Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:57 AM #1
TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):

Default Roundup is accused of causing cancer in America and is banned across europe

Roundup is the UK’s most widely used weedkiller and the most popular in history
However, the safety of its big ingredient, glyphosate, has since been challenged
Some claim it's linked to serious conditions including liver and kidney disease
So should we be worried by Roundup and other popular glyphosate products?

We eat it in our food and spray it on our gardens and allotments. It is all over our parks and farmers’ crops.

Roundup is the UK’s most widely used weedkiller and globally the most popular in history.

When the U.S. company Monsanto launched the product in 1974, its marketing men proclaimed it to be a technological breakthrough that killed almost every weed without harming humans or the environment.

But since the Nineties, the safety of Roundup — and its active ingredient glyphosate — has been challenged by studies that suggest that the weedkiller is linked to serious conditions including liver and kidney disease, infertility, birth abnormalities and cancer.

Nevertheless, its use in UK farming has increased by an astonishing 400 per cent in the past 20 years, government figures show.

One-third of Britain’s crop-growing land is now treated with glyphosate (Monsanto’s patent for Roundup has expired, but while there are now more than 20 suppliers of glyphosate in Europe, Roundup remains the market leader, earning it some £1.5 billion a year worldwide).

Now its use is effectively being challenged in a landmark legal case in America.

In San Francisco, DeWayne Johnson, 46, a father of three and former school groundsman, is taking Monsanto to court.

He has a form of non-Hodgkin lymphoma, a cancer of the white blood cells that caused cancerous lesions to form over most of his body. Doctors say he may have only months to live.

Johnson says he developed symptoms after he was twice accidentally drenched in Roundup while spraying schoolyards at work. He also had the chemical waft regularly into his face.

His lawyers have claimed in court that Monsanto has known for decades that Roundup is carcinogenic but didn’t disclose it.

There is sparse clinical research to support Johnson’s claims about a specific link between Roundup and his non-Hodgkin lymphoma.

In 2014, a meta-analysis of previous studies, published in the International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, found only a ‘handful’ of papers that reported associations between glyphosate and non-Hodgkin lymphoma.

COUNTRIES THAT HAVE BANNED HERBICIDE

The analysts, from the International Agency for Research on Cancer in Lyon, France, said that much more research is needed to establish whether an actual cause-and-effect link exists between the herbicide and this type of cancer.

However, in courts across the U.S. more than 400 other people are suing the chemical giant in a class-action lawsuit which says that they or their deceased family members contracted non-Hodgkin lymphoma caused by contact with Roundup.

The cases are the culmination of years of litigation and weeks of court hearings about the controversial science surrounding the safety of glyphosate.

Monsanto is fighting the claims vigorously, saying that there is no evidence for a cancer link.

But should we be sufficiently worried by Roundup and other glyphosate weedkillers to avoid using them in our gardens?

Some European countries are deeply concerned about the chemical’s possible effects on humans and the environment. In January, Germany’s government agreed to begin the process of banning glyphosate over safety fears — and in April its agriculture minister said she was finalising a resolution to end its use in household gardens, parks and sports facilities, with further plans to set ‘massive’ limits for its use in agriculture. Last year the Belgian government banned domestic gardeners from using it.

Portugal prohibited glyphosate’s use in all public spaces two years ago. Last November, President Emmanuel Macron announced that France would ban it outright within three years.

Such laws have been prompted by evidence such as a study in the journal Food and Chemical Toxicology in 2013, which warned that glyphosate can, in lab studies, cause human breast cancer cells to proliferate up to 13 times faster than normal.

Glyphosate seems to act as a synthetic form of the female hormone oestrogen, according to the oncologists at Bangkok’s Environmental Toxicology Program who led the study. They suggested that this can accelerate the growth of forms of breast cancer that are fuelled by oestrogen.

Nevertheless, in Britain, the National Farmers’ Union is lobbying for glyphosate to be retained.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ing-weeds.html

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.

Spoiler:

Israel we Love You
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:22 AM #2

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
CBB18: Renee Graziano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post
Johnson says he developed symptoms after he was twice accidentally drenched in Roundup while spraying schoolyards at work. He also had the chemical waft regularly into his face.
Well getting drenched with any chemical is never going to be great is it!

There's been studies saying that anywhere from 1 in 5 to 1 in 2 of us will develop cancer during our lifetime though so we're basically all screwed whether we use weed killer or not. And according to the Daily Mail, literally everything causes cancer. So, I'm not too bothered about it. If the weed killer doesn't get me then something else will!

Last edited by RichardG; 07-08-2018 at 07:22 AM.
RichardG is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:24 AM #3
TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):

TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):

true Richard, then you're asking for trouble if you get the chemical really drenched over you

and maybe instead of weed killing agents we can also remove the weeds just with our hands, with a large group of people for example

Spoiler:

Israel we Love You
Old 07-08-2018, 07:36 AM #4
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardG View Post

There's been studies saying that anywhere from 1 in 5 to 1 in 2 of us will develop cancer during our lifetime though so we're basically all screwed whether we use weed killer or not. And according to the Daily Mail, literally everything causes cancer. So, I'm not too bothered about it. If the weed killer doesn't get me then something else will!
According to Google, everything IS cancer. I had hiccups a few days ago and googled the cause of hiccups out of curiosity, and Google was literally like "Maybe cancer". Haha...
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:45 AM #5

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
According to Google, everything IS cancer. I had hiccups a few days ago and googled the cause of hiccups out of curiosity, and Google was literally like "Maybe cancer". Haha...
I'll see you on the other side then...
RichardG is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:04 AM #6
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardG View Post

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:00 PM #7
iconic

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
BB19: Lewis F
iconic

Favourites (more):

If that's true then that's terrible. Pretty much everything plays a role in cancer according to the tabloids tho, so you can't live your life worrying about these things too much :/

Favourite housemates
if a series is excluded, then I haven't watched it or don't currently have a favourite.
Spoiler:

Favourite housemates (BBUK)
BB18: Chanelle
BB17: Jayne
BB16: Joel
BB15: Ashleigh
BB14: Gina
BB8: Charley
BB7: Nikki
BB6: Makosi

JoshBB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:04 PM #8
TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):

TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBB View Post
If that's true then that's terrible. Pretty much everything plays a role in cancer according to the tabloids tho, so you can't live your life worrying about these things too much :/
burned food also can play a role in cancer, my mom Always tells me not to eat the burned bits

but they aren't that tasty anyway when it's burned, Always so bitter

Spoiler:

Israel we Love You
Old 07-08-2018, 01:06 PM #9
iconic

Favourites (more):
iconic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post
burned food also can play a role in cancer, my mom Always tells me not to eat the burned bits

but they aren't that tasty anyway when it's burned, Always so bitter
i don't consume burnt food so that's fine

Favourite housemates
if a series is excluded, then I haven't watched it or don't currently have a favourite.
Spoiler:

Favourite housemates (BBUK)
BB18: Chanelle
BB17: Jayne
BB16: Joel
BB15: Ashleigh
BB14: Gina
BB8: Charley
BB7: Nikki
BB6: Makosi

JoshBB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote