Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 19-02-2020, 12:09 PM #576
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesheriff443 View Post
Look actions get reactions.

She was in a dark place before the assault charge. It was probably all the final straw that broke camels back.

Her bf said to the operator she is trying to kill me, that is not someone who has been hit by accident.

Papers report the news and this was news, you can slag off the papers all you want but we was all on here discussing her life!!!!
Piecing together all of the latest stuff, it seems like she was out of control and lashing out - hurting herself and him in the process. In terms of severity I have to be honest and say I don't consider that an accident. Even if she didn't really intend to hurt him, lashing out / throwing things etc. and someone being hurt in the crossfire isn't just an accident. However, it does seem like the main reason he called the police was because he was worried that she was going to end up severely hurting herself, and despite being much bigger than her, he found that he couldn't stop her without getting hurt himself.

Ita a complicated situation really. Yes it seems like she was in a very dark place and that's what lead to the police incident - which was "the straw that broke the camels back" - but I do think that's exactly why there are lessons to be learned. Ant McPartlin's drink driving situation is similar. We (the public, and the press, which is all one according to LT, but that doesn't really matter) could do to be more considerate of people who, yes, have done "bad stuff" but who are clearly in a very dark place. We can point out that someone's actions are dangerous and unacceptable whilst still having empathy for that person,and that's what's missing from all of the reports and discussions. It's all spread out as light entertainment... Not as part of a wider discussion about the pressure people find themselves under. With celebrities especially... It often comes with this attitude of, "they're rich and famous, how can they be in a bad place, what a joke" when obviously, mental health has nothing at all to do with those things, and the press spotlight clearly can make things worse.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 12:10 PM #577
You know my methods

You know my methods

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn. View Post
In case we forget
No of course she wasn’t hounded by the press. The Scum deleting stories after her death is completely normal.[/QUOTE]

Just normal tabloid stories reporting on a celeb, you see them every single day and have done so long before you were born

here are a few

Last edited by LeatherTrumpet; 19-02-2020 at 12:12 PM.
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 12:12 PM #578

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazanne View Post
I think we all know someone who has taken their own life, I have known at least 3 and all chose to hang themselves , I could not imagine that dark place you have to be in to even contemplate that, it must be a awful way to go, but so many chose that way , is it really that quick ?
I was assuming Caroline overdosed, but yeah some hang themselves which is grim .
Old 19-02-2020, 12:14 PM #579
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Thing is Mock the press in the UK are highly regulated by the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO) and IMPRESS (Independent Monitor for the Press)

They are closely scrutinized.

But anyone can publish on Twitter and Facebook/Insta as they have no independant regulator and dont come under UK law

Thankfully this Government just announced that the UK government will give Ofcom new regulatory powers to police what is posted on the internet. The decision was made as part of a new “online harms“ plan that ministers say will protect people as they use the internet.
They're clearly not being scrutinized enough in that case.

It's a good policy to police Social Media to some extent as some people think that they can post whatever they like on there.

However we do need to be careful and not turn into a European version of China with the heavy Internet censorship as this is a potential slippery slope.

KRO!
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 12:14 PM #580
Adios

Adios

Quote:
No of course she wasn’t hounded by the press. The Scum deleting stories after her death is completely normal.
Just normal tabloid stories reporting on a celeb, you see them every single day and have done so long before you were born

here are a few

[/QUOTE]
I’m fully aware how the press works LT which is the issue itself.

“Stay away from people who act like a victim in a problem they created”
Glenn. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 12:15 PM #581
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

None of us know what really happened. Everything we're discussing is conjecture. The bottom line is that she was so damaged by the reaction to events that she killed herself. None of us can know the full reasons... we're only privy to unsubstantiated "news". It happened to George Michael... it happens to a lot of celebrities. How many more have to reach a place so hopeless that they feel there's no return?

The tabloid press in the UK make me ashamed.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 12:20 PM #582

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
No of course she wasn’t hounded by the press. The Scum deleting stories after her death is completely normal.

here are a few

[/QUOTE]

Going off topic for a second, but "Mom canes Head" did I read that right?

KRO!
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 12:24 PM #583
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

the tabloid press have been disgusting for decades. These papers provide the British readership with what they want, and they buy it. If there wasn't money in it, they wouldn't do it. The tabloids are a reflection of the british people, giving people what they want to read.

It is a free press, and long may it continue. The simple truth is that people can stop reading it ... they are not forced to
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 12:26 PM #584
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
the tabloid press have been disgusting for decades. These papers provide the British readership with what they want, and they buy it. If there wasn't money in it, they wouldn't do it. The tabloids are a reflection of the british people, giving people what they want to read.

It is a free press, and long may it continue. The simple truth is that people can stop reading it ... they are not forced to
simple truth
Old 19-02-2020, 12:27 PM #585
Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
CBB19: Kim Woodburn

Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldHeart View Post
I think she was more scared and worried about the trial & body cam footage , not everything is social media's fault.
But the press and social media is sadly where it would have ended up most likely and she was clearly being tortured by some, so much so she was reaching out to others for help.

Fathers for Justice were utterly disgusting towards her, the guy who runs their social media should be bloody ashamed of himself.
Old 19-02-2020, 12:35 PM #586

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazanne View Post
I think we all know someone who has taken their own life, I have known at least 3 and all chose to hang themselves , I could not imagine that dark place you have to be in to even contemplate that, it must be a awful way to go, but so many chose that way , is it really that quick ?

I don’t know of a single person to do that and I’m in my early 60’s ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zizu is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 12:36 PM #587
-

-

Quote:

"It's been going on for decades so it's fine, normal and something we just have to accept"

Can you actually explain that logic LT? This idea that something is OK "because it's been going on for ages" is a bit odd.

Even if you were trying to say that it's just human nature, which it may be a LITTLE bit, but there is a general concensus that the tabloid press is worse - and notably, is taken more seriously as an actual news source - in the UK than in any other country.

For example its not like the US doesn't have tabloid "journalism" / paparazzi etc... And yet, US celebrities seem to know (and warn each other frequently) about the UK press and to be careful and prepared.

They sensationalise, dramatise, exaggerate and outright lie CONSTANTLY to generate clicks and sales. They know that when they're called out on it they can issue a small "correction", or make a small payout. All just part of the business model. Doesn't matter if you lie to generate sales; you can just pay the person off under the table later and still make a profit. The whole thing is a shambles.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 12:40 PM #588
Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):

Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
"It's been going on for decades so it's fine, normal and something we just have to accept"

Can you actually explain that logic LT? This idea that something is OK "because it's been going on for ages" is a bit odd.

Even if you were trying to say that it's just human nature, which it may be a LITTLE bit, but there is a general concensus that the tabloid press is worse - and notably, is taken more seriously as an actual news source - in the UK than in any other country.

For example its not like the US doesn't have tabloid "journalism" / paparazzi etc... And yet, US celebrities seem to know (and warn each other frequently) about the UK press and to be careful and prepared.

They sensationalise, dramatise, exaggerate and outright lie CONSTANTLY to generate clicks and sales. They know that when they're called out on it they can issue a small "correction", or make a small payout. All just part of the business model. Doesn't matter if you lie to generate sales; you can just pay the person off under the table later and still make a profit. The whole thing is a shambles.

Just because something has been going on for years doesn't mean it is right. It's outright bullying, people profiting off of someone else's misery and it's sickening.
Old 19-02-2020, 12:41 PM #589
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

It IS sickening. Time for something to change.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 12:57 PM #590

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
I don’t know of a single person to do that and I’m in my early 60’s ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You're lucky then Zizu, hope you never experience that.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 01:54 PM #591
Banned

Banned

The UK is infamous for being atrocious when it comes to the press. Something has to change but I don't honestly think it will. This isn't the first death you could contribute to the culture of bullying and harasmment by the press and it probably won't be the last, sadly.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 02:33 PM #592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
The UK is infamous for being atrocious when it comes to the press. Something has to change but I don't honestly think it will. This isn't the first death you could contribute to the culture of bullying and harasmment by the press and it probably won't be the last, sadly.

Forget the Press
She was on TV News
and the Police released photos
all the blood.

At the time of the attack she went wild
Extreme Violence
it was shocking.
She was ashamed of herself

Her fella did not want it in Court?
But once Police are at the scene, its unstoppable.

Last edited by arista; 19-02-2020 at 03:42 PM.
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 03:40 PM #593

Quote:
Just normal tabloid stories reporting on a celeb
The Valentines card article was not reporting anything. It was tearing someone down for a laugh.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 04:06 PM #594
You know my methods

You know my methods

Tabloid journalists are often criticised for the stories they write, even by their industry peers, but to draw a link between credible, factual news reporting and suicide is unfair and unhelpful.

In fact suicide prevention charity Samaritans advises against suggesting that a single incident caused someone to take their own life.

Already journalists are facing online abuse over Flack’s death, with Mirror, Express and Star publisher Reach offering guidance to reporters, including offering to remove links to their Twitter accounts in bylines.

The abuse has prompted Reach group editor-in-chief Lloyd Embley to send a message to staff today defending its online coverage, saying there is “no evidence” it had been “irresponsible”.

“Unfortunately it seems that in the current climate some people are desperate to blame the mainstream media for everything that goes wrong,” he added.

A common mistake among non-journalists is to assume intention in a story. Often it is the simple reporting of interesting facts delivered “without fear or favour”, as the industry refrain goes.

The allegations against Flack were being pursued by the Crown Prosecution Service and details had already emerged in a court hearing ahead of a trial next month.

For a national newspaper not to report this would have been strange indeed

https://pressgazette.co.uk/journalis...loid-coverage/
Old 19-02-2020, 04:10 PM #595
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
The Valentines card article was not reporting anything. It was tearing someone down for a laugh.
Showing their spiteful cruelty in the process.

Hateful people
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 04:11 PM #596

Quote:
but to draw a link between credible, factual news reporting and suicide is unfair and unhelpful.
Nobody has done that.

The Sun is not factual or credible.

Last edited by Marsh.; 19-02-2020 at 04:11 PM.
Old 19-02-2020, 04:12 PM #597

In fact, the definition of "tabloid" makes them the opposite of factual and credible.
Old 19-02-2020, 04:14 PM #598
You know my methods

You know my methods

"I think people blaming the press, dog-piling on to journalists, is lazy, it's wrong, it's naive," Ms Robertson said, "calling journalists murderers, saying they've got blood on their hands... it's not only hypocritical, two wrongs do not make a right."

"Caroline was a pro in the sense of celebrity, she recognised the need for press," she said, "not only that, but many editors and journalists were her friends. She'd go to lunch, she'd go to dinners with them, she knew that they had jobs to do.

"They protected her, there are things that the public will never ever ever hear because they kept it out of the media because they liked Caroline.

"I just think it's hypocritical for people to attack those very people who - some of them were friends with Caroline," she said, "it's not the media's fault Caroline was sadly, very sadly, suicidal and depressed."

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presente...-medias-fault/
Old 19-02-2020, 04:18 PM #599

"Showbiz" reporter Sarah Robertson said.

Old 19-02-2020, 04:26 PM #600

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Can we just stop a minute,Did anyone know she could sing ?

I thought this was lovely.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
40, age, breaking, caroline, dead, flack, found