Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 07:52 PM #76
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Princess Diana wasn't a quitter. She did what she saw as her duty right up to the end.
Dodi*.

Damn autocorrect
Old 03-07-2020, 08:15 PM #77
Banned

Banned

Megan Markle could 'do her duty' until it killed her and people will find reasons to hate her because of her race.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:34 PM #78

Favourites:
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace

Favourites:
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Megan Markle could 'do her duty' until it killed her and people will find reasons to hate her because of her race.
True, however it's not about race for everyone. I'm a proud anti-royalist and have absolutely no time for any of them, their race, hair colour, gender means nothing to me.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:43 PM #79
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
True, however it's not about race for everyone. I'm a proud anti-royalist and have absolutely no time for any of them, their race, hair colour, gender means nothing to me.
I'm 100% anti-royalist too but I can still see that Megan Markle has been taking a ridiculous level of flak and abuse from certain people compared to the rest of 'em, and there has to be a reason for that. For some it's her race. For some it's that they don't think she's "royal material" because she's "just some yank actress". For some it's a varying combination of the two (black from money would have been ok, white american actress would have been OK, but the combination of the two is too much).

For some others it's simply that she talks too much and they want their royal women quiet and compliant.

Either way... there's a huge number of people that have their knickers in a twist about Megan getting on with her day whilst not giving a stuff that the Queen is using her privilege to defend her probable-sex-predator son. Really dystopian stuff tbh.

But yeah... I feel like Megan Markle is being unfairly singled out, AND at the same time I think the whole thing is a sad mess that should have ended over half a century ago.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:47 PM #80

State of this thread... honestly you are all as bad as each other.

I've cleaned up, stick to the thread topic and stop with the personal comments. Thanks.

Last edited by Josy; 03-07-2020 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:49 PM #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I'm 100% anti-royalist too but I can still see that Megan Markle has been taking a ridiculous level of flak and abuse from certain people compared to the rest of 'em, and there has to be a reason for that. For some it's her race. For some it's that they don't think she's "royal material" because she's "just some yank actress". For some it's a varying combination of the two (black from money would have been ok, white american actress would have been OK, but the combination of the two is too much).

For some others it's simply that she talks too much and they want their royal women quiet and compliant.

Either way... there's a huge number of people that have their knickers in a twist about Megan getting on with her day whilst not giving a stuff that the Queen is using her privilege to defend her probable-sex-predator son. Really dystopian stuff tbh.

But yeah... I feel like Megan Markle is being unfairly singled out, AND at the same time I think the whole thing is a sad mess that should have ended over half a century ago.
Pretty much every I dotted and every t crossed.

However, the argument that she's not liked because she's not Kate because "Kate is independent" is one I hadn't heard before though and has really made me laugh tonight. Probably the best justification I've heard.

Last edited by Marsh.; 03-07-2020 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:19 PM #82

Meghan is a very independent woman. Diana grew into a very independent woman. Kate has grown in her role and been respectful in her duties. She has been discreet and respectful to her husband and the Royal family in her role as future Queen and she is loved for that.
Perhaps the difference with Meghan is that she wanted to be different...she came into the Royal family as a mature woman but wanting to stand out as an independent woman and because of that she rebelled imo and didn’t want to be told what to do and how to behave. I believe Harry to be quite immature...He should have given Meghan time to adapt...and see that her life would change dramatically as the wife of a prince but in time she could come into her own. She was advised by her own friends to think hard about her decision...but she didn’t listen. Now she’s blaming everyone else...
They have made their decision but it’s one I think Harry will live to regret.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:16 AM #83

She didn't listen.... Harry didn't give her time....

Unless you know them it's useless gossip. Still not justification for her treatment.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:20 AM #84
Mokka

Favourites (more):
BB19: Tomasz
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Mokka

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticgal View Post
independent woman and because of that she rebelled imo and didn’t want to be told what to do and how to behave.
Why should a grown mature woman be told what to do or how to behave? The very notion is laughable.

You talk about these two women like we are back in the 1800s. The way you are referring to Kate makes her sound like a battered housewife who dare not step out of turn.

Royalty or not... have we not come out of this type of regressive era yet??
You've entered the post apocalyptic ruins of a site about a dead show, where every battle imaginable has already been fought a hundred times over. A cynical world of hardened arseholes where the mods have stopped caring, and the administrator is watching Tetris championships while the rest of us bicker in here.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:23 AM #85
Mokka

Favourites (more):

Mokka

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josy View Post
State of this thread... honestly you are all as bad as each other.

I've cleaned up, stick to the thread topic and stop with the personal comments. Thanks.
Josy coming in to scrub the palace floors

You've entered the post apocalyptic ruins of a site about a dead show, where every battle imaginable has already been fought a hundred times over. A cynical world of hardened arseholes where the mods have stopped caring, and the administrator is watching Tetris championships while the rest of us bicker in here.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:21 AM #86

Favourites (more):
BB17: Andy
BB14: Dan

Favourites (more):

Meghan the ‘strong independent woman’ - not really…..do your research folks….

Her father worked hard to send her to the top schools and university in LA.
Her Uncle got her her first job placement.
Her fathers influence as an award winning lighting director got her parts in game shows and hallmark movies.
Her film producer first husband Trevors influence got her the part in Suits. Suits was the pinnacle of her success in acting and not even widely known.

Then she went after Harry…(covered in previous posts!) Now Prince Charles is subsidising her and Harry and she is living in a mansion lent to them by some billionaire which her Mummy Doria has now moved into as well.

So strong and independent she couldn’t stand the inevitable flak that Diana and even Fergie got a hundred times over and all that boring royal work and ran off home to Mummy and LA to live rent free in a mansion in addition to taking Daddy in law’s hand outs.

Strong, independent woman - no. Unless being a whinging diva who uses the latest woke excuse to bail out when she had no intention of staying in the UK to begin with is seen as strong and independent nowadays….
Old 04-07-2020, 02:53 AM #87

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Jade View Post
The press are treating her the same horrible way they treated our beautiful Princess Diana.

Nonsense, the majority of the press in the main adored Diana, and any criticism was justified as was the praise she deservedly often received, it was mainly the paparazzi who hounded her.
When have you ever seen a pap shot of Meghan being surrounded and harrassed? Never. She was protected.
In the Uk it is illegal to take pics of royal children now too.
So Harry says he took his wife and child away from the UK to protect them...and goes to LA where the press and paps have a free for all. Makes no sense at all. When they emerge from isolation its going to be interesting....they will be kept busy with all that suing they seem so fond of, its lucrative stuff..
Old 04-07-2020, 03:03 AM #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post

Her fathers influence as an award winning lighting director got her parts in game shows and hallmark movies.
Her film producer first husband Trevors influence got her the part in Suits. Suits was the pinnacle of her success in acting and not even widely known.

Then she went after Harry…(covered in previous posts!) Now Prince Charles is subsidising her and Harry and she is living in a mansion lent to them by some billionaire which her Mummy Doria has now moved into as well.

So strong and independent she couldn’t stand the inevitable flak that Diana and even Fergie got a hundred times over and all that boring royal work and ran off home to Mummy and LA to live rent free in a mansion in addition to taking Daddy in law’s hand outs.

Strong, independent woman - no. Unless being a whinging diva who uses the latest woke excuse to bail out when she had no intention of staying in the UK to begin with is seen as strong and independent nowadays….
Quote:
Nonsense, the majority of the press in the main adored Diana, and any criticism was justified as was the praise she deservedly often received, it was mainly the paparazzi who hounded her.
When have you ever seen a pap shot of Meghan being surrounded and harrassed? Never. She was protected.
In the Uk it is illegal to take pics of royal children now too.
So Harry says he took his wife and child away from the UK to protect them...and goes to LA where the press and paps have a free for all. Makes no sense at all. When they emerge from isolation its going to be interesting....they will be kept busy with all that suing they seem so fond of, its lucrative stuff..
Back with more nonsense.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:05 AM #89

Quote:

So strong and independent she couldn’t stand the inevitable flak that Diana and even Fergie got a hundred times over and all that boring royal work and ran off home to Mummy and LA to live rent free in a mansion in addition to taking Daddy in law’s hand outs. .
So strong and independent to you is taking tax payer handouts for ribbon cutting and freely accepting abuse from the press?

Erm.... ok.

Last edited by Marsh.; 04-07-2020 at 03:06 AM.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:21 AM #90

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
So strong and independent to you is taking tax payer handouts for ribbon cutting and freely accepting abuse from the press?

Erm.... ok.
There is a lot more to being a senior member of the Royal Family than ribbon cutting, as Meghan found out and quickly bailed. It's hard boring work.
All high profile people get abuse from the press occassionally, especially when they seem to thrive on attention, as Meghan does. She left the UK for a quiet life, right?, but she keeps popping up by jumping on the latest bandwagon like clockwork or suing people.
Strong people just ignore the press clamour, like the Queen and Kate, who is said to have a spine of steel. I can well believe it, with 19 patronages, sporting organizations, and her and Wills own foundation to take care of, plus 3 young children. Thats what I call strong and independent,earning your keep, and all that.... not sponging off billionaires and celebs like Oprah you didn't even know previously for accomodation and work who wouldn't give you the time of day if you were just that whats - her - name actress in that legal drama thingy that her ex got her into.

Once again, it will be the influence of others who will get her something to do.
Watch this space.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:22 AM #91

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Back with more nonsense.
Still in denial then? Or is love really blind?
Old 04-07-2020, 05:09 AM #92
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...sadly, discussions about Meghan always end up the same so I think it’s run it’s course for me, I will never understand the levels of ‘anti-Meghan’ feelings which the media have stoked and encouraged ...Racial undertones have most definately played a part and she’s American and she’s an actress and she was older and she was a divorcee and she wasn’t Kate and she wasn’t Diana ...and the list goes on...it’s fascinating how individuality is praised and applauded until individuality is right there and then it’s condemned...I think for me actually,
Ann Widdecombe’s thoughts on BB were a good representative of the dislike or mistrust toward Meghan before she was given a chance...’..I think she’s trouble, background, attitude etc...’...and when pushed, there was no reasoning for that ‘just a feeling’, she had prejudged her with suspicion and not given her a level chance....in my experience through life, when initial thoughts are so negative or suspicious or dubious or whatever...?..then every action and word is viewed from that slant...and that I think is how it’s been for Meghan...it would have been too humanly exhausting to have spent her time trying to please the UK media and the U.K. public because she couldn’t ‘do better’ when she wasn’t doing anything wrong in the first place...she just didn’t fit their ‘Royal Mould’ and never would and I’m glad that Harry’s first care has been to support and protect her......

....she’s not Kate, she shouldn’t be compared to Kate...they’re two different people and although they’re married to brothers, their roles have always been different...’female V female’ seems to be something that some tabloids and public do as well...I like both, they’re both fairly terrific ladies and comparing them in the negative way that it’s often been done has been very damaging, I feel...anyways, I’m glad that Harry and Meghan have made decisions for their family’s wellbeing, for their happiness now and going forward....

Last edited by Ammi; 04-07-2020 at 05:24 AM.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:04 AM #93
Adios

Adios

Quote:

I love that she bothers you SO much. An impactful Queen

“Stay away from people who act like a victim in a problem they created”
Old 04-07-2020, 08:16 AM #94
thesheriff443

thesheriff443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn. View Post
I love that she bothers you SO much. An impactful Queen
Reality check glenn, it’s a forum, people give opinions on people.

You don’t have to be bothered by someone to have an opinion on them.
But this is what you do, try and make it about the forum member.

Last edited by thesheriff443; 04-07-2020 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:42 AM #95

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesheriff443 View Post
Reality check glenn, it’s a forum, people give opinions on people.

You don’t have to be bothered by someone to have an opinion on them.
But this is what you do, try and make it about the forum member.
Exactly right sheriff.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:57 AM #96

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Every excuse will be found as to why Meghan isn’t that well liked, except the most obvious one - her own behaviour/actions and the way she has treated and used others past and present - which is by far the main reason why many haven’t taken to her post wedding when they found out more about her, from what I can ascertain. I had high hopes for her myself.
But apparently in some eyes Meghan's actions are never wrong (or they never admit or allude to it) and anyone who doesn’t see how innocent she is in all this must have had pre - conceived ideas; is ageist, is racist, etc etc, all the usual excuses. People are allowed to dislike the actions of others and have valid reasons not to take to them as people. It's high handed and presumptuous to sweepingly second - guess what their reasons are and apply them broadly or brand people as ‘haters’. It’s tiresome.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:11 PM #97
Banned

Banned

The UK press is considered among the worst in the world, plenty of the celebs and people who have fallen victim to it have said so. Chances are that both Harry and Megan get more respect from the US press than they do from the UK press so it's strange to slate them for moving and expect them to tolerate vicious bullying and harassment at it's hands.

People hashtag be kind but they don't seem to want to take it on board.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:15 PM #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokka View Post
Why should a grown mature woman be told what to do or how to behave? The very notion is laughable.

You talk about these two women like we are back in the 1800s. The way you are referring to Kate makes her sound like a battered housewife who dare not step out of turn.

Royalty or not... have we not come out of this type of regressive era yet??

Because becoming part of the Royal Family you take on a role or job if you like aswell as being a wife, husband, mother, father so your response is niave. Any job or firm you take or join has rules, dress code, expected behaviour and that includes the Royal Family because perhaps you can appreciate they are not just any family. The priviliges you get...a home, chefs, dressers, cleaners...it goes on and on. They want for nothing and it all gets paid by the tax payer.
Sadly there are a generation of people who think they can just dive in and do things the way they want to with NO RESPECT for anybody but themselves.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:19 PM #99

Quote:

Well you make some very good points there Jet..
Old 04-07-2020, 12:26 PM #100

Quote:
Back with more nonsense.

Well at least its content is far more interesting than those that just give a one line dig at everyone constantly and an inability to debate.
Closed Thread

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
diana, markle, meghan, princess