Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Love Island ITV2's reality show, Love Island, presented by Laura Whitmore.

View Poll Results: -
Yes 34 57.63%
Yes
34 57.63%
No 25 42.37%
No
25 42.37%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16-02-2020, 02:59 PM #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
Yes. A coincidence... sure.

What happened to sharing the love and being kind to others ..

I did say that I know nothing about the other two deaths .. I didn’t even watch Love Island back then .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zizu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 03:02 PM #77
-

-

I don't think it's the show itself but more the people who watch it and the platform they have to spew their poison.

Love Island Twitter has become a cesspool as the show's gotten bigger each year. Even when producers try to cast more diverse types, you have Fiat 500 being racist or body-shaming for clout. Leanne was being compared to a monkey as soon as her promo pics were released and people have been body-shaming Shaughna's legs the entire series.

The thing with Love Island is that social media plays a big part in its success compared to other reality shows. From the nightly twitter commentary to contestant post-show fame being mainly concentrated on Instagram so they're exposed to all the negativity.

It's why the show was better in its early series before it blew up and everyone started watching and tweeting about it.

I think the rot has set in for the show anyway. Suicide controversies aside, having two series a year will oversaturate the brand and this current winter series hasn't been that good, it's also the first where ratings have fallen. It's become a victim of its success like BB did.

Last edited by Jason.; 16-02-2020 at 03:04 PM.
Jason. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 03:15 PM #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
What happened to sharing the love and being kind to others ..

I did say that I know nothing about the other two deaths .. I didn’t even watch Love Island back then .

You're off on a tangent now pal.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 03:16 PM #79
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
BBUSA19: Cody
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):
BBUSA19: Cody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan. View Post
It becomes an issue when people are dying as a direct result of the show. As I said, lots of people kill themselves over stress, depression etc. Should we abolish schools because some students can’t cope with the pressure to succeed?
Schools (in America at least) with multiple instances of suicide absolutely do look inward and try to figure out how they can prevent another tragedy from happening again. It takes 1-2 deaths before people start to question what needs to change.
Old 16-02-2020, 06:10 PM #80

Favourites (more):
CBB22: Natalie Nunn
CBB21: Ginuwine

Favourites (more):

But the show needs to be axed I think because on that show they expect the contestants to be perfect and people get judged and treated like **** after the show which gives them depression so I do blame the show mostly then followed by the media because if it wasn’t for the show and how they come across the media wouldn’t do anything along with its television I can guarantee people that on that show the contestants are told what to do and how to act just to cause drama because if you think about it love island is a television reality show which lives off drama and the media do bullies them because of that also love island it comes across as you have to be super good looking and be a complete dick or bitch to find love
Owoaje1993 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 06:30 PM #81
Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Kim Woodburn

Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Kim Woodburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason. View Post
I don't think it's the show itself but more the people who watch it and the platform they have to spew their poison.

Love Island Twitter has become a cesspool as the show's gotten bigger each year. Even when producers try to cast more diverse types, you have Fiat 500 being racist or body-shaming for clout. Leanne was being compared to a monkey as soon as her promo pics were released and people have been body-shaming Shaughna's legs the entire series.

The thing with Love Island is that social media plays a big part in its success compared to other reality shows. From the nightly twitter commentary to contestant post-show fame being mainly concentrated on Instagram so they're exposed to all the negativity.

It's why the show was better in its early series before it blew up and everyone started watching and tweeting about it.

I think the rot has set in for the show anyway. Suicide controversies aside, having two series a year will oversaturate the brand and this current winter series hasn't been that good, it's also the first where ratings have fallen. It's become a victim of its success like BB did.
Great post.

The body shaming is horrific, if you look on twitter people were attacking Shaughna's legs and Jess 'lazy' eye heavily and Georgia Steels year that Alexandra Cane girl who was a bit curvy was getting called fat and a blob.

I understand people maybe having an opinion on say Jess's lips because they are enhanced and people will always have opinions on surgery and fillers but to attack someone for their leg proportions is soooo pathetic
Old 16-02-2020, 07:19 PM #82

Default Is it time to axe love island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owoaje1993 View Post
But the show needs to be axed I think because on that show they expect the contestants to be perfect and people get judged and treated like **** after the show which gives them depression so I do blame the show mostly then followed by the media because if it wasn’t for the show and how they come across the media wouldn’t do anything along with its television I can guarantee people that on that show the contestants are told what to do and how to act just to cause drama because if you think about it love island is a television reality show which lives off drama and the media do bullies them because of that also love island it comes across as you have to be super good looking and be a complete dick or bitch to find love

Your suggestion is a nonsense if only due to the fact that you don’t seem like or even watch the program ..

How about we cancel and ban your favourite program .. XFactor ?
She worked on the program and lost that plum job .. maybe that’s when he problems all started ??

Last edited by Zizu; 16-02-2020 at 07:21 PM.
Old 16-02-2020, 07:38 PM #83
Jemal

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard

Jemal

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard

If there wasn’t a winter series the recent events would have less to do with the show, not to say the reasoning has no connection to the show but it doesn’t help with a series currently airing
Gstar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 08:02 PM #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gstar View Post
If there wasn’t a winter series the recent events would have less to do with the show, not to say the reasoning has no connection to the show but it doesn’t help with a series currently airing

We don’t know though .. she was pleased her great friend Laura was hosting the show .. maybe it was a welcome distraction

Old 16-02-2020, 09:01 PM #85

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Your suggestion is a nonsense if only due to the fact that you don’t seem like or even watch the program ..

How about we cancel and ban your favourite program .. XFactor ?
She worked on the program and lost that plum job .. maybe that’s when he problems all started ??

No not really what I’m saying people on that show get body shamed Online people are supposed to look perfect in the media and it does bring down people’s confidence and the contestants who go on the show come across as egotistical who are chasing fame plus so many of these contestants get bullied online Which isn’t right and some of them are probably influenced by producers and are told what to do by them. Three people from the show have now died which is sad. Also from watching clips here and there I personally think the show messes with some of the contestants mental health. Also viewers need to understand that the contestants are human just like everybody else’ who genuinely have feelings and gets emotional. I think love island brings a bad idea to a younger generation on how they should look.

Last edited by Owoaje1993; 16-02-2020 at 09:01 PM.
Old 16-02-2020, 09:01 PM #86
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I like Laura but I think it's either naive of her or disingenuous of her to make out Love Island is an actual programme where people are genuinely looking to find love. In my opinion it's a fame seeking, narcissistic show and probably should be cancelled because it promotes the exact mentality that may have contributed to Caroline's death. RIP to her.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 09:09 PM #87
You know my methods

You know my methods

Spot on neem
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 09:10 PM #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
I like Laura but I think it's either naive of her or disingenuous of her to make out Love Island is an actual programme where people are genuinely looking to find love. In my opinion it's a fame seeking, narcissistic show and probably should be cancelled because it promotes the exact mentality that may have contributed to Caroline's death. RIP to her.

All that said .. it seems that you don’t watch , like nor comment on the Love Island series soooooo

Old 16-02-2020, 09:12 PM #89

Yeah, Niamh how DARE you have an opinion on the show without getting your permission slip signed first.
Old 16-02-2020, 09:13 PM #90

Quote:
No not really what I’m saying people on that show get body shamed Online people are supposed to look perfect in the media and it does bring down people’s confidence and the contestants who go on the show come across as egotistical who are chasing fame plus so many of these contestants get bullied online Which isn’t right and some of them are probably influenced by producers and are told what to do by them. Three people from the show have now died which is sad. Also from watching clips here and there I personally think the show messes with some of the contestants mental health. Also viewers need to understand that the contestants are human just like everybody else’ who genuinely have feelings and gets emotional. I think love island brings a bad idea to a younger generation on how they should look.

Oddly the most popular person on the show by a county mile was Shaunagh who has trust issues , lip filler and certainly doesn’t have a perfect body .. soooooo

Old 16-02-2020, 09:28 PM #91

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Oddly the most popular person on the show by a county mile was Shaunagh who has trust issues , lip filler and certainly doesn’t have a perfect body .. soooooo

People made fun of her though because of her legs granted she got some support but still trolls can really bring down somebody’s confidence

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.c...a-amor-callum/

Last edited by Owoaje1993; 16-02-2020 at 09:28 PM.
Old 16-02-2020, 09:42 PM #92

Quote:
People made fun of her though because of her legs granted she got some support but still trolls can really bring down somebody’s confidence

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.c...a-amor-callum/

If it was down to simply viewers voting though she’d have won easily .. think she’s the only LI contestant to reach 1 million followers..so the show will have boosted her confidence immeasurably .

Old 16-02-2020, 09:49 PM #93
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
All that said .. it seems that you don’t watch , like nor comment on the Love Island series soooooo

I've watched a couple of episodes here and there with my daughter, yes. So you're kind of right, I don't like it but I have watched it so it's as valid an opinion as yours I would argue

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Old 16-02-2020, 09:55 PM #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
I've watched a couple of episodes here and there with my daughter, yes. So you're kind of right, I don't like it but I have watched it so it's as valid an opinion as yours I would argue

Is it though if you’ve begrudgingly watched just a couple of episodes whilst I watched every single second ??

As mentioned above people like Shaunagh will come out of this feeling fabulous about herself

Old 16-02-2020, 09:59 PM #95

Quote:
Is it though if you’ve begrudgingly watched just a couple of episodes whilst I watched every single second ??

As mentioned above people like Shaunagh will come out of this feeling fabulous about herself

You can't expect her to watch every episode if she doesn't enjoy the show. That is ridiculous. Her opinion is not less valuable than yours and it's probably even more valuable because her opinion is the right one.

Last edited by Jessica.; 16-02-2020 at 10:00 PM.
Jessica. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 10:00 PM #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica. View Post
You can't expect her to watch every episode if she doesn't enjoy the show. That is ridiculous. Her opinion is just as valuable as yours and it's probably even more valuable because her opinion is the right one.
Old 16-02-2020, 10:08 PM #97

Quote:
You can't expect her to watch every episode if she doesn't enjoy the show. That is ridiculous. Her opinion is not less valuable than yours and it's probably even more valuable because her opinion is the right one.

In your opinion..

Again though you don’t appear to like the program , 23,000 posts yet you don’t post in the Love Island thread suggests you don’t watch it .. and yet have an extreme viewpoint .

Last edited by Zizu; 16-02-2020 at 10:13 PM.
Old 16-02-2020, 10:38 PM #98
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

With all due respect Zizu, liking a programme doesn't make it ethically correct, infact most times ethically incorrect makes it more popular

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by Niamh.; 16-02-2020 at 10:50 PM.
Old 16-02-2020, 10:43 PM #99

Quote:
In your opinion..

Again though you don’t appear to like the program , 23,000 posts yet you don’t post in the Love Island thread suggests you don’t watch it .. and yet have an extreme viewpoint .

This is why you shouldn't assume you know everything. Look what I am watching literally right now

Old 17-02-2020, 12:50 AM #100

Quote:
This is why you shouldn't assume you know everything. Look what I am watching literally right now

If you were even slightly interested in the program surely one of your 23,000 posts would have been in the Winter Love Island thread

Last edited by Zizu; 17-02-2020 at 12:53 AM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
axe, island, love, time