Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB19 Posts about Big Brother 19 UK. Discuss the housemates and series - which was won by Cameron - here.

-----

Old 13-09-2018, 11:13 PM #1

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Amanda Barrie
BB18: Chanelle

Favourites (more):
Default Interview with Rylan about the upcoming series

Celebrity Big Brother was a big hit with fans this year, how do you think it compared to previous series?

It was a great series, if I’ being honest you just never know how it’s going to go but something big seems to happen every single time! Look at Lee, Jasmin and Casey for example, or the David’s dead thing! This time around nobody could have guessed how things were going to unfold. You couldn’t have written it!

Initially, it was clear a lot was set up around Stormy Daniels. Her not going in though gave the others more airtime. Are you pleased she didn’t go in?

Well with that first task it was clear to see the first week was based around Stormy and when she pulled out a few hours before launch I don’t think some people were very pleased. You know what though, each to their own. Nobody is a housemate until they go in. I think it goes to show, as I said the following night that no housemate is bigger than Big Brother. I don’t know if I’m pleased she went in or if she didn’t. If she had gone in, who knows what else could have happened? I’m just really pleased with how it turned out to be. It goes to show that the show is still great.

All Channel 5 boss Ben Frow has said about the show’s future is “no Big Brother next year” – what do you understand that to mean?
I have no idea how to take that and I genuinely don’t know anything. If I did know something I would have said by now, you know me! We’re very honest about it. There’s the risk that the contract is up this year, our contracts are up too and I’m surprised we don’t know anything yet and it is so late in the day. I love the show, it still has plenty of life in it whether that’s in this form or a different form and I have always said I’m a superfan and there’s no reason for it to end now.

Speaking as a fan of the show, do you think Channel 5 is the right home for it?

As a fan I just love Big Brother. I think this series has shown it doesn’t matter where it sits, I don’t think that is important. What does matter is how it’s produced. Look at the recent celeb series, there was no outside contact this year, it went back to two housemates up for eviction every week and there was no meddling it the format. I’m all for the big brother religion, it’s a game and these are the rules and I prefer no meddling. Sometimes twists do work but sometimes it works better without it, and the superfans love it. I talk to fans all the time and I pass their feedback on and my own feedback and we always say the show is a social experiment… lets see what happens when we put people in a house together, and it is a game.

Further to that, we had more access on BBOTS this year and we had more access in the house, so that meant we could give a lot more backstage insights and people definitely love that as well. The series was so well produced, it is a social experiment, it is people living in a house and the drama naturally unfolds from who is in there.

So in your mind, Big Brother isn’t going anywhere?
It all proves there’s still life in it, it’s 18 years old tomorrow! The 18th series. Not many shows do that. How many shows still get talked about like this after all that time? I love working with Channel 5, I’ve done my chat show and BBBOTS is fantastic to do. They’re great and I just hope it stays and we can continue.

Like the celebrity series, everything is pointing to the new civilian series going back to basics. Does that mean chickens?

I don’t know about chickens although I’d like them! People loved the celeb series this year and those classic elements will carry over into the civilian series. It’s definitely more of a game this time. I don’t know if you saw on BBBOTS but I had a Big Brother coin. That coin will play a massive part this series. I can’t tell you anything more about it, but I cannot wait to see everyone’s reaction. Yeah that’s all I can say… this series is very much a game.

So in your mind, Big Brother isn’t going anywhere?

It all proves there’s still life in it, it’s 18 years old tomorrow! The 18th series. Not many shows do that. How many shows still get talked about like this after all that time? I love working with Channel 5, I’ve done my chat show and BBBOTS is fantastic to do. They’re great and I just hope it stays and we can continue.

Like the celebrity series, everything is pointing to the new civilian series going back to basics. Does that mean chickens?
I don’t know about chickens although I’d like them! People loved the celeb series this year and those classic elements will carry over into the civilian series. It’s definitely more of a game this time. I don’t know if you saw on BBBOTS but I had a Big Brother coin. That coin will play a massive part this series. I can’t tell you anything more about it, but I cannot wait to see everyone’s reaction. Yeah that’s all I can say… this series is very much a game.

Big Brother works best when it sticks to its own roots rather than trying to emulate other things, but the Love Island comparisons keep coming. From the teasers, all the housemates look young and fit, don’t they?
I’ve seen the teasers and it does seem like a young house but I wouldn’t go just on age. It’s a very different selection to what I think we’ve seen in the last few years. Don’t read into the ages, read into what the people do. They are normal people and they do have normal backgrounds and I think viewers will love that, it has been cast in a very different way this time. I think people will quickly forget about age, age doesn’t come into it, you could be 17 or you could be 70 it’s about people, their backgrounds and their personalities. So yes it’s a young house, but I don’t think it plays any part in that.

Speaking of back to basics, as it’s a game will we see more of a psychology angle this time like in the old days of Big Brother?

I’d like to get more of the psychology into BBBOTs, definitely. I think there will be more of that angle because of how the game will be played this year, more psychoanalysis. I think everyone will be very pleasantly surprised and after the celeb series, the fans will see we’re listening. It’s me being the voice piece internally between the fans and the producers and yes, all I can say is they’re listening. Equally, if you’ve never watched the show before you should do, because it genuinely will be so interesting to see what happens with these housemates and how they play the game.
Old 13-09-2018, 11:20 PM #2

Okay I'm really excited now and I didn't think I would be.

The coin is intriguing me!

Last edited by LaLaLand; 13-09-2018 at 11:21 PM.
LaLaLand is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 11:24 PM #3

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB16: Natasha Hamilton

Favourites (more):
CBB16: Natasha Hamilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontyboi View Post
It’s 18 years old tomorrow! The 18th series.
uhm. I don't know when this interview is from or if it's even real but, we just 'celebrated' the 18th birthday and we're going onto the 19th series
Ant. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 11:33 PM #4
No filter

Favourites (more):
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

No filter

Favourites (more):

I’d believe Rylan more if he hadn’t said during BB17 that the game was changing hugely and that he and Emma basically had new jobs.

Mind you, he’s totally right about the age thing. A wide range of ages is nice but we’ve had a lot more iconic younger housemates than older.
Old 14-09-2018, 12:32 AM #5
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob! View Post
I’d believe Rylan more if he hadn’t said during BB17 that the game was changing hugely and that he and Emma basically had new jobs.

Mind you, he’s totally right about the age thing. A wide range of ages is nice but we’ve had a lot more iconic younger housemates than older.
The more I look back on that promo campaign, the weirder I find it. What actually changed? They built a new house and then closed it after a week, but aside from some kind of BB10 non-housemate twist rerun, there was no format changes the whole 'the game is changing' thing is REALLY baffling in hindsight. I know we've had bull**** themes before but that was another level

It makes me wonder - did they genuinely have plans to introduce a new format and then shelved it last minute?
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 12:34 AM #6
Legends Only

Favourites (more):
BB19: Sian
Apprentice 2018: Sabrina
Legends Only

Favourites (more):
BB19: Sian
Apprentice 2018: Sabrina

All the 'The Game is Changing' hype only for it to lead up to a new eviction set and extra task space is kind of iconic
Old 14-09-2018, 01:57 AM #7

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbro View Post
uhm. I don't know when this interview is from or if it's even real but, we just 'celebrated' the 18th birthday and we're going onto the 19th series
Its from a few days ago if you read it in full he talks about the summer series. Guess he just had a brain fart on that question?
Old 14-09-2018, 02:13 AM #8
No filter

Favourites (more):

No filter

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
The more I look back on that promo campaign, the weirder I find it. What actually changed? They built a new house and then closed it after a week, but aside from some kind of BB10 non-housemate twist rerun, there was no format changes the whole 'the game is changing' thing is REALLY baffling in hindsight. I know we've had bull**** themes before but that was another level

It makes me wonder - did they genuinely have plans to introduce a new format and then shelved it last minute?
It makes me wonder whether they genuinely were planning on having the second house as a complete secret before Marco and co ran through the camera runs, though seeing as it was widely reported before the auditions had even finished that there was a massive extension being built and the eye basically showed that there were two houses so God knows.
Old 14-09-2018, 03:33 AM #9
how i'm feeling now

Favourites (more):
CBB 13: Luisa Zissman

how i'm feeling now

Favourites (more):
CBB 13: Luisa Zissman

I’m so perched
Old 14-09-2018, 09:27 AM #10

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
Love Island 5: Amber

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
Love Island 5: Amber

Lowkey can tell he hates what c5 does with bb too just contractually obligated to not say it outright

Last edited by Elliot; 14-09-2018 at 09:28 AM.
Elliot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
interview, rylan, series, upcoming