Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 24-07-2019, 11:44 AM #51
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Exactly Ammi it is one small factor in the story of, when looking into it, it seems a deeply disturbed and probably quite dangerous individual. Why the hyper-focus on self-ID as though that's the over-riding issue with this person? They are abusing and manipulating the system to selfish and worrying ends but the message people are keen to be taken from it, is that the problem is with the entire concept of self-ID, and not the individual. People abuse legal systems literally every day, and they require tweaking and adapting to try to ensure that there are fewer and fewer loopholes... it doesn't require a "baby out with the bathwater" rejection of the entire concept, because the risk is quite clearly in going too far the other way, i.e. the requirement of medical or psychiatric confirmation of identity. And anyone who thinks that is a good idea has far too much faith in those professions. Psychology is a complex, diverse and ever-changing discipline and there is literally no such thing as a beyond-question "expert". The idea that someone's personal identity would need that "confirmed by a professional" to be taken seriously, is not a very comfortable route to go down.
...I do think self ID has to be looked at closely to tighten up on loopholes and to protect females in that...any of those women could have refused to wax anyone for whatever reason...?...(...except if that reason is discriminatory, that’s when a refusal can’t happen obviously...)...and the law has upheld his side, that it was refused because of trans discrimination....
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 11:48 AM #52
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
yes, he clearly is, the worrying issue is that he is able to exploit the imbalance in existing systems to perpetuate his behaviour and be protected by those systems at the same time. The fact that a section of the population has that much power over others should be worrying to everyone

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 11:49 AM #53
Banned

Banned

I decided to google the story to see if I could find an article that covers the story without any bias towards or against transgenderism and I couldn't really find any articles. It seems like mainstream media hasn't really bothered with this story at all.

If the story is as it's reported then the person in question is indeed a predator and should be treated as such. They use the law to run their con and worse still, it seems like they might actually be a peadophile. It's kinda remarkable that this story hasn't been picked up by the media yet, with more spotlight the victims in this story might finally get their justice.

I do disagree with the headline of this article in particular though, while I agree with self ID'ing yourself as transgender shouldn't be something that can be enforced on others by law, I dislike how this article seems to use this pathetic excuse of a human being to **** on transgender rights as a whole.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 11:54 AM #54
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
This guy sounds like a pervert to me.
This was my first thought..he didn't want treatment he wanted titillation.
Old 24-07-2019, 11:57 AM #55
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..i haven’t listened to it all yet but there’s a vid here of around 25 minutes of the human rights tribunal...Yaniv compared the business owner who had refused the wax to a neo nazi...

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/event...roversy?full=1
Old 24-07-2019, 12:04 PM #56
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I decided to google the story to see if I could find an article that covers the story without any bias towards or against transgenderism and I couldn't really find any articles. It seems like mainstream media hasn't really bothered with this story at all.

If the story is as it's reported then the person in question is indeed a predator and should be treated as such. They use the law to run their con and worse still, it seems like they might actually be a peadophile. It's kinda remarkable that this story hasn't been picked up by the media yet, with more spotlight the victims in this story might finally get their justice.

I do disagree with the headline of this article in particular though, while I agree with self ID'ing yourself as transgender shouldn't be something that can be enforced on others by law, I dislike how this article seems to use this pathetic excuse of a human being to **** on transgender rights as a whole.
That's most of what I've been able to find, too; it's a case that's been picked up as a confirmation bias "poster child example" of something that was already being assumed to be a problem. A sort of "Aha! See! I *knew* it! Take that, nay-sayers!". Which frankly is exactly what happened on this thread too... on the first page, before anyone had said anything .

There also seems to be an issue of different reports about this individual not entirely matching up with each other, and a serious lack of overall information.

I think there's a real risk here of a case involving an extreme individual who would be doing **** like this regardless, being used as a realistic example of "what might happen" and honestly again I have to reiterate that the logic is absolutely no different to using an extremist attack to point at immigration and declare it problematic.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 12:09 PM #57
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Its so extreme that he would more likely be facing a charge now if he weren't calling himself a woman, rather than being entertained by people who are fearful of repercussions

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 12:13 PM #58
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...Ricky Gervais is speaking out about this individual ....and being labelled a transphobe by some for doing so...

https://kiwifarms.net/threads/ricky-...twitter.58756/

Last edited by Ammi; 24-07-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 24-07-2019, 12:13 PM #59
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...Ricky Gervais is speaking out about this individual ....

Old 24-07-2019, 12:14 PM #60
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Its so extreme that he would more likely be facing a charge now if he weren't calling himself a woman, rather than being entertained by people who are fearful of repercussions
That's right. And I don't think ridiculing and belittling women's concerns, questioning her motives when she's already explained will do anything to make self-ID more acceptable. It feels like men controlling women.... still.

Has there been any trouble, any trouble at all I wonder, with women self-identifying is a man? Has a man been prosecuted because a self-identified female to male has taken anything a step too far. No.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 12:15 PM #61
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...Ricky Gervais is speaking out about this individual ....

not KiwiFarms surely Ammi. Come on now.
Old 24-07-2019, 12:17 PM #62
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
not KiwiFarms surely Ammi. Come on now.
...(...honestly I don’t know what kiwifarms is, I’m just trying to see what I can find that would expand some of this story a bit more.....)...you kiwifarm phobic, you...
Old 24-07-2019, 12:20 PM #63
-

-

"Kiwi Farms, formerly known as CWCki Forums, is an American Internet forum dedicated to the ongoing harassment and stalking of online figures and communities it deems "lolcows": the eccentric, artistic, or mentally ill.[3] The targets of threads are often subject to doxing, sealioning and other forms of organized group trolling, including real-life harassment by users"
Old 24-07-2019, 12:25 PM #64
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
"Kiwi Farms, formerly known as CWCki Forums, is an American Internet forum dedicated to the ongoing harassment and stalking of online figures and communities it deems "lolcows": the eccentric, artistic, or mentally ill.[3] The targets of threads are often subject to doxing, sealioning and other forms of organized group trolling, including real-life harassment by users"
...oooops similar to the DM, then.....
Old 24-07-2019, 12:34 PM #65
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

I'd shave the guys balls for free, I have a nice rusty razor ready

Last edited by Kizzy; 24-07-2019 at 12:34 PM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 12:47 PM #66
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...I guess what’s being said, TS...is that within ‘self ID’ and within protecting females, there are problems...there are loopholes and things that have to be addressed ...because there are those who can and will abuse and manipulate etc...and even if that is the smallest of percentages...which it quite likely could be...?...it’s something that many women fear and those fears have to be voiced and they have to be able to be voiced without another layer of fear of being labelled phobic...?...it’s very complex as you know...
Old 24-07-2019, 01:20 PM #67
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
The point of the matter is these new laws leave the door open for people like Yaniv to abuse, so why should trans rights trump womens rights and put them at risk?

Serious question TS, do you really think this is all about me being anti trans? I've always been pretty feminist, it's much more logical to assume that I'm just worried about womens rights. I'm sure I could go back a few years and find posts supporting Trans people pre Self IDing, If i tried. It is disappointing that you would think that about me I have to say
I'm about here... live and let live I say. But when the rights of one start trampling the rights of another? No
Womens rights were hard fought and hard won...to suggest they now come a poor second to self ID? ... nah mate.
Old 24-07-2019, 01:21 PM #68
Mokka

Favourites (more):
BB19: Tomasz
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Mokka

Favourites (more):
BB19: Tomasz
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Quote:

I think the way these threads are brought up and presented do usually contain elements of literal transphobia, yes. You can disagree and dislike that opinion but I'm just calling it as I see it. And again I'm talking about literal phobia - I get that these things are legitimately rooted in fear not bigotry - but it's a fear that's often out of proportion with the actual level of risk. Extreme examples are used as if they are, or are ever likely to be, commonplace occurrences. Liek there being a predatory paedophile in Canada exploiting trans rights to their own ends means that it'll become a global free-for-all. It isn't rational.
Thank you TS for this post.
You've entered the post apocalyptic ruins of a site about a dead show, where every battle imaginable has already been fought a hundred times over. A cynical world of hardened arseholes where the mods have stopped caring, and the administrator is watching Tetris championships while the rest of us bicker in here.
Mokka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 01:32 PM #69
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

It's not phobic to be concerned about precidents being set in court that marginalise women ..which is what happened in Canada.
There is a very real concern that that could translate here too. Why is it transphobic to have this opinion?
This is why women can't speak out as they are automatically given this horrible label.

Last edited by Niamh.; 24-07-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 02:17 PM #70
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
I can accept that purely in the context of this thread, I may have gone in a little hard based on past experiences of these threads. Past threads on these topics have gone in a distinctly angry general anti-trans direction. I know there'll be people who will argue that they haven't, but for me that's not an opinion that's going to change.

I also can't agree that a thread about an obviously extreme example of a disturbed individual works well to support a general point. Does it mean things need to be looked at? Maybe, as a tiny fragment of a much broader discussion, but this is not the "Gotcha!!" moment that people want it to be. That would be like seeing a story about a dog attacking a child and announcing that "clearly" the regulations around dog ownership must be changed "and if you don't agree, you aren't considering the children".
But it is a gotcha moment. Not for trans people but in respect of the way courts handle these cases... its in Canada but it could just as easily be here. It's not in anyway phobic to voice a concern, being labelled phobic for having a say as a woman is wrong .
Old 24-07-2019, 02:29 PM #71
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
But it is a gotcha moment. Not for trans people but in respect of the way courts handle these cases... its in Canada but it could just as easily be here. It's not in anyway phobic to voice a concern, being labelled phobic for having a say as a woman is wrong .
"A Gotcha Moment" has no place in any rational debate or assessment of a situation though Kizzy. How many "gotcha moments" do Brexiteers and other anti-immigration advocates have, otherwise? Every terrorist incident involving an immigrant in the UK. Every drug crime committed by a Mexican immigrant in the US. "Gotcha gotcha gotcha!!" all day long from Trump, Hopkins, Tommy Robinson... right?

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 24-07-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 24-07-2019, 02:30 PM #72
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post

If you watch the video at the end of the article it's an actual interview with yaniv, so maybe that might be helpful? It is worrying though as to why a story like this hasn't been picked up by mainstream media imo

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 02:32 PM #73
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Exactly this is the whole issue, people are not allowed to speak about it for fear of backlash, look at what happened to martina Navratilova when she voiced her opinion on Self Iding in sport

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 02:33 PM #74
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
If you watch the video at the end of the article it's an actual interview with yaniv, so maybe that might be helpful? It is worrying though as to why a story like this hasn't been picked up by mainstream media imo
Perhaps it hasn't been picked up because they know that it won't simply be taken as a story about a seriously messed up individual, but as "Gotcha" ammunition for a wider campaign, and there will be associated backlash. Though I suppose it's odd in the sense that the MSM isn't usually bothered about spoonfeeding people gunpowder.
Old 24-07-2019, 02:44 PM #75
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...I’m just listening to the interview now...it feels as though he chooses people who he knows will refuse for whatever reason...with the sole purpose of challenging them../...tribunals../...and settlements...

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
attempting, canadian, coerce, legally, man, scrotum, wax, women