Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:04 AM #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Well done Piers on GMBHD itv
Laying in Live at 7:48AM

to the Scottish Leader Women
Edinburgh Live (Weak Picture Web Cam)
Yes Arista she looked like she was relieved it was over at the end of it !
hijaxers is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:13 AM #27
Marc

Favourites (more):
BB10: Marcus
BB6: Science

Marc

Favourites (more):

I don't know if I'm being naive, but whilst this is clearly hypocritical of her, I don't see the huge deal?

If she went there with just her family (who she lives with) then surely they are not putting anyone at risk?
Babayaro. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:18 AM #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babayaro. View Post
I don't know if I'm being naive, but whilst this is clearly hypocritical of her, I don't see the huge deal?

If she went there with just her family (who she lives with) then surely they are not putting anyone at risk?
Its because it goes against the essential travel narrative. They have said visiting holiday homes, caravans etc is not essential.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:19 AM #29
Marc

Favourites (more):

Marc

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
Its because it goes against the essential travel narrative. They have said visiting holiday homes, caravans etc is not essential.
Ah okay, I see. Thank you

Still, I don't think it warrants her losing her job.
Babayaro. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:21 AM #30
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Ah okay, I see. Thank you

Still, I don't think it warrants her losing her job.
it does when she is on TV every day telling people not to do that, and it wasn't a one time thing either, she did it every weekend
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:45 AM #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post

Simply as unnecessary travelling can result in accidents and breakdowns which put further unnecessary strains on the services

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zizu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:41 AM #32
-

-

It's a shame that Charles will have to resign from the Royal Family and abdicate the throne to William when the queen dies, as he ****ed off up here to Balmoral after the advice not to go to holiday homes... and dripping with Covid-19.

Oh wait, what? What's that? We don't apply the same rules in that case? I am most SHOCKED.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:14 AM #33
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
It's a shame that Charles will have to resign from the Royal Family and abdicate the throne to William when the queen dies, as he ****ed off up here to Balmoral after the advice not to go to holiday homes... and dripping with Covid-19.

Oh wait, what? What's that? We don't apply the same rules in that case? I am most SHOCKED.
I didn't know this where was he when he was diagnosed with Covid?

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:23 AM #34
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
I didn't know this where was he when he was diagnosed with Covid?
I think he was already there when he was diagnosed, he didn't travel there already ill or anything, but it was definitely after the advice not to go to holiday homes had been released (because we had already cancelled our pre-booked holiday in the highlands). And the fact that he came down with Covid while he was there and probably did have it before he travelled is exactly WHY you're not supposed to travel even if well. There's a very good chance he infected at least some of the Balmoral staff .

But no one has had more than a passing word to say about that, whereas the CMO going to her holiday house has had her branded a selfish demon and forced to resign. I'm actually not even saying she didn't make a stupid decision or didn't deserve to be chastised for it... I'm just wondering why Charlie gets a pass. Well, I'm not wondering why, really we all know why (he's first-tier royalty, and he's male) ... I'm just irked by it.

Imagine it was Meghan Markle
Old 06-04-2020, 11:48 AM #35
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
I think he was already there when he was diagnosed, he didn't travel there already ill or anything, but it was definitely after the advice not to go to holiday homes had been released (because we had already cancelled our pre-booked holiday in the highlands). And the fact that he came down with Covid while he was there and probably did have it before he travelled is exactly WHY you're not supposed to travel even if well. There's a very good chance he infected at least some of the Balmoral staff .

But no one has had more than a passing word to say about that, whereas the CMO going to her holiday house has had her branded a selfish demon and forced to resign. I'm actually not even saying she didn't make a stupid decision or didn't deserve to be chastised for it... I'm just wondering why Charlie gets a pass. Well, I'm not wondering why, really we all know why (he's first-tier royalty, and he's male) ... I'm just irked by it.

Imagine it was Meghan Markle
Charles wasn't the face of a TV advertising campaign saying not to travel, Charles doesn't stand up every day dictating the future strategy the country should take with regard to health.

Agreed he shouldn't have travelled, but they are completely different scenarios
Old 06-04-2020, 11:56 AM #36
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
Charles wasn't the face of a TV advertising campaign saying not to travel, Charles doesn't stand up every day dictating the future strategy the country should take with regard to health.

Agreed he shouldn't have travelled, but they are completely different scenarios
He's the direct heir to the throne and one of the most publicly visible people in the entire country... how many people (even in Scotland) can honestly claim they had any idea who Catherine Calderwood was before this story broke?

I agree that the hypocrisy adds another element and it's a very different situation, but I don't think one is necessarily worse than the other. We are CONSTANTLY being told that the Royals are, or are supposed to be, role models for the public and that's part of why it's important that we keep them around at all, and why it's important to keep "undesireables" out of the line up, and yet here we have the future king (maybe, I reckon Liz might outlive him) blatantly disregarding the advice. How can you expect people to see that and not question why they're not allowed to do the same?
Old 06-04-2020, 12:10 PM #37
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
He's the direct heir to the throne and one of the most publicly visible people in the entire country... how many people (even in Scotland) can honestly claim they had any idea who Catherine Calderwood was before this story broke?

I agree that the hypocrisy adds another element and it's a very different situation, but I don't think one is necessarily worse than the other. We are CONSTANTLY being told that the Royals are, or are supposed to be, role models for the public and that's part of why it's important that we keep them around at all, and why it's important to keep "undesireables" out of the line up, and yet here we have the future king (maybe, I reckon Liz might outlive him) blatantly disregarding the advice. How can you expect people to see that and not question why they're not allowed to do the same?

Yes there shouldn't be one rule for one

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:15 PM #38

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):

Inept leadership.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:54 PM #39
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Can someone from Scotland tell us how visible she's generally been in regards to telling people to stay in, etc?

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:01 PM #40

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Bayleigh
Survivor 40: Parvati

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Bayleigh
Survivor 40: Parvati

A wrongdoing, sure, but this definitely DOES NOT warrant her losing her job. This was such a minor bending of the rules that I can't even believe it made the news to begin with. This is another typical witch hunt case where people project fake outrage in order to cause harm/comeuppance to someone else. Now she's been strong-armed into stepping down from a position she'll have worked her entire life for. A huge shame!

The people who were "outraged" will have forgotten about this in 5 minutes and moved on with their lives. Unfortunately, she'll have to face long term consequences as a result of this fleeting anger.
Jigs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:04 PM #41
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
Can someone from Scotland tell us how visible she's generally been in regards to telling people to stay in, etc?
Not very, it's an advisory position taken by trained medics (she is a doctor), most of the political messages have come directly from Wee Nic. She is/was a direct advisor to the first minister, though.

Having to replace the CMO in the middle of this is an absolute disaster to be honest, and is why she wasn't going to be fired, but the press heat has given no choice but resignation.

It should have been a grovelling apology now, and resignation when things have started to quieten down. Now they need to appoint a new CMO and that person has to take the time to get up to speed, and will still be lacking a lot of vital experience even when they are up to speed. It's going to slow things down and cause more confusion. Total mess. But people need their pound of flesh.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 06-04-2020 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:04 PM #42
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Old 06-04-2020, 01:05 PM #43
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:

She is coming from a city area to a small rural community, and her family, increasing infection risk there massively. It's beyond recklass
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:08 PM #44
You know my methods

You know my methods

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigs View Post
A wrongdoing, sure, but this definitely DOES NOT warrant her losing her job. This was such a minor bending of the rules that I can't even believe it made the news to begin with. This is another typical witch hunt case where people project fake outrage in order to cause harm/comeuppance to someone else. Now she's been strong-armed into stepping down from a position she'll have worked her entire life for. A huge shame!

The people who were "outraged" will have forgotten about this in 5 minutes and moved on with their lives. Unfortunately, she'll have to face long term consequences as a result of this fleeting anger.
Deliberate and calculated flouting of the rules twice set by the Scottish government in order to save lives.
Is not a minor offence by the country s leading medical officer ffs
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:09 PM #45
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
Does that advert run along? Down here there's one with a man I've not heard of which comes on nearly every break.

Quote:
Not very, it's an advisory position taken by trained medics (she is a doctor), most of the political messages have come directly from Wee Nic. She is/was a direct advisor to the first minister, though.

Having to replace the CMO in the middle of this is an absolute disaster to be honest, and is why she wasn't going to be fired, but the press heat has given no choice but resignation.

It should have been a grovelling apology now, and resignation when things have started to quieten down. Now they need to appoint a new CMO and that person has to take the time to get up to speed, and will still be lacking a lot of vital experience even when they are up to speed. It's going to slow things down and cause more confusion. Total mess. But people need their pound of flesh.
I'm always against "trial by public", I too think it should have been abject apology.

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:12 PM #46
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
She is coming from a city area to a small rural community, and her family, increasing infection risk there massively. It's beyond recklass
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Deliberate and calculated flouting of the rules twice set by the Scottish government in order to save lives.
Is not a minor offence by the country s leading medical officer ffs
I don't disagree that her long-term viability for the position was trashed, but like I said the sensible option would have been to apologise now - do her job quietly for the time being - and then leave the role afterwards. Appointing a new CMO in the middle of a pandemic is a disaster.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:16 PM #47

Quote:

They reported that she’d been on stage each day by the side of misery/guts Sturgeon.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:17 PM #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigs View Post

How is it a MINOR bending of the rules ?

Old 06-04-2020, 01:27 PM #49
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
They reported that she’d been on stage each day by the side of misery/guts Sturgeon.

Excuse me Our Nic is a rough diamond.

Old 25-05-2020, 12:47 PM #50

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by hijaxers View Post
Nicola sees fit to keep her ~ she may live to regret that decision .
What's she saying about this latest thing?
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
breaking, fire, health, minister, rules, scottish