Site Navigation

Notices

RuPaul’s Drag Race Discuss RPDR here.

Old 11-04-2020, 02:26 PM #26
Nah

Nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis111 View Post
^I agree with the fact that doing flips and tricks doesn't always equal a good lipsync and that Widow maybe did a little too much - but it's not like Gigi delivered a hilarious never seen before lip-sync herself. She made a couple silly faces and shook about a little

But I do agree a proper funny and clever lip-sync tends to be better than a flip and splits one
And Ru acting so surprised/shocked everytime he sees it as if it's the first time
Captain.Remy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 02:29 PM #27
ॐ❤✌❤ॐ❤☯❤ॐ❤✌❤ॐ

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard

ॐ❤✌❤ॐ❤☯❤ॐ❤✌❤ॐ

Favourites (more):

we all know Sherry is lowkey killing the competition

Spoiler:

Saph is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 02:43 PM #28

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Bayleigh
Survivor 40: Parvati

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain.Remy View Post
I agree with Widow deserving the first lipsync, and Gigi did rather good tbh

BUT
I am bit over the splits, drops, and all those stuff because overusing takes away the essence of a lipsync. A lot of queens think this is the way to go, and do that on songs that don't require any. (oh hey Brooke during the finale) Sometimes, a good lipsync is knowing your words and adding comedy and drama, not splitting your god damn knee open.

I mean, it's not just Widow, last year Brooke and Ivy were doing way too much for Sorry Not Sorry. And Widow was overusing it in the challenge and lipsync combined. Not taking any of her talent away though. Some people like to enjoy lipsyncs without all of that constantly.
TEA! Brooke and Yvie's double shantay was deserved but the lipsync was not as good as people made out. 1,000 kicks, spins and flips does not make a good lipsync!

Best lipsync performance ever is Trinity K. Bonet's "What A Man" because she conveyed the essence of the song so perfectly and there was not a death drop in sight!
Jigs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 03:40 PM #29
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

Are we on crazy pills or something? The first lipsync was Starships. Name a crazier and more appropriate song for a queen to go absolutely ballistic with tricks.

It was ridiculous for 'Sorry Not Sorry', yeah, and most of the finale performances... but for week one and nothing to lose, showboating is more than fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Last edited by Shaun; 11-04-2020 at 03:41 PM.
Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 03:47 PM #30
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

I find it boring when it’s just trick and trick after trick, do it at a beat drop or when it’s thematically appropriate in the song, constantly is so monotonous and takes away from actual gag worthy splits/tricks
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 04:56 PM #31
like the boys

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Minh-Ly
Survivor 40: Michele

like the boys

Favourites (more):

My, the jump cut from Jan saying "I haven't won any challenges but I'm not crying about it" to a montage of her bawling her eyes out in the next time trailer was hateful

Spoiler:

MB. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 04:57 PM #32
like the boys

Favourites (more):

like the boys

Favourites (more):

Also, I'm still trying to work out the logic behind the claim I just read in this thread that the Kardashian rusical was one of the best there's ever been

Spoiler:

Old 11-04-2020, 05:49 PM #33
Nah

Nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Are we on crazy pills or something? The first lipsync was Starships. Name a crazier and more appropriate song for a queen to go absolutely ballistic with tricks.

It was ridiculous for 'Sorry Not Sorry', yeah, and most of the finale performances... but for week one and nothing to lose, showboating is more than fair.
Again, one or two is fine, but a whole lipsync filled with it isn't as impressive as doing a few to have a bigger impact. Even Nicky Minaj and Carlson were like "oh no wtf" (not in a bad bad way, but still). Now some people and a lot of Twitter gays who know nothing about drag shows think that a lipsync is bad if you don't split, drop kick or whatever, and it's not a good look.

Gigi didn't do any and yet she still managed to give another aspect and a funny one at that.

That being said, Widow deserved that first win for the challenge and how much effort she put into the lipsync (God bless her she busted her knee open, at least that shows commitment).
Captain.Remy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:47 PM #34
Too glam to give a damn

Too glam to give a damn

I agree the standard this season is high but it's unfortunate that it's being dominated by a queen who's been disqualified (and therefore has no edit) and a queen who isn't likeable. Personally, I think Gigi is worse than Aquaria and Yvie in terms of how arrogant she is. Her attitude towards Heidi in Untucked last week was ****ty and unnecessary, and she's starting to become overpraised. The fact we know her only threat (thus far) isn't going to win makes it boring to endure, and the edit/episodes are suffering as a result.

Widow was an absolute hoot this episode, I love that she was gunning for Jackie and called out the others for kicking queens while they're down. I felt sorry for Jan even though I haven't been a vocal supporter. She deserved the win and it's so weird how obsessed the show is with creating a coasting story-line for her. It just seems like the're bating her into a bad reaction.

As for the others, Crystal is remains my favourite. She's adorable. I like Jaida, yo-yo with Jackie but ultimately indifferent (her make-up was weird for both her Madonna and Michelle looks this ep)...and I think that's it? Other than Brita, who I actually felt sorry for this episode. Oh, and Heidi who was already mentioned but ...what is the state of your life if you don't like Heidi, tbh?

Last edited by Braden; 11-04-2020 at 09:02 PM.
Braden is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:13 AM #35
Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 6: Siannise

Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):

I think Gigi's win is becoming so obvious because her main competition would've been Sherry Pie but now she's been edited out... yeah.

I really enjoyed this ep, I enjoyed all of the girl's performances bar Brita's I nearly fell asleep. She thinks she's the queen of NYC she probably just has some fans at the club she performs at, nothing special.
Wizard. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:15 AM #36
Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):

Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB. View Post
My, the jump cut from Jan saying "I haven't won any challenges but I'm not crying about it" to a montage of her bawling her eyes out in the next time trailer was hateful
I screamed
Wizard. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:41 AM #37
like the boys

Favourites (more):

like the boys

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard. View Post
I screamed
See also: a queen, I believe Jan (as Madonna) singing "my mum died when I was five" and Ru's immediate reaction being "I love it! "

Spoiler:

Last edited by MB.; 12-04-2020 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-04-2020, 04:22 AM #38
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

Just watched the episode.

It was an alright musical. I preferred the Pharmarusical and the Bitch Perfect ones but this is a solid third (including the Allstars ones... did AS4 have one? AS2 had the horrific Princess Diana thing, AS3 had the horrific "Thorgy is bottom-two despite doing a solid Stevie Nicks" thing).

Crystal surprised me, I assumed she'd be in the bottom two. Gigi and Jan were the correct top two but I still, for the life of me, can't understand that win... I mean the runway was a STRETCH as it was but to go for an animated video look that a grand total of 1400 people may have watched at one time? It was just... so blah.

It saddens me that Jan is being pigeon-holed into an Alexis Michelle edit (that "next time" segment at the end of this episode when they try to make fun of her for crying over not winning when it was pretty abundantly clear it was because Brita was her closest friend ) but thankfully the fans are seeing through it and calling her a robbed queen. I don't think she's been KILLING it the whole season, she's often been forgettable... but she's deserved a good track record (on par with, say, Jaida's or Jackie's).

The challenge was hard to judge... I can't help but feel that Gigi got a lot of favourable choreography (I mean she had like 5 lifts when everyone else just had to repeat the same 8 steps). Brita being sent home for the wrong earring is a scream to me she got a pretty good exit, with everyone being sad for her and a heartfelt farewell. She wasn't really that awful, bless her.

And the runway... I've said it before... since Kimonogate, it seems quite obvious that production have interfered when it comes to these "replicate looks of a celebrity" runways. I'm sure some S9 queens mentioned having to tell in advance which Lady Gaga looks they'd prepare for the premiere. So every time these runways pop up I (yes I overthink these things) just... fear that production bias will just meddle and say "yes Heidi... use that random ****ing poncho look that isn't at all flattering "

I suppose I shouldn't get too pessimistic about the outcome of the season when it's possible for a Valentinesque lipsync to happen... and with the absence of a live finale there's no real knowing who would win a lipsync vs. who... will someone even be crowned, etc. But with Sherry disqualified I just don't have a queen who's won enough challenges to support

But then Yvie won the season with one challenge win vs. Brooke's 3, and that was shared with Scarlet Envy, so... (yes she won the music video challenge if that counted but shut up)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:09 AM #39
ॐ❤✌❤ॐ❤☯❤ॐ❤✌❤ॐ

Favourites (more):

ॐ❤✌❤ॐ❤☯❤ॐ❤✌❤ॐ

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post

But then Yvie won the season with one challenge win vs. Brooke's 3, and that was shared with Scarlet Envy, so...
this gives me hope

Spoiler:

Saph is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:16 AM #40
Too glam to give a damn

Too glam to give a damn

On the lip-syncs, I have to say that this season has probably been the worst for them so far.
Braden is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:35 AM #41
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Does anyone else find Brita seems to over lip sync? I think it’s just cause her mouth is so ****ing big, but yeah, it’s off putting
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:00 PM #42

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB. View Post
See also: a queen, I believe Jan (as Madonna) singing "my mum died when I was five" and Ru's immediate reaction being "I love it! "
I noticed this and screamed
Jigs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
episode, preview, s12