you everywhere. Everything in Hollywood is connected nowadays, and it's based on who you know, and if you don't know anybody, it's based on how you act.

Going to a casting call, or a function with other reality tv stars or whatever, is a perfect golden opportunity for that. Maybe I'm just crazy for thinking that, but that's what I believe.

Maybe in his audition video, he seemed boring, the lighting was bad, dogs were barking, background music as too loud. etc. Maybe he does better when they see him face to face and can sense his energy etc.

My absolute final point, is that I'm watching a video from one of my fav Big Brother contestants Davonne, and she talks about how she originally made an audition video, and looking back at it, she can tell how horrible it was, so she decided to go to a casting call, to where she was eventually put on the show. So if Davonne followed Dan's advice, she most likely would not have been on Big Brother smh. So this is something I wanted to put out there, and talk about this issue.

Last edited by 854; 28-07-2018 at 06:45 PM.
854 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 06:44 PM #2

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Again, I think it depends on the particular show, and I don't know. This is my opinion, and I can say what I want thank you.

Last edited by 854; 28-07-2018 at 06:47 PM.
854 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
auditioning, conflicting, issue, reality, shows