Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 20-08-2018, 08:16 PM #1
I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Tom
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Tom
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Default Asia Argento accused of paying off actor who says she sexually assaulted him aged 17

Quote:
One of the most prominent activists of the #MeToo movement against sexual harassment recently settled a complaint filed against her by a young actor and musician who said she sexually assaulted him when he was 17, the New York Times reported.

Asia Argento, 42, settled the notice of intent to sue filed by Jimmy Bennett, who is now 22, for $380,000 shortly after she said last October that movie mogul Harvey Weinstein raped her, the Times reported.

Argento and Bennett co-starred in a 2004 film The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things, in which Argento played Bennett’s mother.

Bennett says in the notice that he had sex with Argento in a California hotel in 2013. The age of consent in California is 18. The notice says the encounter traumatised Bennett, affected his mental health and damaged his career, the Times reported.

The notice claims that Bennett arrived at the Ritz-Carlton in Marina del Rey to meet Argento in her hotel room on 10 May 2013, with a family member. Argento asked to be alone with Bennett and the family member left. Bennett claims Argento gave him alcohol before proceeding to kiss him and perform oral sex before having intercourse with him.

The documents say that Argento then asked to take a number of photos with him. Photos of Argento and Bennett semi-clothed in bed, as well as an Instagram post of their faces taken on that day, were included in the notice of intent to sue. Three people familiar with the case said the documents were authentic, the Times reported.

Argento became one of the most well-known activists of the #MeToo movement after she told the New Yorker magazine that Weinstein raped her at the Cannes film festival in 1997 when she was 21. Argento told the magazine that she continued to have a relationship with Weinstein because she was afraid of angering him.

Weinstein has been indicted on sex crime accusations involving three women, but not including Argento. He denies all charges of non-consensual sex.

Since the Weinstein allegations became public, Argento has spoken out about sexual harassment both in Hollywood and her home country of Italy and given high-profile talks on the subject at Harvard University and at the Cannes film festival.

The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things was directed by Argento and based on the novel by JT LeRoy. In the film, she plays a drug-taking prostitute struggling to care for her young son, played by Bennett, who is raped by one of her boyfriends. Her character persuades her son to cross-dress and act as an increasingly seductive “little sister”.

Writing on Twitter in the wake of the New York Times report, Rose McGowan – who has also accused Weinstein of assault – wrote that her “heart is broken”.

I got to know Asia Argento ten months ago. Our commonality is the shared pain of being assaulted by Harvey Weinstein. My heart is broken. I will continue my work on behalf of victims everywhere.

The Guardian has reached out to Argento for comment, but at the time of publication had not received a response. Through a representative, Bennett declined an interview with the New York Times.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...-jimmy-bennett

Spoiler:

[/CENTER]

Denver is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 08:18 PM #2
swapped for scrabble

Favourites (more):
BB19: Brooke
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

swapped for scrabble

Favourites (more):
BB19: Brooke
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

How embarrassing.

Spoiler:

Shifra, Tzabar, Ranin. BBIL 2008.
y.winter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 08:29 PM #3
Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
CBB19: Kim Woodburn

Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
CBB19: Kim Woodburn

A mess!

Rose has distanced herself from her quick too
Old 22-08-2018, 11:12 PM #4
Banned

Banned

A messy story in which it seems like neither side is coming off well judging by how it's developing.

She's vile for her actions (and should face consequences for breaking the law) but he is coming across as quite opportunistic himself. It's quite grotesque to use the metoo movement for a payout.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 06:43 AM #5
-

-

I don't know that it's necessarily opportunistic... I can understand why he would, when seeing her being a prominent figure in the MeToo campaign, think "what a ****ing hypocrite!" and be prompted to take action. It would be a bit of a slap in the face.

But then, I don't know a huge amount about the specifics of the case.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
17, accused, actor, aged, argento, asia, assaulted, paying, sexually