Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

The X Factor 2004-'08 [S1-5] Discussion of previous series (2004-2008) and the contestants. Winners were Steve Brookstein, Shayne Ward, Leona Lewis, Leon Jackson and Alexandra Burke.

Old 18-12-2007, 11:53 PM #1

Default 1,500 phone over Rhyd vote

Quote:
1,500 phone over Rhyd vote
MORE than 1,500 viewers had bombarded phone watchdogs Ofcom last night – claiming that the X Factor final was fixed.

The organisation has now launched an urgent inquiry into the allegation that people were unable to get through and vote for Welsh opera singer Rhydian Roberts, 25.

Rival Leon Jackson, 18, went on to win, getting ten per cent more of the vote – despite Rhydian being preshow favourite.

An Ofcom spokeswoman said: “We have now had more than 1,500 complaints from people who said they were not able to get through to vote for Rhydian. We are working to investigate the matter.”

Rhydian snubbed Monday night’s wrap party and has now fled to stay with pals in Oxford. One said last night: “He is devastated.”

The most senior politician in Wales, First Minister Rhodri Morgan, joined the row yesterday. He said: “I can confirm that I attempted to vote for Rhydian and couldn’t get through. Thousands had the same experience as me.”

But Leon’s furious mum Wendy, 40, from Whitburn, West Lothian, said: “It’s just sour grapes. I’ve had complete strangers stop me in the street and say they couldn’t get through to vote for my Leon.

One pal tried more than 300 times and failed every time. It’s not just Welsh folk who suffered.”

She was also furious after learning that Welsh radio stations had banned Leon’s new single When You Believe.

Telecoms boffins last night suggested the problem could have been caused by a simple overload of the phone system after so many of the 12.7million viewers attempted to vote.

One expert said: “The system may have shut down and it’s possible that when a line came free it went to the phone number with the lowest number.

As Leon’s line ended with 02 and Rhydian’s was 03 it may have put Leon’s calls through first.”

But ITV, hit by other phone vote scandals, said: “Leon won fair and square. As all numbers go through to the same vote platform it is impossible for there to be bias.”
Source: The Sun
Red Moon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-12-2007, 04:03 PM #2

But ITV, hit by other phone vote scandals, said: “Leon won fair and square. As all numbers go through to the same vote platform it is impossible for there to be bias.”

Its impossible they say,nothings impossible not after the phone scams.
Jackie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
500, phone, rhyd, vote