Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-03-2020, 10:10 PM   #76
Toy Soldier
Kung Fu Faster
 
Toy Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: ➜
Posts: 20,903
Blog Entries: 1


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
I just don't get these stats for the UK..
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Why Is the recovery figure so low and why are they saying only 163 people are critical if over 200 are dying a day?
Looks like (extremely, almost nonexistent) reporting of recoveries.
__________________
___________________________________
Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves
And burn your fingers once again

Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 10:13 PM   #77
thesheriff443
thesheriff443
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 9,250


Default

Just to put deaths in some kind of perspective 9.6 million people died of cancer world wide in 2018 .
thesheriff443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 10:16 PM   #78
Toy Soldier
Kung Fu Faster
 
Toy Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: ➜
Posts: 20,903
Blog Entries: 1


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
Is it a comfortable death?
Depends on if you get hospital treatment. If you die on ventilator you most likely won't even know anything about it. If you can't access treatment/sedation I imagine it's not the most pleasant (breathing difficulties) but that said, respiratory and cardiovascular failure is one of the most common causes of "old age" death and always has been, so not really any different a death than a lot of people get.

I suppose the harsh truth is, unless you're under sedation there aren't many comfortable deaths. The image we like to have of old people slipping away in their sleep is sadly not that common. Both of my parents worked in elderly care (my mum was a ward sister in a private care home, my dad was a specialist dementia nurse) and weren't shy about telling me that most people aren't that lucky. When my own mum died she was filled to the eyeballs with morphine and sedation, which I'm quite thankful for.

So I guess the answer is, if you're sedated on ventilator it's a better death than most.

Sorry for the grim post .
__________________
___________________________________
Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves
And burn your fingers once again

Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 10:18 PM   #79
Kizzy
Cool mom
 
Kizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 39,610


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesheriff443 View Post
Just to put deaths in some kind of perspective 9.6 million people died of cancer world wide in 2018 .
It doesn't put anything in perspective. .but just so you have some perspective we knew cancer existed, untill 6 weeks ago we didn't know this existed.
__________________
Kizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 10:19 PM   #80
thesheriff443
thesheriff443
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 9,250


Default

World health Organisation estimates 137,000 people die world wide from snake bites each year but the figures could be higher.
thesheriff443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 10:21 PM   #81
thesheriff443
thesheriff443
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 9,250


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
It doesn't put anything in perspective. .but just so you have some perspective we knew cancer existed, untill 6 weeks ago we didn't know this existed.
You didnít know the thousands being killed by flu each year.

Itís just something else to kill humans.
thesheriff443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 10:26 PM   #82
The Slim Reaper
Bastion of invincibility
 
The Slim Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: In MS Paint on your desktop
Posts: 3,900
Default

Good job I'm isolating from cancer then.
__________________
The Slim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 10:28 PM   #83
Toy Soldier
Kung Fu Faster
 
Toy Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: ➜
Posts: 20,903
Blog Entries: 1


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
Good job I'm isolating from cancer then.
By staying away from passive smoke
__________________
___________________________________
Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves
And burn your fingers once again

Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 10:28 PM   #84
thesheriff443
thesheriff443
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 9,250


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
Good job I'm isolating from cancer then.
It wonít help you, we are all born with cancer cells And if they mutat then you get cancer.
thesheriff443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 10:35 PM   #85
Zizu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,898
Default

This Welsh guy ( working in China at the time ) had Cov19 back last NOVEMBER !
First symptoms started November ..


https://news.sky.com/story/amp/fight...rdeal-11950631
Zizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 10:38 PM   #86
Toy Soldier
Kung Fu Faster
 
Toy Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: ➜
Posts: 20,903
Blog Entries: 1


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesheriff443 View Post
It wonít help you, we are all born with cancer cells And if they mutat then you get cancer.
Someone needs to cobble together Tibb's guide to health and the human body. A rollicking parody of made up nonsense.

Cancer is a mutation of normal cells. Obviously, everyone is born with normal cells. The risk of mutation increases with age, and from exposure to radiation or carcinogens,but can also happen more or less at random. There's a genetic element to the risk of SOME cancers.

You are not born with specific cancer cells waiting to pop.

Interestingly though, cancer stats in humans are "artificially" higher than in most other species, because humans have a natural lifespan of 40-60 years. For 99% of human evolution you had absolutely no chance of reaching 60+, when most cancers occur. Cells start mutating at an increasing pace the further you get past 60 because in the natural world you'd be long dead... .
__________________
___________________________________
Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves
And burn your fingers once again

Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 10:39 PM   #87
Zizu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,898
Default

This Welsh guy ( working in China at the time ) had Cov19 back last NOVEMBER !
First symptoms started November ..


https://news.sky.com/story/amp/fight...rdeal-11950631


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 10:39 PM   #88
Kizzy
Cool mom
 
Kizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 39,610


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesheriff443 View Post
You didnít know the thousands being killed by flu each year.

Itís just something else to kill humans.
Of course I was aware that flu kills.. lots of things kill but this is a new thing, you can't expect people and governments not to act and react?
It's a nightmare scenario like an invisible monster just snatching your nana out of her chair! We have to do all we can to trap it and contain it.
__________________
Kizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 10:41 PM   #89
The Slim Reaper
Bastion of invincibility
 
The Slim Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: In MS Paint on your desktop
Posts: 3,900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesheriff443 View Post
It wonít help you, we are all born with cancer cells And if they mutat then you get cancer.
That's not true though. No one is born with "cancer cells" unless you are unlucky enough to be born with cancer (not even sure if that's possible but I assume it is). Cells turn cancerous, they are not cancer cells.
__________________
The Slim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 10:43 PM   #90
Toy Soldier
Kung Fu Faster
 
Toy Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: ➜
Posts: 20,903
Blog Entries: 1


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
This Welsh guy ( working in China at the time ) had Cov19 back last NOVEMBER !
First symptoms started November ..


https://news.sky.com/story/amp/fight...rdeal-11950631
It's possible, but totally unverified. They can't possibly know he had it because there was no test for it; it's possible that he did have flu followed by post-viral pneumonia. They've decided he might have had it based on the symptoms he had, not from a verified test.

However there is a semi-conspiracy that it existed in China months before the supposed initial outbreak. But its entirely anecdotal, there's no hard evidence of it.
__________________
___________________________________
Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves
And burn your fingers once again

Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:53 AM   #91
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 101,355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
They should have him in dictionaries as an example of the figurative use of the word c u n t

No Trump is the Legit President
even today


Can they have a Election in November?
arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:34 AM   #92
Zizu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,898
Default

Teenagers are dying now ... all with no underlying health issues !!

Even more worrying is that Iíve just heard a top medical bod speaking on LBC radio saying that itís crucial that we all understand that even when youíve HAD it ( and survived ) then there is not one thread of evidence to guarantee that you are safe from getting it AGAIN !!
You MAY be immune , you may get another mild dose or you may GET really , really poorly (and even die !)

... we just donít know for sure yet !!



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:39 AM   #93
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 101,355
Default

"Teenagers are dying now ... all with no underlying health issues !!"

Of course a very young 13 year old
mat not be strong enough , yet.

It's not a shock to me

Last edited by arista; 01-04-2020 at 07:40 AM.
arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:03 AM   #94
parmnion
What!
 
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ESSEX via scotland
Posts: 28,538

Favourites:
BB18: Deborah
CBB18: Heavy D
BB17: Hughie
BB4: Cameron


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Depends on if you get hospital treatment. If you die on ventilator you most likely won't even know anything about it. If you can't access treatment/sedation I imagine it's not the most pleasant (breathing difficulties) but that said, respiratory and cardiovascular failure is one of the most common causes of "old age" death and always has been, so not really any different a death than a lot of people get.

I suppose the harsh truth is, unless you're under sedation there aren't many comfortable deaths. The image we like to have of old people slipping away in their sleep is sadly not that common. Both of my parents worked in elderly care (my mum was a ward sister in a private care home, my dad was a specialist dementia nurse) and weren't shy about telling me that most people aren't that lucky. When my own mum died she was filled to the eyeballs with morphine and sedation, which I'm quite thankful for.

So I guess the answer is, if you're sedated on ventilator it's a better death than most.

Sorry for the grim post .


Thanks, that's a weight off my mind.
__________________
--------------

https://www.facebook.com/10000040377...3B2T3&d=n&vh=i
parmnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:54 AM   #95
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 101,355
Default

A new report on SkyNewsHD
Adam Boulton 9:10AM
From Italy.

The Hospital Staff have Gas masks on
So eyes are protected.
The Young and Old being saved, some though do die
Gun Armed Security on all connecting wards.

Now Finally
Italy has not lost any staff
in that Clever Hospital.




Over
12,000 Deaths in Italy.

Last edited by arista; 01-04-2020 at 09:55 AM.
arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:23 AM   #96
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 101,355
Default



2 days ago
arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:28 AM   #97
Toy Soldier
Kung Fu Faster
 
Toy Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: ➜
Posts: 20,903
Blog Entries: 1


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
Teenagers are dying now ... all with no underlying health issues !!

Even more worrying is that Iíve just heard a top medical bod speaking on LBC radio saying that itís crucial that we all understand that even when youíve HAD it ( and survived ) then there is not one thread of evidence to guarantee that you are safe from getting it AGAIN !!
You MAY be immune , you may get another mild dose or you may GET really , really poorly (and even die !)

... we just donít know for sure yet !!



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
So LBC a few days ago apparently reported that you can't get cold flu in summer so if you're ill in April it must be Covid (a flat out lie), and is row reporting that there's no evidence of immunity in recovered patients (also totally false)? I think they're fudging their reporting to keep people from breaking lockdown, if I'm being totally honest.

There's no such thing as 100% immunity from any disease. It's exceptionally rare to catch chicken pox twice - but not impossible. It's rare to get measles after being infected or vaccinated - but not impossible (in fact 3 in every 100 are not immune after vaccination). That's the same with this but "some people get it twice" isn't "not a thread of evidence that you get immunity". There are over 100,000 recovered now and absolutely tonnes of evidence - both anecdotal and medical - that recovered patients have a level of immunity. There's a possibility if it becomes "seasonal" that you could get it again the next time it emerges, but that has nothing to do with the current outbreak.

I've never listened to LBC but I've now heard multiple examples of them reporting some really dubious stuff that doesn't reflect the actual, reputable and extremely reliable work being done by universities and researchers. Not sure what's going on there.

In terms of teenage deaths, this isn't a new revelation, we've known since mid February from data in China that the only "seems almost totally safe" age bracket is 0-9. The risk of death at 10-19 is VERY, VERY SMALL but it isn't zero so as the total number of deaths increases, sadly, yes we are going to see a very small number of people in that age category dying. It doesn't mean something has changed and we're suddenly going to see huge numbers. It just means that the risk isn't zero - which we already knew.

Also be wary if reporting "died of Covid with no underlying health conditions". Autopsies have not been done so we have no idea of the cause of death, OR if there was an underlying health condition. Twice in the last week we've had front-page reports of young people dying and it's later emerged that they didn't even die of Covid. And on several occasions its been discovered that people with no recorded health problems did in fact have a health condition.

It MAY be that this tragic example is exactly as reported, because as I said, although the risk is very, very low it isn't zero, so as more people become infected these very rare examples will start to emerge. There are, in theory, potentially hundreds of thousands of cases in the UK at this point (and some suggest more).
__________________
___________________________________
Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves
And burn your fingers once again

Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:31 AM   #98
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 101,355
Default

" LBC a few days ago apparently reported"


No
thats just some caller
NOT LBC
arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:32 AM   #99
Toy Soldier
Kung Fu Faster
 
Toy Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: ➜
Posts: 20,903
Blog Entries: 1


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
" LBC a few days ago apparently reported"


No
thats just some caller
NOT LBC
LT told me it was a doctor who was "adamant about the science" of not being able to get a cold in summer. It certainly makes more sense if it was just a caller pretending to be a doctor because it's an utterly ludicrous claim.
__________________
___________________________________
Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves
And burn your fingers once again

Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:33 AM   #100
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 101,355
Default

If a NHS caller speaks Live to the Press
they are told they will be Fired.

Home births are being cancelled
but some women are Terrified to go to Hospital.
arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
000, 20, covid, deaths, good, government, result

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:32 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
no new posts