Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 30-11-2018, 05:20 PM #1

Default Belgian police and ‘yellow jacket’ protesters clash in Brussels

The yellow jackets protests
first started in France
now it's in Brussels

Was just on Euronews

[Police and hundreds of so-called “yellow jackets” protesting against high taxes and living costs
have clashed in Brussels as the movement that started in France
two weeks ago gained traction in Belgium.
Police trucks fired tear gas and water cannons on protesters
who tried to approach government buildings and offices
in central Brussels and began throwing rocks and paving stones at the barricades.]

https://www.itv.com/news/2018-11-30/...h-in-brussels/

Last edited by arista; 30-11-2018 at 05:22 PM.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 09:20 PM #2
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Yeah, high living costs has become a problem across the world, in many metros. These kinds of protests will continue for some time I think.

The US, particularly where I am, high living costs is not as bad as the other metros, so we do very well on the whole. But... with blue moving into this area, I'm seriously concerned with taxation and if they will upend decades of stability. Of course, I fully expect some costs to go up, especially anything related to flood mitigation... like we should have a third reservoir by now... and we were very fortunate the original two didn't breach during Harvey. I attended a meeting not too long about the long-term effects on the climate change+flooding on a densely populated city... there are many homes here built on grade which is ridiculous for a city that is flat as a pancake surrounded and filled with varioous bayous and other bodies of water... it makes no sense.

So whatever the politics, many places in the Southern US may end up in the same boat (pun not intended) if we don't react to changes in the floodplain. I think in the end it will be one of the single largest threats to our budget/economy... so probably flood insurance will be required for most homeowners at some point. I already keep ins, but it's cheap for me where I am... but for most homes in the special flood zone, they are looking upwards to $2-4K a year... and that is with massive subsidization by the govt... it's amazing the FEMA program(s) haven't hit default yet but it is ballooning our deficit... I don't agree with CA, but TX particularly, coming with their hands out everytime there is a disaster, especially when the writing is clearly on the wall... the state/city cover their own costs, but that's because FEMA bails the homeowners out after the 3rd, 4th, 5th flood (flood insurance or not)... then the city gets funds every once in a blue moon to buy entire blocks, and in some cases neighborhoods, out... but we didn't have regulations for new construction until very recently, which was silly.

Moral hazards abound.

Last edited by Maru; 30-11-2018 at 09:22 PM.
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 09:45 PM #3

I just found out when reading about this, that it is mandatory, since 2008, to carry high-viz yellow jackets when travelling in a car in France.

Quote:
Hi Viz Vests

If you breakdown or heaven forbid are involved in an accident you will need to get out of the vehicle and stand at the roadside or on the hard-shoulder if on a motorway. The French authorities are very strict that people stood outside the vehicle on motorways especially are wearing "Hi Visibility" clothing such as a vest that fits over you clothing or a high viz jacket.

That's everyone you the driver and also all of your passengers. So if a family of four are travelling in the car then you should each have a hi viz. Also these need to be carried inside the cabin of the car not the boot so you can put it on before you get out, though in practical terms I presume most will be putting it on as they are getting out. However the police are strict and if they see you stood with the boot up rummaging round trying to find the vests under all your suitcases and beach balls they will very likely issue you with a fine.
https://www.drive-france.com/checklist/
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:11 AM #4
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I just found out when reading about this, that it is mandatory, since 2008, to carry high-viz yellow jackets when travelling in a car in France.

https://www.drive-france.com/checklist/
I'm not sure that's necessary, but if they're just fabric, then probably inexpensive to keep inside the glove compartment? Might be helpful if they have to walk a long distance on the side of a busy road to get help/parts(?)

We always just carried flares and a retractable cone in our vehicles.
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
belgian, brussels, clash, jacket’, police, protesters, ‘yellow