Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 20-09-2018, 09:11 PM #1
Banned

Banned

Default Star Trek's Future is alive inside Peter Dinklage

You discerning people who frequent these hallowed walls should know all about Star Trek. Love it or hate it, it is iconic.

You probably also notice that we are living in an age of "social ****ing justice". It looks to the eyes of normal people like everybody who isn't white and heterosexual is getting an award for some really boring thing or another that just seems to bring the whole thing down.

I have a better idea. If we want a great blend of great acting, "social ****ing justice" and the best TV sci-fi concept ever then it is time for PETER DINKLAGE to be announced as the new Captain of the Starship Enterprise.
Binbin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 09:13 PM #2

#OscarsSoWhite
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 09:15 PM #3
Mokka

Favourites (more):
BB19: Tomasz
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Mokka

Favourites (more):
BB19: Tomasz
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Lol... someone didn't see the win list at the emmy's
You've entered the post apocalyptic ruins of a site about a dead show, where every battle imaginable has already been fought a hundred times over. A cynical world of hardened arseholes where the mods have stopped caring, and the administrator is watching Tetris championships while the rest of us bicker in here.
Mokka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 09:17 PM #4
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binbin View Post
It looks to the eyes of normal people like everybody who isn't white and heterosexual is getting an award for some really boring thing or another that just seems to bring the whole thing down.
white and heterosexual and now I must add, specifically, of normal human size. You made me do it.
Old 20-09-2018, 09:18 PM #5

You're a silly boy, aren't you?
Old 20-09-2018, 09:18 PM #6
Banned

Banned

That is not a comment that I care to confirm or deny #falsebeard.
Old 20-09-2018, 09:19 PM #7

Little tinker.
Old 20-09-2018, 09:24 PM #8
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
Little tinker.
OK, I accept your lobbying...

white, heterosexual, of normal sized....and just for you...in any way useful to society. You made me do it again!
Old 21-09-2018, 02:12 AM #9

Why did the recent Netflix Star Trek series
Fecking Fail?

Got terrible reviews
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 03:51 AM #10
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

I used to love binge-watching ST. Nothing greater than long nights spent watching DS9/Voyager/Next Generation through entirety after the comedy shows . I've probably seen DS9 alone 500+ times in full at this point. Thankfully, none of it was produced in the era we now live in... DS9 in particular would've been an obvious mess.

Anyway, I am not really for politicizing anymore of our media. I think Star Trek has healthy amounts of social issues in it, but what's great is re-watching and noticing something new and special each time... always makes me rethink... the level of politics we have now in our mainstream discourse is the US is far from healthy doses and much of it is very careless. Frankly, I want less politics in our entertainment media from this point... not that I have an issue with political commentary in general, but we're very political by nature in just by the way our culture is "designed", and so it's unnecessary for us to have it in regurgitated/regenerated in all of our entertainment media as well...

Another irony, sort of off-topic... a common quote thought-process here is that Republicans are more likely to be nationalistic. Except it's left-sided media now filling media up with fear-mongering and doom predictions about America and how we must together (and over vague sentiments) as a nation to take back the democracy/narrative/whatevs... I just thought that was interesting. It is all being drowned out anyway, the actual meaning behing it since as I say, our culture by design makes us more "politically aware" just by virtue of being American... I think most folk are already convinced wherever they stand on particular issues and the rest just ends up being noise/rhetoric.

Anyway... If you really want a thoughtful and socially-conscious ST, then watch DS9. Nothing compares to it now. Themes about slavery/holocaust, a black captain who ends up being a prophet/religious icon/icon of an alien race of former slaves set far in the future... but sign of the times (the 90's), the DVD version took out the more racier dialogue about "wrinkled broken noses"... and yes, racy dialogue is now back in vogue (), but what is beneath most of it is adventitious dribble...

Such great acting and a powerful narrative

In 1995 Star Trek Predicted the San Francisco Homeless Crisis With Uncanny Accuracy
https://www.barstoolsports.com/bosto...canny-accuracy

Quote:
SFGate – Someone on Reddit posted a screen grab from an old episode of “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” depicting a San Francisco street in 2024, and people can’t believe it wasn’t photographed in a South of Market alley yesterday.

The image from the prescient 1995 two-part “Deep Space Nine” episode “Past Tense” shows a homeless encampment pouring into a street. Tents and large cardboard boxes share space on the asphalt with oil drum fires as a couple dozen street people mill about.

In “Past Tense,” Commander Sisko, Dr. Bashir, and Jadzia Dax beam down from the Defiant to Earth, but due to an accident, materialize in San Francisco in the year 2024. Two of them are marched to a “Sanctuary District,” a walled-off ghetto that the city has built to contain the poor, sick and mentally disabled. Subsequent events create a butterfly effect in the timeline that the Defiant crew must counter in order to return to the ship.

The similarity of a fictional dystopian San Francisco in 2024 to the real San Francisco of today was not missed by the Reddit crowd, which was inspired to post more than 175 comments.

“They were not really too far off the mark,” wrote one commenter.

“Yeah, don’t remove any of it, but just shove the tents and s— to the sidewalk, and you’ve got a picture of SoMa here,” another replied.

I’m a huge Star Trek guy but I missed this because DS9 is a blind spot for me. I just didn’t watch it. It seemed like an odd choice for a franchise that is supposed to be about exploring the deepest reaches of the unchartered galaxy to be set in a space station. It just sounded like an adventure set in a Greyhound terminal so I gave it a pass. And even though this “Past Tense” just sounds like a rehash of “The City on the Edge of Forever,” the best episode ever from Star Trek: The Original Series when Kirk, Spock and McCoy travel back to the Great Depression and change history so they have to set it right, you still have to give credit where credit is due. The DS9 producers got the future right. This is San Francisco right now:

It’s eerily the same, minus a couple of barrel fires. Tragically so. It’s stuff like this that is what makes great science fiction. Being able to predict a future with uncanny preciseness. The way Jules Verne came up with the first idea for a submarine and one of the first motion pictures ever was about a rocketship going to the moon. Unfortunately Star Trek, a show that Gene Roddenberry created during the height of the Cold War and civil unrest, mostly predicted a future of peace and racial harmony. But the only things the franchise has really nailed with dead balls accuracy is that we all carry around communicators, and we haven’t figured out jack **** about how to keep “the poor, sick and mentally disabled” from living in squalor on city streets.

If anything, it’s worse than they predicted in 1995. In the same way Detroit is even more of an abandoned hellscape than the original Robocop portrayed it. Or the way our culture is dumber than Mike Judge predicted it would be in Idiocracy. It’s enough to make you wish there was more actual fiction in your science fiction, because all too often the facts turn out to be pretty grim.

Quote:
"Europe is falling apart. Well at least we don't have to worry about that kind of thing here." "Don't count on it."

I think the article is overplaying the "similarities" between that episode's plot and the actual crisis in SF, but it is an very intriguing example of cross-section between modern media and the way the SF homelessness has been graphically documented in the public...

Last edited by Maru; 21-09-2018 at 07:05 AM.
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 03:55 AM #11
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Fecking Fail?

Got terrible reviews
Did it? I couldn't stomach another sub... despite the beautiful Michelle Yeoh ... probably doesn't help that Enterprise really sucked for me.
Old 21-09-2018, 08:19 AM #12
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru View Post
Did it? I couldn't stomach another sub... despite the beautiful Michelle Yeoh ... probably doesn't help that Enterprise really sucked for me.
Not really. 7.4 IMDB, 72% meta. Not great but not dire.

4.9/10 user reviews on meta BUT that mainly seems to be a tonne of 0's and 1's because the show doesn't stay entirely faithful to the established lore, which old time fans are seemingly very annoyed about. So I guess it depends how important that aspect is for you.

Sort of like when The 100's ratings hit the skids for a year because a lesbian character died (in a show where major characters die in half the episodes!) and the LGBT++ fanbase went nuts and downvoted every single episode .

I personally haven't watched the new Start Trek... in fact, the only Star Trek I've ever watched was "Voyager" which I for some reason (Janeway's shoulder pads) loved .

HOWEVER - I would totally watch a Star Trek reboot with Peter Dinklage as the captain.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 08:22 AM #13
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Quote:
Fecking Fail?

Got terrible reviews
what, i quite liked that first season, and i am already excited for season 2

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 10:00 AM #14
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

Quote:
Fecking Fail?

Got terrible reviews
the hdr picture quality/production was outstanding, but the content was absolutely dire. I forced myself to watch a couple of episodes and gave up
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 01:32 PM #15
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

The 1st season of Discovery was trouble because the original showrunner left halfway through, and as a result it ended up feel a little disconnected in places. Most Star Trek series have a bad first season

Let's not forget the absolute worst episode of Star Trek, Code of Honor...

or DS9's really odd hopscotch episode
Old 21-09-2018, 07:30 PM #16
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Not really. 7.4 IMDB, 72% meta. Not great but not dire.

4.9/10 user reviews on meta BUT that mainly seems to be a tonne of 0's and 1's because the show doesn't stay entirely faithful to the established lore, which old time fans are seemingly very annoyed about. So I guess it depends how important that aspect is for you.

Sort of like when The 100's ratings hit the skids for a year because a lesbian character died (in a show where major characters die in half the episodes!) and the LGBT++ fanbase went nuts and downvoted every single episode .
Ugh, of course that happened ... I remember when trolling used to actually involve some amount of thought and careful practice... Now anyone with basic internet skillz thinks they're an effective troll... and I don't even get me started on how we used to mod... *shakes cane*

I tend to ignore the scoring on metacritics, especially official reviews. I just go right for the longer user reviews and sort by truth bombs.

Quote:
I personally haven't watched the new Start Trek... in fact, the only Star Trek I've ever watched was "Voyager" which I for some reason (Janeway's shoulder pads) loved .

HOWEVER - I would totally watch a Star Trek reboot with Peter Dinklage as the captain.
heh heh... "Captain Dinklage"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia. View Post
The 1st season of Discovery was trouble because the original showrunner left halfway through, and as a result it ended up feel a little disconnected in places. Most Star Trek series have a bad first season

Let's not forget the absolute worst episode of Star Trek, Code of Honor...

or DS9's really odd hopscotch episode
Ugh... that stupid Alamarain girl... one of the only episodes I dislike from DS9 The first few seasons had a couple of bad ones... and DS9 in particular, I think it took a few seasons at least for the acting to really get to where it needed to be... a lot of 90's/pre-90's shows are like that and I tend to think we are quite spoiled by the quality of production that is out now... though I don't really mind the more awkward episodes... they have their unique charm I think and I don't need to be completely spoiled in that aspect... like early Simpsons/King of The Hill, Daria, most anime back then... Granted, Daria/KotH benefited from the polishing of earlier work from Mike Judge... and I think shows like Family Guy/Futurama had better early starts because of proven formulas like the Simpsons...

Last edited by Maru; 21-09-2018 at 07:31 PM.
Old 21-09-2018, 07:52 PM #17

Star Trek has always had social issues as a part of it.

DS9 is my favourite Star Trek. I never really got the episode 'Far Beyond the Stars' mentioned before though. I remember some reviewers sayign it was one of the best episodes.

I've watched the first half of Discovery. Maybe I didn't like it as much as I thought, that's why I haven't finished it yet.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
alive, breaking, dinklage, future, inside, news, peter, star, trek