Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Closed Thread

Old 25-05-2020, 07:28 AM #676

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg! View Post
Where is the proof that the son has autism? It’s just a claim I see his supporters desperately making everywhere, but no actual proof.

Not that it would justify travelling all that way with the virus anyway.

They want to keep it Private
Old 25-05-2020, 07:31 AM #677

Old 25-05-2020, 07:34 AM #678
TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg! View Post
Where is the proof that the son has autism? It’s just a claim I see his supporters desperately making everywhere, but no actual proof.

Not that it would justify travelling all that way with the virus anyway.
exactly, and also i have autism but i know you must stay at home, no visits to elderly family members

if his son requires more attention, he could've asked Boris for some time off from work, and have more father-son time

and i agree 100% with that last part, give the son attention yourself, and in case if he needs to see his grandparents, use facetime or skype

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.

Spoiler:

Israel we Love You
Old 25-05-2020, 07:37 AM #679
laura carter stan

Favourites (more):
BB19: Sian
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

laura carter stan

Favourites (more):
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post
exactly, and also i have autism but i know you must stay at home, no visits to elderly family members

if his son requires more attention, he could've asked Boris for some time off from work, and have more father-son time

and i agree 100% with that last part, give the son attention yourself, and in case if he needs to see his grandparents, use facetime or skype
Well said Nicky
Old 25-05-2020, 08:22 AM #680
-

-

My daughter is autistic and learning disabled and, if it's true, I would understand his actions... if I believed for a second that they were the actual reason for his travel. As it happens, I don't believe that that was the genuine reason, and I think people are using his child's disability (if that is the case) as an excuse, which is just ****ing awful to be honest.

That aside though to give some insight into why I think it would be OK *if* it was the real reason; my daughter (aged 7) has a very limited number of people who can look after her. Us, her school/LD professionals, and my sister (who lives 3+ hours away on an island). It's not the case that any other family member or friend will suffice "in a tough spot" - my dad/my in-laws simply don't understand her needs, don't know how to communicate with her, and she would not be safe. Honestly she would be safer with her 10 year old sister than with most adult family members. It's not a simple situation.

But yes... again... I don't believe for a second that this was the reason for their travel. It's just BS that they were concerned that they would both fall gravely ill so suddenly that arrangements couldn't be made to get their son to his grandparents in a worst case scenario that never came to pass anyway. They went out of want, not need.
Old 25-05-2020, 08:47 AM #681

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
My daughter is autistic and learning disabled and, if it's true, I would understand his actions... if I believed for a second that they were the actual reason for his travel. As it happens, I don't believe that that was the genuine reason, and I think people are using his child's disability (if that is the case) as an excuse, which is just ****ing awful to be honest.

That aside though to give some insight into why I think it would be OK *if* it was the real reason; my daughter (aged 7) has a very limited number of people who can look after her. Us, her school/LD professionals, and my sister (who lives 3+ hours away on an island). It's not the case that any other family member or friend will suffice "in a tough spot" - my dad/my in-laws simply don't understand her needs, don't know how to communicate with her, and she would not be safe. Honestly she would be safer with her 10 year old sister than with most adult family members. It's not a simple situation.

But yes... again... I don't believe for a second that this was the reason for their travel. It's just BS that they were concerned that they would both fall gravely ill so suddenly that arrangements couldn't be made to get their son to his grandparents in a worst case scenario that never came to pass anyway. They went out of want, not need.

Great post TS
Old 25-05-2020, 09:25 AM #682

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
I saw some guy on another forum saying that it’s hardly a ‘thing’ on Facebook this evening .. I have no idea if he’s right as I don’t use it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I rarely use twitter as its full of mainly crap and armchair critics, I do use Facebook and that seems pretty half and half but again just people venting mainly.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Old 25-05-2020, 09:29 AM #683

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post

Well the media need to make their minds up as it is reported its a daughter , then a son, not that it matters but this is why I don't rely on newspapers etc.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Old 25-05-2020, 09:29 AM #684
You know my methods

You know my methods

I take it they visited a petrol station prior to going...

How nice
Old 25-05-2020, 09:48 AM #685

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Favourites (more):

Old 25-05-2020, 09:57 AM #686
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
This is the error of taking a nation-wide approach (and the reason that Scotland is taking slightly different measures) - the virus has "peaked" if you look at the figures for the whole country, but in truth, it has only actually peaked in London. Thus, it is only really sensible to be easing restrictions in London. The approach seems to be "Numbers are down in London, thus numbers are down overall, so the whole country is good to go". Stoopid. The assessment should be entirely regional.

Not just different measures in Scotland etc. but different measures from county to county in England as well. What's right for London and the South isn't necessarily right for Manchester, or Yorkshire, etc etc.

But then again; you could apply the above statement to pretty much every aspect of modern politics. No one is listening and it'll always remain London-centric.
Old 25-05-2020, 09:57 AM #687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
That’s the kind of thing that you’d expect to see at the height of the pandemic weeks ago !?!?!

But we’re currently being told by all and sundry that we’re on the home straight and everything’s looking fine and dandy .. we’re being told that it’s safe to send nearly half of the nation’s primary schools kids back next Monday !?

Old 25-05-2020, 10:00 AM #688

Quote:
This is the error of taking a nation-wide approach (and the reason that Scotland is taking slightly different measures) - the virus has "peaked" if you look at the figures for the whole country, but in truth, it has only actually peaked in London. Thus, it is only really sensible to be easing restrictions in London. The approach seems to be "Numbers are down in London, thus numbers are down overall, so the whole country is good to go". Stoopid. The assessment should be entirely regional.

Not just different measures in Scotland etc. but different measures from county to county in England as well. What's right for London and the South isn't necessarily right for Manchester, or Yorkshire, etc etc.

But then again; you could apply the above statement to pretty much every aspect of modern politics. No one is listening and it'll always remain London-centric.

Agree totally in what you say

Old 25-05-2020, 10:01 AM #689
-

-

Quote:

But we’re currently being told by all and sundry that we’re on the home straight and everything’s looking fine and dandy
It is. In London.

And here's the problem; the supposition is that the declining numbers overall (thanks to London) are due to the effectiveness of lockdown, and as the whole country entered lockdown at the same time, if the numbers across the board look good then everywhere should be fine to go back to normal at the same time.

Largely this is because no one wants to accept that the dropping numbers in London probably have more to do with the previously higher infection rate, and thus higher levels of resistance in the community. The narrative seems to be that London being initially the hardest hit by far, and now the first to see significantly decreasing cases long before the rUK, is ... coincidence, I guess?
Old 25-05-2020, 10:05 AM #690

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

London is the only place that ever matters in the Westminster bubble, **** everywhere else as long as London is good
Old 25-05-2020, 10:10 AM #691
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis G

London might be declining faster in new infections but the other regions in England have also seen a sustained fall in hospital admissions over the last few weeks so it's not true to say that things are getting worse elsewhere. I wouldn't get too hysterical about a rise in infections just yet based on a precautionary measure from one hospital, the overall picture is still a very positive one
Old 25-05-2020, 10:11 AM #692
-

-

If anyone is interested in my full (disclosure for Kizzy: I'm not a medical professional) theory on why the London numbers have dropped so low.

- 60% infection/recovery rate is needed for herd immunity to start to take effect
- Studies have shown that 20% of the overall London population has had Covid.
- BUT only a certain percentage of Londoners have been regularly out and about during lockdown.
- It is IMO feasible that over 60% of socially active Londoners have been infected and recovered, resulting in a level of immunity "in the population that's still out and about".
- New infections, therefore, drop exponentially.

The potential problem:

- The section of the population that has been mainly quarantining starts getting back out there, the percentage of people "in public" who have a level of immunity immediately drops back down to 20% - 30% and new infections shoot back up. Possibly not to the same level as peak, but a noticeable "smaller peak". And of course, as with the early days, we won't know until 2 - 4 weeks from now.
Old 25-05-2020, 10:13 AM #693
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Quote:
It is. In London.

And here's the problem; the supposition is that the declining numbers overall (thanks to London) are due to the effectiveness of lockdown, and as the whole country entered lockdown at the same time, if the numbers across the board look good then everywhere should be fine to go back to normal at the same time.

Largely this is because no one wants to accept that the dropping numbers in London probably have more to do with the previously higher infection rate, and thus higher levels of resistance in the community. The narrative seems to be that London being initially the hardest hit by far, and now the first to see significantly decreasing cases long before the rUK, is ... coincidence, I guess?
Haven’t they said the will lock down areas if necessary? ..the other issue I have with this is the claim that the government didn’t lock down early enough which may be true for London, but these areas which had a low level of virus when they did lock down would fall into the category of locking down early but the virus wasn’t damped down by lockdown, so not sure why that is happening..?

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 25-05-2020, 10:29 AM #694
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Haven’t they said the will lock down areas if necessary? ..the other issue I have with this is the claim that the government didn’t lock down early enough which may be true for London, but these areas which had a low level of virus when they did lock down would fall into the category of locking down early but the virus wasn’t damped down by lockdown, so not sure why that is happening..?
Again in my non-medical opinion... it's because transmission "randomly" in the community is actually not the main way the virus spreads... it spreads amongst households and in areas of sustained contact like workplaces and of course care homes. Lockdown has definitely HAD an effect and has done the job of keeping the NHS from being swamped, certainly, things like fewer people on public transport will definitely have made a difference, but I personally doubt that things like supermarket one-ways systems and 2m distancing in shops will have made a huge difference overall. Again of course, I'm not going to second guess the advice to the extent of "not doing it"... I'll still go along with it... but I don't think it's been the magic bullet.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 25-05-2020 at 10:29 AM.
Old 25-05-2020, 10:34 AM #695
TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):

TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):

the mother of our PM Rutte had died on May 13th, was just announced today

96 yrs old, her funeral was last Friday

she didn't die of covid, despite there were quite some cases of the virus in the care home she stayed at

Spoiler:

Israel we Love You
Old 25-05-2020, 10:50 AM #696

Quote:
If anyone is interested in my full (disclosure for Kizzy: I'm not a medical professional) theory on why the London numbers have dropped so low.

- 60% infection/recovery rate is needed for herd immunity to start to take effect
- Studies have shown that 20% of the overall London population has had Covid.
- BUT only a certain percentage of Londoners have been regularly out and about during lockdown.
- It is IMO feasible that over 60% of socially active Londoners have been infected and recovered, resulting in a level of immunity "in the population that's still out and about".
- New infections, therefore, drop exponentially.

The potential problem:

- The section of the population that has been mainly quarantining starts getting back out there, the percentage of people "in public" who have a level of immunity immediately drops back down to 20% - 30% and new infections shoot back up. Possibly not to the same level as peak, but a noticeable "smaller peak". And of course, as with the early days, we won't know until 2 - 4 weeks from now.

Well hundreds of thousands of pupils will have returned to school by then .. I’m really concerned

Old 25-05-2020, 10:59 AM #697

Quote:
That’s the kind of thing that you’d expect to see at the height of the pandemic weeks ago !?!?!

But we’re currently being told by all and sundry that we’re on the home straight and everything’s looking fine and dandy .. we’re being told that it’s safe to send nearly half of the nation’s primary schools kids back next Monday !?

It is only a very small hospital though its only got 260 beds.
Old 25-05-2020, 11:06 AM #698
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

they will simply monitor the new admissions rate at hospitals, if that starts to look like it could be getting high, they will slow down on the relaxing of the lock down measures, but we should be realistic, we won't go full lock down again, it just wont happen
Old 25-05-2020, 11:10 AM #699
TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):

TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
they will simply monitor the new admissions rate at hospitals, if that starts to look like it could be getting high, they will slow down on the relaxing of the lock down measures, but we should be realistic, we won't go full lock down again, it just wont happen
full lockdown would be the best when that second wave hits

and is there any signs of decrease in ICU numbers in britain? ours is really going down now, now just something in the 200's which is good so we got enough ventilators, beds when the second wave hits after the summer

Spoiler:

Israel we Love You
Old 25-05-2020, 11:27 AM #700

Quote:
Originally Posted by hijaxers View Post
It is only a very small hospital though its only got 260 beds.

It’s all relative though , surely ??

Closed Thread

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
5pm, coronavirus, downing, minister, outbreak, prime, st, statement, today