Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Tech, Movies & Video Games Discuss technology, movies and video games here.

Old 16-04-2020, 01:04 PM #151
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I'm lagging behind on Chapter 8. It took me so long to find the elemental materia on the underplate... I totally missed the ladder that leads to it... Running around aimlessly for hours.
I did the same, I hate that chapter. I think the whole journey to Reactor 5 was far too padded tbh.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 02:29 PM #152
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I did the same, I hate that chapter. I think the whole journey to Reactor 5 was far too padded tbh.
I quite enjoyed MOST of the chapter but yeah I thought the underplate maze was a little too bloated, and also the path to the Air Buster with the "removing parts" stuff was longer than it needed to be and killed a bit of the build up (two opportunities to choose an aspect to target would have been plenty, IMO).
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 11:53 AM #153
-

-

I was worried they'd 5one down Corneo but he's so sinister and gross. The whole Wall Market section was surreal, and great.

But I was not ready for Chapter 12 at all.

I was also marginally disappointed that then they swung out of the pillar on the cable, Cloud did not mount Barrett's arm like a horse. One of my fav parts of the original .
Old 22-04-2020, 12:11 PM #154
Banned

Banned

I'm about ten minutes into Chapter 17. I reckon I'll have the game completed before long.
Old 22-04-2020, 12:13 PM #155
Banned

Banned

Quote:
I was worried they'd 5one down Corneo but he's so sinister and gross. The whole Wall Market section was surreal, and great.

But I was not ready for Chapter 12 at all.

I was also marginally disappointed that then they swung out of the pillar on the cable, Cloud did not mount Barrett's arm like a horse. One of my fav parts of the original .
Wall Market was such a well done chapter. I loved the new characters, the way they did the cross dressing was both hilarious yet considerate and I loved the whole musical routine. Also Hell House might be one of my favourite boss fights in the game.

Chapter 12 hit a lot harder this time then it did in the original.
Old 22-04-2020, 02:00 PM #156
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Wall Market was such a well done chapter. I loved the new characters, the way they did the cross dressing was both hilarious yet considerate and I loved the whole musical routine. Also Hell House might be one of my favourite boss fights in the game.

Chapter 12 hit a lot harder this time then it did in the original.
I liked the overall concept of hell house too, it was such a random enemy in the original that just showed up in the junkyard area, no explanation for Wtf it actually is or why it would exist. I like that they leaned into how illogical the whole thing is, and explained it as being a bizarre idea that Corneo had come up with and probably said "YES I said a giant robot house! Just make it happen!"

Re ch. 12... Jessie was always sad but Biggs was such a nothing-character in the original. I teared right up when he was talking with Cloud in the tower .

Im about half way through chapter 13 now, have to say that the game (though its been good from the start) really picked up after Reactor 5 (with Aerith being introduced, then Wall Market) and has been pretty much flawless since that point.
Old 22-04-2020, 02:07 PM #157
-

-

Also... For it to continue to be as fleshed-out as this part has been, I honestly can't see them doing the whole thing in 3 parts?

I'm also a touch confused about how progression will work going forward, I mean later-game magics and abilities like the -agas start appearing through natural game progression less than half way through this... When normally you wouldnt have them by the END of Midgar without doing some significant grinding. You also don't get even one new weapon for Cloud until post-midgar.

Im hoping they have a solid plan and haven't just focused on making one great game without knowing how to expand it into the full story...
Old 22-04-2020, 06:27 PM #158
Banned

Banned

Quote:
I liked the overall concept of hell house too, it was such a random enemy in the original that just showed up in the junkyard area, no explanation for Wtf it actually is or why it would exist. I like that they leaned into how illogical the whole thing is, and explained it as being a bizarre idea that Corneo had come up with and probably said "YES I said a giant robot house! Just make it happen!"

Re ch. 12... Jessie was always sad but Biggs was such a nothing-character in the original. I teared right up when he was talking with Cloud in the tower .

Im about half way through chapter 13 now, have to say that the game (though its been good from the start) really picked up after Reactor 5 (with Aerith being introduced, then Wall Market) and has been pretty much flawless since that point.
It's a great little homage to a beloved enemy, I like that, despite how strange most of FFVII's enemies were, they've been lovingly recreated in the remake without barely anything left out.

Yeah, I was really fond of all three Avalanche members in this game, they did a really good job with giving them more development.

The two chapters leading up to Reactor 5 are the worst in the game so far for me, there didn't need to be two chapters and they were filler to the extreme, I think they should have combined the two into one chapter and given us more backstory and development for other characters. I think every other chapters (Except 10, which was a little bleh) has been excellent so far. I particularly loved what they did with the Train Graveyard, it's such a small part of the original but they gave it it's own lore and feel and really put some time into making what was a filler area in the original seem like more here.
Old 22-04-2020, 06:33 PM #159
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Also... For it to continue to be as fleshed-out as this part has been, I honestly can't see them doing the whole thing in 3 parts?

I'm also a touch confused about how progression will work going forward, I mean later-game magics and abilities like the -agas start appearing through natural game progression less than half way through this... When normally you wouldnt have them by the END of Midgar without doing some significant grinding. You also don't get even one new weapon for Cloud until post-midgar.

Im hoping they have a solid plan and haven't just focused on making one great game without knowing how to expand it into the full story...
I still think it'll be a trilogy mainly because Midgar is unique in the original in that we spend more time there then any other place, it's a huge area in that game and no other location compares in terms of size. I think Part 2 will cover the rest of Disc 1, I think certain areas will look huge and expanded but places like Costa Del Sol will probably still be a small part of the game. I don't think there will be a world map but you'll have open areas (mainly the Golden Saucer/Cosmo Canyon area, I'm guessing) where you'll be able to explore and quest freely.

I don't think they'll expand any other location quite like they did with Midgar. I think areas like Cosmo Canyon, Wutai and Nibelheim will be longer (especially the latter since I can see them dipping their toes into the horror pool with the mansion) but I don't think they'll focus on one area enough to justify it as it's own game. I think the theme of Part 2 will probably be about exploring the world and since you do most of that in Disc 1, I think it'll form Part 2.

You could easily cover the reunion and the Meteor Arc in part 3, I think.

As for progression, I dunno. At first I was certain everything would carry over but now I'm not sure.

I got a feeling we'll find out before long though, since I've always believed that they're farther ahead on the future parts then they are willing to admit, especially if they keep the same graphics and gameplay engines. I can see them taking these five years since the reveal to potentially get themselves into a position to do yearly releases comfortably for future parts. If that's the case, we'll probably hear about Part 2 in June.

Last edited by Tom4784; 22-04-2020 at 06:36 PM.
Old 23-04-2020, 09:06 AM #160
-

-

Yeah I have questions about what will carry over, I can see the next game simply starting with a "more powerful default" although personally I'd much prefer it if the save data did transfer.

I've been hearing rumours that they might retcon Aerith's death or, perhaps, have her be resurrected. There were those rumours that you could do it in the original (everyone knew someone who "had really done it!" ) and then also follow-up rumours that it was originally intended to be part of the storyline but was cut to get the game out in time. I'd say that's probably not entirely true either but who knows.

It's such a huge part of the story arc (and gaming history tbh) that it would be a bad move in my opinion...
Old 23-04-2020, 01:09 PM #161
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Since you have both reached Hell House, I noticed this FFXIV easter egg
Old 23-04-2020, 06:37 PM #162
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Yeah I have questions about what will carry over, I can see the next game simply starting with a "more powerful default" although personally I'd much prefer it if the save data did transfer.

I've been hearing rumours that they might retcon Aerith's death or, perhaps, have her be resurrected. There were those rumours that you could do it in the original (everyone knew someone who "had really done it!" ) and then also follow-up rumours that it was originally intended to be part of the storyline but was cut to get the game out in time. I'd say that's probably not entirely true either but who knows.

It's such a huge part of the story arc (and gaming history tbh) that it would be a bad move in my opinion...
I think Aerith's death is written in stone, remember when we meet her in Chapter 8 and we get that quick little flashforward of her materia dropping from the platform? I can't imagine them changing her fate, it's too iconic.

I think some things will carry over but not everything. I think DLC materia will carry over, Enemy skills etc.

I think magic materia probably won't since it levelled quickly in this game anyway.
Old 25-04-2020, 07:15 PM #163
-

-

I can't do the pro pull-ups. I just can't. It made me rage quit.
Old 26-04-2020, 01:03 PM #164
Banned

Banned

I completed it last night, I loved the game as a whole but I can see why people are angry about the last chapter.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:25 PM #165
-

-

End spoilers
Spoiler:

Umm. I think it was all great as a standalone game. At this point however, it has some fundamental differences that make it a spin-off (or even a pseudo-sequel?) and not a remake.

I'm mostly here for it I think but I have a few narrative gripes regarding are Sephiroth. FIRSTLY... They've had him go One Winged Angel far, far too early? His character was still developing at this point in the main game he had only just taken Jenova, which applies here too, and yet he's approaching fully developed form. How, and why? I can't think of a narrative reason - the only reason I can think of is "to make a better boss fight" and I'm not sure about that one.

ALSO - and this is a big one for me - a huge story beat of the original is that Cloud at the point of leaving Midgar is supposed to be a bit of a joke compared to Sephiroth, and nowhere near able to go toe to toe with him. Seph could swat him like a fly. The entire journey of the game sees Cloud gain real power to the point that he can go one on one with Sephiroth and win, which Sephiroth did not expect.

Sure he didn't win overall here but they were FAR too closely matched. There was a very good reason that you never actually had this sort of battle against Sephiroth until the end of the whole game. It should have been over in seconds.

Perhaps I can head-cannon it as him pulling his punches? Meh.

There's also no reasonable explanation for Biggs being alive. He was ON the pillar when it came down.

I can see there being big changes going forward but I'm hesitant tbh.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:09 AM #166
Banned

Banned

Quote:
End spoilers
Spoiler:

Umm. I think it was all great as a standalone game. At this point however, it has some fundamental differences that make it a spin-off (or even a pseudo-sequel?) and not a remake.

I'm mostly here for it I think but I have a few narrative gripes regarding are Sephiroth. FIRSTLY... They've had him go One Winged Angel far, far too early? His character was still developing at this point in the main game he had only just taken Jenova, which applies here too, and yet he's approaching fully developed form. How, and why? I can't think of a narrative reason - the only reason I can think of is "to make a better boss fight" and I'm not sure about that one.

ALSO - and this is a big one for me - a huge story beat of the original is that Cloud at the point of leaving Midgar is supposed to be a bit of a joke compared to Sephiroth, and nowhere near able to go toe to toe with him. Seph could swat him like a fly. The entire journey of the game sees Cloud gain real power to the point that he can go one on one with Sephiroth and win, which Sephiroth did not expect.

Sure he didn't win overall here but they were FAR too closely matched. There was a very good reason that you never actually had this sort of battle against Sephiroth until the end of the whole game. It should have been over in seconds.

Perhaps I can head-cannon it as him pulling his punches? Meh.

There's also no reasonable explanation for Biggs being alive. He was ON the pillar when it came down.

I can see there being big changes going forward but I'm hesitant tbh.
Spoiler:

I wouldn't call it anything other than a remake, it's just a smart remake that's decided to do it's own thing with the original story. We only have to look to Hollywood with Psycho and Lion King to know how disastrous faithful remakes can turn out to be.

I don't think Cloud was evenly matched for Sephiroth at all, we obviously have to be seen as winning the battle gameplay wise but we see in the scene afterwards that Sephiroth is essentially playing with his food. In my own headcanon, I tend to believe that Cloud's abilities were enhanced by being in the singularity, he's not going to teleport over the place normally but within the Whisper's playground, he can.

Biggs and Jessie were probably saved by the Whispers, my theory is that they'll play a role in the Attack on Midgar where they'll likely meet their ends in the process. Whispers kept them around for them to fulfill their part, essentially. I do agree that it wasn't needed though as it did lessen chapter 12's impact quite a bit.

The whole point of the Whispers were to essentially give the writers creative license to do things differently and that's exciting but from what I've heard, the devs aren't going to change the main story beats too much.

A lot of people think that the game will end up dealing with time travel due to the Zack tease at the end but I don't see it. I think it'll be a red herring and Zack will have still died propr to the game's beginning, it'll just happen later then it did originally. My guess is that he'll have an encounter with Sephiroth that'll prove vital down the line when Meteor comes into play.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:53 AM #167
Life imitates art

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

Life imitates art

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

So this is going to be free for ps plus members this month

Spoiler:

LukeB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:58 PM #168
Banned

Banned

The only caveat is that the free PS5 upgrade isn't included with the PS+ version.
Old 09-04-2021, 08:05 PM #169
-

-

I wanna suck biggs’ toes
Fetch The Bolt Cutters is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 02:11 AM #170
Banned

Banned

Old 10-04-2021, 10:17 AM #171
-

-

Does the free upgrade from PS4 come with the Yuffie DLC or is that extra?
Old 10-04-2021, 01:33 PM #172
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Does the free upgrade from PS4 come with the Yuffie DLC or is that extra?
Yuffie is paid DLC unless you buy the PS5 version... I think.
Old 16-04-2021, 02:40 PM #173
-

-

I’m up to the bit where you have to gain access to the house to rescue tifa by fighting in the arena and i love this game but why the **** is one of the boss fights a literal house
Fetch The Bolt Cutters is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 08:56 PM #174
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetch The Bolt Cutters View Post
I’m up to the bit where you have to gain access to the house to rescue tifa by fighting in the arena and i love this game but why the **** is one of the boss fights a literal house
A nod to a standard enemy in the original

... but there's actually MORE explanation for its existence in the remake. In the original there's none at all it's literally just an enemy type that shows up sometimes in one specific zone.
Old 16-04-2021, 09:00 PM #175
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

I love that one of Hellhouse's moves is 'Heavensward'

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
10th, 2020, 3rd, april, aus, australia, coming, delayed, demo, early, europe, fantasy, final, game, march, release, remake, ship, teaser, vii